Why does it matter?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, JuliaFina said:

The fact there are currently 10.35 million people locked up away from society in prison right now says otherwise. 

We're discussing behavior in SL.  Not sure how many prisoners have access to SL.

Encounters in SL should be polite and civil...I'll stand by that.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Some people are better at self-expression through clothing than others -- and a whole lot of people are very very poor "readers" of clothing.

This is a really interesting point. Speaking of how others read clothing - I do have to wonder about those of us who don't strictly adhere to any universally accepted conventional standard of dress whatsoever and what that conveys to others about our availability.

My female avatars are occasionally more masculine than my male - favoring mens suits, athleisure, and industrial outfits or techwear - when I don't have them skipping around in leather anyway. Does that make them more or less available to others? Funny enough, I'll still get IMs wearing all of that (with more traditional hairstyles, anyway) - combat boots and all. So it seems to me that the clothes I'm wearing have little bearing on how approachable and available I seem. Guys still see an opportunity.

On the other hand, my males get ignored, despite one of them having been mistaken for a woman before (he's quite androgynous and I was in Lara with V-Tech at the time, doing a Madonna-cosplay photo shoot). He's got better high heel, fashion, hair, nail, and makeup game than my girls do, but things are nice and peaceful on him. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Myntz Mysterious said:

Someone: Cute avatar
Me: Thanks ❤️ ( I normally add the heart thinking its a genuine compliment with nothing more) 

Why send them a heart emoji lol. What did that heart emoji mean to you? You love getting compliments? It's kinda flirting in my opinion. I would never send a random guy a heart emoji unless I was interested in romance or something. Hearts stand for love.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, JuliaFina said:

Why send them a heart emoji lol. What did that heart emoji mean to you? You love getting compliments? It's kinda flirting in my opinion. I would never send a random guy a heart emoji unless I was interested in romance or something. Hearts stand for love.

The heart emoji on these forums means Like so...

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, JuliaFina said:

Haven't I seen you somewhere before?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Respect = polite and civil

We live in a civilization.  People have mentioned in this thread that it's a basic animal instinct.  Well, some animals kill their young, some even eat them.  Let's all hope we've risen above those instincts.

Can you point out where in that post you said you were only talking about behaviors in sl? 

Can you name any animals that play sl?

What is your definition of "a civilization?" 

That's what is not being polite, misconstruing what you posted and was replied to. My reply was an answer to this post of yours. No need for you to rudely post I was bringing up a non-sl topic, You brought it up first with this post about animal behaviors and civilizations.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Courtesy and consideration is fine but what I am reading in some of these posts from others is being insulted in receiving any sort of communication at all.

That's right. I find it rude, strange, and creepy to be approached for sex by strangers.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The heart emoji on these forums means Like so...

Oh like boxes of chocolates in the shape of hearts we get from our partners on valentines day? That means like to you? Hearts are the universal symbol for love. Google it!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, JuliaFina said:

Simple put. Thats YOU not me...

I add it to show I greatly appreciated the comment. Nothing more. I take pride in the time I put into my avatars.

When I walk into a room filled with people I will typically say "Hi hi <3" which does NOT mean Im looking for an orgy...  😒

And pretty sure the "no" I said twice to his advances SHOULD of been enough to show I'm not interested. 

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, JuliaFina said:

Oh like boxes of chocolates in the shape of hearts we get from our partners on valentines day? That means like to you? Hearts are the universal symbol for love. Google it!

I'm merely saying that the heart emoji on the forums clearly says Like and not Love so it can be seen either way. Hover over it and see.  No need to google.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, JuliaFina said:

That random guy IM'd her first. I always respond to compliments by saying "thanks :)" is that also flirting to you as well. You are talking like one of those "guys". Be careful or your cover might be blown.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Everyone is different. I show I'm not interested by not talking to them. No mixed messages that way.  Most times I never even open my IM's to see what was said or by whom. I'm usually too busy doing my own stuff to notice what others are saying. I also don't see them lol. You literally have to zoom and turn your camera to look at someone most times. Normally I'm zoomed in on my own face lol. I would not see anyone right next to me. Sometimes I go to privacy tab/IM's from friends only...turn off sound too. I'm not sure why people open or answer unsolicited IM's? I rarely do. They don't bug me. If I was bored and opened up a bunch of my random IM's I just find it interesting what they say. I don't care what they say. We can't control other people or what they say. Why care? 

It's not like an IM is auto read. You have to click a bunch of buttons to see what it said. I wonder if most people go into their chat settings and see all the options. There are tons! Everything from sound, pop ups and on and on. Tons of options. Oh you can turn off other avatars from rendering too! Be funny if they added a setting where you could not see or hear various types of avatars. So you could turn off all interactions with males or robots or females or whatever you wanted. 

• Haha 1

So, in summary. It matters to some, it matters less or none to others, and the reasons for why it might matter differ.

People have their own reasons and perspectives.

All good, right?

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, JuliaFina said:

Can you point out where in that post you said you were only talking about behaviors in sl? 

Can you name any animals that play sl?

What is your definition of "a civilization?" 

That's what is not being polite, misconstruing what you posted and was replied to. My reply was an answer to this post of yours. No need for you to rudely post I was bringing up a non-sl topic, You brought it up first with this post about animal behaviors and civilizations.

I mentioned animal behavior because some cited it as the reason for men's bad behavior in SL and my hope that we've risen above that type of excuse.  

I'll let you look up the definition of civilization.

I've been polite and civil in my responses.  Just because I don't agree or question someone's statement does not mean I'm being uncivil.

Are you done now?  I am.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I always respond to compliments by saying "thanks :)" is that also flirting to you as well. You are talking like one of those "guys". Be careful or your cover might be blown.

Yes to me it is. It is opening a conversation window. The subconscious message there is I am open to talk to you. That I want to talk to them. I'm lonely or whatever. I just assume avatars with male names are male rl so I assume you are male rl. But I don't care what people are rl unless I am in a romantic relationship with them. I think oh they made a male first cause they are male rl....thus the male name.... then they switched to playing a female as it is more fun. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JuliaFina said:

Yes to me it is. It is opening a conversation window. The subconscious message there is I am open to talk to you. That I want to talk to them. I'm lonely or whatever. I just assume avatars with male names are male rl so I assume you are male rl. But I don't care what people are rl unless I am in a romantic relationship with them. I think oh they made a male first cause they are male rl....thus the male name.... then they switched to playing a female as it is more fun. 

Yes, I am male. My forum picture indicates that. LOL (rolls my eyes)

You are making less sense the more you post. Might want to take a breather and have lunch or dinner and come back.

Edit to add: Sam/SAMANTHA -- It's a nickname but even if it wasn't it's not a name exclusive to males. Thats just simply ignorant.

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.