terraforming question

Sorciaa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No, you will not be able to terraform any plot but your own. What happens when your Edit arrows go over onto another property, is than your land is lowered, raised, smoothed or what ever, but theirs is not changed. You also get an annoying pop-up warning that you can't edit the other property.

• Like 1

I think it depends.  I imagine terraforming land surface in SL as being like moving points on a grid up or down, but not sideways. I once exposed the empty space under a neighbor's house by lowering my side of the land too far, so even if you can't terraform your neighbor's parcel you should still be careful.

I find using the smallest tool and the lowest strength and working in slow circles works better than just hammering away.

Builder's Brewery has a terraforming sandbox open to the public.

• Like 4

I've seen the same thing @Rufferta describes. You can't directly terraform your neighbor's parcel, but if you make too drastic a difference happen between your parcel and theirs, it can affect their land by dragging it in relation to what you are doing. If you make minimal changes in small increments, you should be fine.

I also suggest using "smooth" often as you terraform, so you don't get ugly flat drops between your parcel and the ones next to it. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sorciaa said:

ok, here is  another question semi related.. how do people get those crisp boarder lines, when i flatten and try to bring the land up level with that point, it looks all jumbled and uneaven

It might help if you post a photo of what you are talking about, but in general, using "smooth" helps make the borders of adjoining parcels look nicer. 

40 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

It might help if you post a photo of what you are talking about, but in general, using "smooth" helps make the borders of adjoining parcels look nicer. 

i tried smoothing, but it seems to just lower the land. will try to get a screen when i can get back online

5 hours ago, Sorciaa said:

ok, here is  another question semi related.. how do people get those crisp boarder lines, when i flatten and try to bring the land up level with that point, it looks all jumbled and uneaven

Select your total area and then use FLATTEN. Once flattened you can raise or lower. Folks that rent seem to do this often. It really doesn't look all that great.  And to the OP you really can only do so much along the property lines.  Hence best to have a larger parcel than the house that is going on it :D.  It looks the best if you "smooth" the area between your plot and the neighbors but if you adjoin abandoned land that is "bumpy" it is really difficult to get things to look good. 

Been there.   Good luck. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.