The Erosion Of Civil Rights, Including Its Effects On SL And Other Online Venues

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Worry more about those who manipulate the narrative to make what is a molehill into a mountain. Some preacher preaches what is probably a fairly standard sermon to a small congregation which for years was not an issue until some newshound thinks he can use it to make it into national news. Christian membership has been dropping for years and yet to listen to the the News and the OP,  Christians are taking over. If that was the intent, it would have been much more likely 50-75 years ago when it represented a much larger portion of the population

What are you referring to as a molehill?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, StarlanderGoods said:

This isnt a "both sides" issue, a partisan court is favoring a religious doctrine over the will of the people.   If you are going to both_sides this, you have to tell me how is the "other side" materially stripping people of rights in a similar magnitude.

These right-wingers are claiming they are reimposing "traditional values" but they AREN'T.

let's just focus on women's issues to give the clearest and starkest example. They are hammering reproductive health, equality of representation and pay, all this stuff they denigrate as the "woke agenda"  - Tell me, how is that honoring the principle in their "traditional values" that a true "man" should DEFEND and PROTECT the women he loves? They are flying in the face of it.

This is not "traditional values", its fascism.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
25 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

What ever happened to the division between church and state?  I'm not a believer in the Bible.  I get tired of groups using that particular book to impose THEIR beliefs onto others using THEIR interpretation.  

Worry more about those who manipulate the narrative to make what is a molehill into a mountain. Some preacher preaches what is probably a fairly standard sermon to a small congregation which for years was not an issue until some newshound thinks he can use it to make it into national news. Christian membership has been dropping for years and yet to listen to the the News and the OP,  Christians are taking over. If that was the intent, it would have been much more likely 50-75 years ago when it represented a much larger portion of the population

I live in the Bible Belt of the US, and your assessment is very, very wrong.  Tons of Christians are in the US, some very nice, the kind who would give you the shirt off their back if you needed it and believe 'love is the answer'.... and others...well...something went very wrong in their heads. They succumbed to political pressure controlling them...wanting a kind of battle like Armageddon, very Old Testament like philosophy.  Researching the issue, you'll see it was a plan of the GOP to manipulate them, knowing the huge swath of the population they could bring to their mission to win votes.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 3

Just now, StarlanderGoods said:

And I asked you for examples, becaue I dont agree with this sweeping remark.

Honestly, I didn't even want to go in too deep at all on a Sunday.. I should have just kept it to my first post and left it at that.. hehehe

It doesn't take too much of a search to find those things if you really want to.

I should have just stuck with, "Ceka, just give a look in the forums and then get'cher butt on the grid! \o/"

hehehe

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I live in the Bible Belt of the US, and your assessment is very, very wrong.  Tons of Christians are in the US, some very nice, the kind who would give you the shirt off their back if you needed it and believe 'love is the answer'.... and others...well...something went very wrong in their heads. They succumbed to political pressure controlling them...wanting a kind of battle like Armageddon, very Old Testament like philosophy.  Researching the issue, you'll see it was a plan of the GOP to manipulate them, knowing the huge swath of the population they could bring to their mission to win votes.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ."  - Mohandas Ghandi.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Honestly, I didn't even want to go in too deep at all on a Sunday.. I should have just kept it to my first post and left it at that.. hehehe

It doesn't take too much of a search to find those things if you really want to.

I should have just stuck with, "Ceka, just give a look in the forums and then get'cher butt on the grid! \o/"

hehehe

You know what? I logged into the forums to look for some scripting help, and I got sucked into the vortex as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well then, if you live in the Bible belt that right away points out you are going to have a skewed view of how predominant it is. I would suspect that many others outside of that area don't see that. I'd also be curious as to what percentage of these evil Christians you are on about, are actually GoP. I'd bet there is a large percentage who are democrats but maybe not as far left as you'd like them to be. I see too that many immigrants coming into your country also have a religiousness that is more traditionally based and that's not even looking at Muslims coming in and their Sharia laws.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, StarlanderGoods said:

This isnt a "both sides" issue, a partisan court is favoring a religious doctrine over the will of the people.   If you are going to both_sides this, you have to tell me how is the "other side" materially stripping people of rights in a similar magnitude.

Interestingly enough, more Americans support the right to choose yet politicians across the country aren't listening to the majority.

How Americans Really Feel About Abortion: The Sometimes Surprising Poll Results As Supreme Court Overturns Roe V. Wade (forbes.com)

: Gallup polls show Americans’ support for abortion in all or most cases at 80% in May 2021, only sightly higher than in 1975 (76%), and the Pew Research Center finds 59% of adults believe abortion should be legal, compared to 60% in 1995—though there has been fluctuation, with support dropping to a low of 47% in 2009.

• Like 2

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:
18 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well then, if you live in the Bible belt that right away points out you are going to have a skewed view of how predominant it is. I would suspect that many others outside of that area don't see that. I'd also be curious as to what percentage of these evil Christians you are on about, are actually GoP. I'd bet there is a large percentage who are democrats but maybe not as far left as you'd like them to be. 

The Bible Belt is a huge area within the US, and because of the way our electoral college distorts representation in government they have a greater influence than blue states.

The Christians who aligned with the fascist elements in government are overwhelmingly GOP.  This group, along with other elements in society, makes up about 30% of the population.  That's enough to win an election.

• Like 4

Have we talked about gerrymandering, yet? Because we should totally talk about the overt practice of redistricting to eliminate traditionally liberal strongholds (Tennessee is going for the gold on that one, dividing Nashville into three predominantly Republican rural districts instead of letting it be one boldly Blue urban area.) and places with high concentrations of people of color, college students, and higher educated people from representation as one city or county. 

Edited by Blaise Glendevon
  • Like 8

Just now, Chris Corvinus said:

@Luna Bliss You posted this on a Sunday, knowing full well no ones gonna lock this thread until tomorrow. While youre entitled to your opinion, this is nothing to do with SL and its all just religion bashing which shouldnt have a place anywhere. 

It's not "religion bashing" to object to someone else's religious sentiments being shoved into our secular laws and civil affairs. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Chris Corvinus said:

@Luna Bliss You posted this on a Sunday, knowing full well no ones gonna lock this thread until tomorrow. While youre entitled to your opinion, this is nothing to do with SL and its all just religion bashing which shouldnt have a place anywhere. 

You don't have to participate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Chris Corvinus said:

Apparently you think you're psychic. I had no such idea about the thread and its potential to be locked. It has simply taken this long to emerge from my dissociation over this abortion decision to even be able to post in an articulate manner.

And in fact, one of my posts was moderated which you'd see if you bothered to read the thread before posting.

And there is no religion bashing going on.  Read my OP, read the thread. And I have a photo of Jesus on my altar.

I am very specifically referring the specific Evangelical Christians who have been subverted by the GOP extremists who control the GOP presently. Not all Evangelical Christians were subverted.

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Interestingly enough, more Americans support the right to choose yet politicians across the country aren't listening to the majority.

How Americans Really Feel About Abortion: The Sometimes Surprising Poll Results As Supreme Court Overturns Roe V. Wade (forbes.com)

: Gallup polls show Americans’ support for abortion in all or most cases at 80% in May 2021, only sightly higher than in 1975 (76%), and the Pew Research Center finds 59% of adults believe abortion should be legal, compared to 60% in 1995—though there has been fluctuation, with support dropping to a low of 47% in 2009.

Literally a handfull of unelected men, dictating the lives of all people.  And where is the oposition? Publicly saying that they are against packing the courts... wich they wouldnt be able to do even if they wanted.  Its one of those moments where things look bad, and I cant see how they can be fixed.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

It's not "religion bashing" to object to someone else's religious sentiments being shoved into our secular laws and civil affairs. 

One is entitled to have an opinion whether or not it is based on the Bible, th Koran Bhuddism, Confucianism or on nothing but one's feelings at any particular time. That it would then reflect on their voting is the basis of this thing called a democracy. The people have spoken.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well then, if you live in the Bible belt that right away points out you are going to have a skewed view of how predominant it is. I would suspect that many others outside of that area don't see that. I'd also be curious as to what percentage of these evil Christians you are on about, are actually GoP. I'd bet there is a large percentage who are democrats but maybe not as far left as you'd like them to be. I see too that many immigrants coming into your country also have a religiousness that is more traditionally based and that's not even looking at Muslims coming in and their Sharia laws.

Pretty sure you have me muted.  Buuuuuuut you’re postulating like you already know the answers to your questions while using terms like skewed in regards to perception.  It’s evident you have no idea how deeply the gop is rooted in conservative Christianity.  

This is an excellent example of what the mindset is here in my state- 

• Like 2

Not giving my opinion one way or the other on abortion but how is Elimination one of the most Grievous examples of legislation from the bench in American history and making the issue go to legislation autocratic?  If this was such an important issue it should have been legislated upon years ago and not left to a single court case.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

One is entitled to have an opinion whether or not it is based on the Bible, th Koran Bhuddism, Confucianism or on nothing but one's feelings at any particular time. That it would then reflect on their voting is the basis of this thing called a democracy. The people have spoken.

Between voter disenfranchisement, gerrymandering, and the electoral college - no. The people have not spoken. The entrenched establishment politicians have spoken.

Using Trump (and lesser loud asshats like Lauren Bobert, MTG, Matt Gaetz, and etc) as a distraction, establishment republicans have maneuvered behind the scenes to achieve the goals they've been campaigning on since Jerry Falwell grifted the "moral majority." 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
10 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Let me try to explain. There is this notion of 'ensoulment' used by the uber-Catholic supreme court justices, to claim that life begins at fertilization.  Most don't believe in 'ensoulment'...some mystical whoosh of whatever entering a fertilized egg.  Yet we, the majority, are now being subjected to their religious beliefs.  This isn't just, this isn't fair. Most of us don't believe in this religious notion they are now dominating the majority with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Blaise Glendevon said:

Between voter disenfranchisement, gerrymandering, and the electoral college - no. The people have not spoken. The entrenched establishment politicians have spoken.

Using Trump (and lesser loud asshats like Lauren Bobert, MTG, Matt Gaetz, and etc) as a distraction, establishment republicans have maneuvered behind the scenes to achieve the goals they've been campaigning on since Jerry Falwell grifted the "moral majority." 

Dont get sucked into the vortex !!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

And no doubt the other side could point their fingers to condemn questionable maneuvering from the other side of the aisle. It is interesting how when Biden came into office, he made a record setting slew of executive decisions. If a particular cause you think is important was not included there, don't blame Trump. There have been plenty enough years of Lib leadership in the last decade and a half that there really is no justification for it not being the way you think it should be.....if the Lib leaders agree with you. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.