NVIDIA Driver 516.40 rolled out on 6/15/2022

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, arabellajones said:

NVIDIA have now brought out v516.59 for Windows, which is reported to correct the problem.

I am not sure that a fix is out for Linux yet.

Not yet, latest for Linux is 515.57.

I'm still on 510 using kubuntu 22.04 LTS, and the current 512 Studio Drivers in Win11. I think I'll stick to Studio for Windows, I don't really play games or use apps there that absolutely require the GRD pack.

3 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

Not yet, latest for Linux is 515.57.

It does have the fix (see my post here) !

Don't get fooled by version numbers (the Linux and the Windows drivers do not have the same): don't forget that the Windows driver also implement DirectX, which is of course not in Linux drivers, so the versioning scheme differs.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I don;'t even know how to update the graphics drivers on my PC gaming system with a 3070 nVidia.

Maybe start at nVidia's driver selection page, https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us which might lead you to https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/190552/en-us/ for driver download if that's the card I think you have.

(There's also a "GeForce Experience" app that kinda manages the driver downloads and installation. I installed that when I installed my 3060, but I can't judge whether it's an improvement over just downloading the driver updates manually.) 

3 hours ago, Anthony Marques said:

I see 516.59 has been released. Any feedback on this with SL use?

Yes I installed the new driver shortly after its release to the UK last night, so far it appears to be good.  All reports that I have seen in the FSE group bear this out.

This is with a GTX 1660Ti on Windows 10 21H2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Not a PC person .. my updater says it will install 30.0.15.1277 released June 14, is that right?

Currently running 30.0.15.1213 for my GeForce RTX3070.

I'm not sure what updater you're using. That version sounds older, like it may be the one with problems, but I'm not sure. My RTX 3060 is running the latest driver which is reported by Device Manager to be 31.0.15.1659, dated 2022-06-23. In contrast, nVidia utilities (GeForce Experience and the NVIDIA Control Panel) report it as version 516.59 released 06/28/2022 which seems to be the most common nomenclature.

I've gone into Device Manager > Display Adaptors and into the Properties for my GeForce RTX3070. It's on a Dell G5.

The 814MB update to 30.0.15.1277 says it was released June 14 and follows one released on April 12.

Later ... okay, found nVidia's Control panel and System Information (as I said, not a PC person normally). All the Components under System Information show 30.0.15.1213. Under the Display tab the driver version says 512.13.

I think I'll update via Device Manager to the latest, since that has a dimmed out Roll Back Driver button on that panel in case of messing up.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong

2 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I've gone into Device Manager > Display Adaptors and into the Properties for my GeForce RTX3070. It's on a Dell G5.

The 814MB update to 30.0.15.1277 says it was released June 14 and follows one released on April 12.

I think I've cracked the version numbering code: 30.0.15.1277 will be known to nVidia as 512.77 by using the last four digits in 30.0.15.1277 and shifting the decimal point, and which anyway precedes the versions where all the problems apparently started, per:

On 6/18/2022 at 3:19 PM, arabellajones said:

Inara Pey has reported that there are a couple of other dodgy version numbers, NVIDIA driver versions 512.95 and 515.48 […]

So I guess if you're not experiencing any problems with Advanced Lighting now, and there's no nVidia update utility whining at you to update, maybe just let sleeping dogs lie? Otherwise, maybe a trip to the nVidia site I cited above to see if it wants to give you a newer version, I guess 516.59 or later.

2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I think I've cracked the version numbering code: 30.0.15.1277 will be known to nVidia as 512.77 by using the last four digits in 30.0.15.1277 and shifting the decimal point, and which anyway precedes the versions where all the problems apparently started, per:

So I guess if you're not experiencing any problems with Advanced Lighting now, and there's no nVidia update utility whining at you to update, maybe just let sleeping dogs lie? Otherwise, maybe a trip to the nVidia site I cited above to see if it wants to give you a newer version, I guess 516.59 or later.

Thanks, there's nothing yelling at me, so maybe you're right. It works, Advaned Lighting works, World of Tanks works, I'll stay safe and just hold off.

On 6/29/2022 at 3:41 PM, Qie Niangao said:

I know some details have confused me, and the 515.xx series are the Linux drivers while the 516.xx series are for Windows. Since a PC can run Linux or Windows, it's even able to give you a choice at boot time if you want to set it up that way, just saying "PC" could lead to confusion.

I am now running 515.57, which is the latest Linux version, and it has the bugfix. I would still recommend waiting for it to come through your distribution's normal upgrade channel. The NVIDIA version is generic, and there are options you have to choose, and it feels a bit scary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's a problem with the direct-from-Nvidia Linux versions if you're using sleep/hibernate options. There can be resume problems on some distributions. This fix gets put out on various "help" sites. This is the link to the original Nvidia instructions, but the "why" of the problem may not be reliable. If you're using an Nvidia-sourced driver, you may still need to apply this fix. It references v470, which is seriously old, but I have seen the problems with v515. The fix still works.

Nvidia fix for suspend/hibernate problems

This seems to be the original source for the particular fix, and it isn't getting clear credit. I have not experienced the problem with any driver upgrade that has come through the normal  distribution upgrade channel.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.