Weird Reflections in Windows

EnchantrixLisa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, EnchantrixLisa said:

I landed a Stilt under my alt and I really like it but all the windows of the house look like this. It's like a reflection of a tv or something but I have nothing in the home.  Has anyone ever seen something like this and if so how do I fix it?  

Windows.thumb.JPG.2f773dca6df882469a0f29c633c3366d.JPG

On one occasion I have gone to a new home (for me) and found an item of furniture from a previous owner sitting inside, which I was able to return. If right-clicking on it doesn't work, have you tried Build> Pathfinding > Region objects? If you can identify it you can then return it to its owner. If it's not an object, try closing the window blinds then opening them again; the old IT trick of logging out and then in again might work as a 'last resort'. 

• Like 6

Also, check the media panel in the land menu, and if a texture is defined there, just set it to "none".

If you cam into nearby stilts, do you see the glass in their homes the same way?  If so, then it could be that somehow the glass texture has gotten corrupted in your local cache.  Clearing cache should fix that  (preferences/network & files/Directories tab, Clear Cache button).

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Frigga Freidman said:

On one occasion I have gone to a new home (for me) and found an item of furniture from a previous owner sitting inside, which I was able to return. If right-clicking on it doesn't work, have you tried Build> Pathfinding > Region objects? If you can identify it you can then return it to its owner. If it's not an object, try closing the window blinds then opening them again; the old IT trick of logging out and then in again might work as a 'last resort'. 

Thank you for answering. I will try your suggestions and see what happens.  I landed the house yesterday and noticed it and thought maybe a glitch in the Matrix. I logged in today and the issue was still there. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Also, check the media panel in the land menu, and if a texture is defined there, just set it to "none".

If you cam into nearby stilts, do you see the glass in their homes the same way?  If so, then it could be that somehow the glass texture has gotten corrupted in your local cache.  Clearing cache should fix that  (preferences/network & files/Directories tab, Clear Cache button).

Thank you, I will try that as well. :) 

• Like 2

• Moles

I have no idea what caused that issue but re-rezzing the house is my first recommendation for fixing any issue (having first taken note of any custom colours you've used to redecorate the walls, since the new house won't remember those).

When you do rez the house, please stand outside the parcel when you do it, and allow at least 30 seconds before you interact with the house (there's a bug we don't understand that can be triggered if you interact with it, or are inside its physics shape, before the first 30 seconds are up).

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

I have no idea what caused that issue but re-rezzing the house is my first recommendation for fixing any issue (having first taken note of any custom colours you've used to redecorate the walls, since the new house won't remember those).

When you do rez the house, please stand outside the parcel when you do it, and allow at least 30 seconds before you interact with the house (there's a bug we don't understand that can be triggered if you interact with it, or are inside its physics shape, before the first 30 seconds are up).

Hello there,  

I thought I had resolved the problem but it's back.  Now I will say the problem was there when I first TP'd to the location after acquiring it, so I'd not done anything to the home(s) and for whatever reason so far it's only been the Santiago house.  It is now a little after 4am EST and I will try your suggestions.  I will remove everything from the home and I will rezz each house and wait while outside the land parameters.  I will let you know what happens.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, Leora Greenwood said:

Sorry, I could not resist!  Glad to see that your window problems got fixed!  🤣

Oh no worries I was cackling, it was funny.  I was thinking well I hope I don't have to chain her to the bed! 🤣

The problem is back and it would seem my avatars are causing the problem but I don't know why.  This is the first time something like this has happened. I've acquired and abandoned a several parcels and I never had this issue. The windows have what looks like the SL tv screen in all of them. I can see the Youtube icon and other things that flash in them.  I'm really at a lost for words. 🤔🤷🏽‍♀️

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

So I did as you suggested and I learned it's my avatars.  As soon as I walk back onto the parcel the windows get that weird overlay/reflection. And it's moving overlay, like a tv screen. I don't own a SL tv.   As soon as I walk back to the street the windows are clear again. All the houses have this issue.   Now let me say, this is the first time this has ever happened and it's not my first Linden home. I checked my avatars health and complexity and the numbers are good. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

sometimes on some rare occasion it can be some kinda cache corruption.  It hasn't happened to me for quite awhile but sometimes my textures get all mixed up on my screen. The funniest looking is when my avatar skin texture gets painted on the sky 😺

i found that clearing my cache fixed it for me

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

sometimes on some rare occasion it can be some kinda cache corruption.  It hasn't happened to me for quite awhile but sometimes my textures get all mixed up on my screen. The funniest looking is when my avatar skin texture gets painted on the sky 😺

i found that clearing my cache fixed it for me

I will admit I haven't cleared my cache in a few yrs lol. I've heard pros and cons about doing it but maybe I will try that. What is weird is it's both my avatars. 😭

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I thought it was a Matrix-Decoder!

It sorta looks like it lol.  I'm wondering if the last person who had the parcel had a sl tv and some weird way it got baked into the windows?  I don't know, let me not speculate on tech I have no idea how it works. LOL

• Like 1

• Moles
2 hours ago, EnchantrixLisa said:

So I did as you suggested and I learned it's my avatars.  As soon as I walk back onto the parcel the windows get that weird overlay/reflection. And it's moving overlay, like a tv screen. I don't own a SL tv.   As soon as I walk back to the street the windows are clear again. All the houses have this issue.   Now let me say, this is the first time this has ever happened and it's not my first Linden home. I checked my avatars health and complexity and the numbers are good. 

It sounds like a cache issue to me.    That is, rather than downloading textures every time it needs to display them, your viewer stores them locally after the first time it downloads them, and then loads them from your local cache.   Over time, items in the cache can become corrupted, so when your computer receives an instructruction from the simulator to display a particular texture on a particular face of the window, what you see isn't quite what's expected.

You say you've re-rezzed the house, so we know it's not an issue with the particular building.   I'd try cleaning your cache as the next step and see if that helps.   You might try logging in with the official viewer, too, just to confirm that it's a viewer issue and not anything else.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I would not rule our some weird environment setting.  Those do not clear when a parcel changes hands, and as it is only visible when on the parcel, it seems the most likely to me, as a cache issue should be visible whether your avatar is on the parcel or not.  Try setting your environment setting to something new and see if the issue goes away.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

It sounds like a cache issue to me.    That is, rather than downloading textures every time it needs to display them, your viewer stores them locally after the first time it downloads them, and then loads them from your local cache.   Over time, items in the cache can become corrupted, so when your computer receives an instructruction from the simulator to display a particular texture on a particular face of the window, what you see isn't quite what's expected.

You say you've re-rezzed the house, so we know it's not an issue with the particular building.   I'd try cleaning your cache as the next step and see if that helps.   You might try logging in with the official viewer, too, just to confirm that it's a viewer issue and not anything else.

I've always used Firestorm and I can only think of one time I cleared my cache. Then I read other's pros and cons on why to do it or not do it and I just haven't.  But I will do so today. I mean it's been roughly 5 yrs sooo I'm sure I've got a lot of "stuff" in my cache.  The parcel is under my avatar msafrodite and I may just give it up today but I will wait until I clear my cache.   I have a parcel under this avatar account and so far no issues at all. I will let you know how it goes. :)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, EnchantrixLisa said:

Ack! Don't just abandon the parcel, please!  I interpret this differently than you do, I now doubt it's a cache issue.  The fact that it only happens when you are ON the parcel says to me that it's a parcel thing.   I didn't start resetting the environment on every parcel I abandon until recently, I'm really surprised at how many people use different environment settings.  Have you ever done that?  It is the last tab on the Land menu, "Use Region Settings" button.

[Tho, you know, you've NEVER cleared cache???  Oh I'd do that anyway, I've never had a problem with it.  People get freaked out when textures take a while to load when you first visit familiar places, but that passes quickly.].  

Also, one way to check if it's cache is to invite someone else over to see, have you tried that?  If you're comfortable just posting a slurl to it, that would be great.

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.