Elon Musk buys Twitter to bring back Free Speech

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

30 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I must be a bad person, because I thought he was pretty funny there.

Speaking as someone that lives in her state, "Senator Karen" is really on the mark.

Elon can be funny, you are not a bad person for having a laugh.  The problem with Musk is that people take him seriously, as he is in a position of authority and often speaks from a position of authority.  He has placed himself in that role, and as such every thing he has said is taking nearly as gospel by his most ardent of followers.  There is a level of responsibility that he dismisses, which can at times be concerning when he starts talking about issues he really has no fundamental understanding of, yet due to his ego maintains that role of authority regarding it.  

I get it, he just wants to joke around and have fun.  I can't hate people for being dorks like that, but when someone has thrust themselves as an authority they really should try to remain diplomatic rather than just be "one of the guys".  The consequences of his behavior, reaches an audience that is large and is quite like the setting for lord of the flies.  Some people just take it a bit too far, then before you know it they are burning down the forest and trying to drive a spear through Ralph.. going with this story line and seeing that I am bored, at the end of the movie, Ralph runs into the adult soldier, in this case being Musk, and he just starts to laugh at it all rather than look at the insanity taking place around him.  (I'm being silly now)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

When no other argument is possible, call someone a "Karen".   Did he subsequently post any other response or was that all?  He does sound like a petulant child quite a lot.  

I found the tweets in question. They're from December 2021.

I won't even bother linking them here. They aren't much more mature.

Here's Warren's original tweet though, if you want to brave the comments (his show at the top for me so they might not be too hard to find if you want to read em) - https://twitter.com/SenWarren/status/1470415896053227522

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

When no other argument is possible, call someone a "Karen".   Did he subsequently post any other response or was that all?  He does sound like a petulant child quite a lot.  

This is very much to the point, right?

Musk has -- rightly, I think -- suggested that "free speech" is a cornerstone of democracy.

But not all free speech is created equal, and there's an enormous difference between having the freedom to articulate ideas and opinions that may not be popular, and the freedom to insult someone as much, or as brutally, as one wishes. The former contributes to public discourse, while the latter toxifies and can eventually kill it.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Elon can be funny, you are not a bad person for having a laugh.  The problem with Musk is that people take him seriously, as he is in a position of authority and often speaks from a position of authority.  He has placed himself in that role, and as such every thing he has said is taking nearly as gospel by his most ardent of followers.  There is a level of responsibility that he dismisses, which can at times be concerning when he starts talking about issues he really has no fundamental understanding of, yet due to his ego maintains that role of authority regarding it.  

I get it, he just wants to joke around and have fun.  I can't hate people for being dorks like that, but when someone has thrust themselves as an authority they really should try to remain diplomatic rather than just be "one of the guys".  The consequences of his behavior, reaches an audience that is large and is quite like the setting for lord of the flies.  Some people just take it a bit too far, then before you know it they are burning down the forest and trying to drive a spear through Ralph.. going with this story line and seeing that I am bored, at the end of the movie, Ralph runs into the adult soldier, in this case being Musk, and he just starts to laugh at it all rather than look at the insanity taking place around him.  (I'm being silly now)

In a nutshell...Where there is great power, there is great responsibility.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I must be a bad person, because I thought he was pretty funny there.

Speaking as someone that lives in her state, "Senator Karen" is really on the mark.

I was just purely looking at the picture of his twitter account I didn’t even look at the statements 🙈

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

The problem is that Elon Musk's idea of "free speech" is coddling neo-Nazis and transphobic bigots and insurrectionists while stroking his own ego and *****posting like a 4chan reject.

Ok so do you have any links to substantiate that he does or has? It would modify my opinion of him though not necessarily of his plan to change Twitter to a free or fair speech platform . He doesn't strike me as the transphobic or neo nazi type but I would be open to changing my mind on that if you can trot out any proof of either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I blocked the OP months ago for anti-vax bs and for peddling ivermectin, among other highly volatile things. This thread sure seems to turn into a political sh*t storm too.

I do sometimes wish there were more like you!

9 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
14 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

The problem is that Elon Musk's idea of "free speech" is coddling neo-Nazis and transphobic bigots and insurrectionists while stroking his own ego and *****posting like a 4chan reject.

Ok so do you have any links to substantiate that he does or has? It would modify my opinion of him though not necessarily of his plan to change Twitter to a free or fair speech platform . He doesn't strike me as the transphobic or neo nazi type but I would be open to changing my mind on that if you can trot out any proof of either.

crowdersayselonnewtrumptweet.jpg.b03bf0fc5bd300c7916e7bf44d94cd85.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

from that link:

“I absolutely support trans, but all these pronouns are an esthetic nightmare.” He then pointed out that Tesla had the number one ranking on the Corporate Equality Index, an annual list of the best places for LGBTQ people to work.

That is far from transphobic. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

Many people are being called Hitler and Nazi's (think i've seen it here not too long ago...) but when someone like Elon does it, the Guardian (of all things, lol) obviously has to write about it. Funny that :) 

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Funny how people will Google to support their beliefs, but forget how when those same beliefs are challenged and instead ask for "examples" and "proof". 

If one is going to make a claim that someone is a neo nazi and transphobic, then the onus is on that one to show the proof.

• Like 2

No one but forum readers know if someone is calling anyone else a Nazi.  NO news organization will notice.  None of us are famous.  No one cares what we say outside this forum.  When someone is making himself important, what he says will matter.  You're comparing apples to oranges in regards to who says what and where.  Sheesh.

As to the gender comment.  It may not have been exactly trans phobic but it certainly was dismissive at the very least.  Of.course he's not going to come out and say anything directly against gender but subtle jabs say a lot about someone's overall feelings on a subject.  As @Ayashe Ninetailsmentioned, it wasn't the only time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

If one is going to make a claim that someone is a neo nazi and transphobic, then the onus is on that one to show the proof.

You missed my point- just because you asked for "proof" of something does not obligate anyone to provide it for you. Just because they don't provide you the "proof" you ask for, does not make them wrong. Nobody is obligated to do anything to satisfy you. Isn't personal responsibility a main tenet of Libertarianism?

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

As to the gender comment.  It may not have been exactly trans phobic but it certainly was dismissive at the very least.  Of.course he's not going to come out and say anything directly against gender but subtle jabs say a lot about someone's overall feelings on a subject.  As @Ayashe Ninetailsmentioned, it wasn't the only time.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. He's done that several times. I remember when Grimes came on Twitter to beg him to call her and stop tweeting.

• Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

You missed my point- just because you asked for "proof" of something does not obligate anyone to provide it for you. Just because they don't provide you the "proof" you ask for, does not make them wrong. Nobody is obligated to do anything to satisfy you. Isn't personal responsibility a main tenet of Libertarianism?

I strongly disagree with that. If you make a claim of something and you're being asked to back that up with proof and you decline, that automatically makes you look like you made said claim up.

If someone tells me something and i ask for proof and they say what you just said, that they don't "have" to. I'm not going to take them seriously and i know that the vast majority of people will do exactly that.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.