Do We Need a Level Between Basic and Premium?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 3/12/2022 at 9:55 PM, Rowan Amore said:

But giving us the stipend costs them nothing.  Reducing the cost of premium and they'll make a.lot less money.  

In my case and in many others, I'm sure, it costs them what I would have to pay if I bought the Lindens.

4 hours ago, cunomar said:

If i could go to a shop and buy a gift card for cash which i could exchange for linden inworld then i might have spent a thousand times more on sl than i actually have .

I subscribe to nothing , never have and never will .

Several years ago, I did use a VISA gift card as a payment source. As I understand it, it's hit or miss whether they will work, and it could have changed since then, anyway.

• Like 1

I can't see the need for an additional membership level between Basic and Premium. If you're a premium member you can already choose and change your additional "level" in terms of land ownership based on how much land you want / need and how much tier you're willing to pay.  People are always saying that SL is a steep and confusing learning curve for new residents, so adding an extra membership level would just add to the confusion. 

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 10:27 PM, Crim Mip said:

I'd be perfectly happy if they'd get rid of the weekly stipend and reduce the yearly cost by the value of that which would mean it would be around $36. Only allow that for paying for a full year though. Other than that, I actually use the rest of the benefits and don't see how they could easily reduce those and still make it worth accounting for a new level.

On 3/12/2022 at 4:50 PM, JeromFranzic said:

I love the $60 price. When divided in 12, that's the same per month as the suggested amount for supporting the OSGrid sims over at Open Simulator.

I am on board also for that one time fee to get rid of the Resident surname. I like my display name in world, and that's what I want to use for my account as well (Jerralyn Franzic).  

I agree with this, a sub $100 annual price for Premium would make it more enticing to go Premium again. Removing the stipends would be fine for me and likely many others who already have an inworld income through MP sales, DJ tips etc or simply buying a lump sum whenever needed instead of relying on a weekly pay that barely covers one marketplace purchase or a tip or two. The $60 price might actually tempt me to purchase Premium for 2 accounts to double up on the amount of land.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I like this part of your idea.
And simultaneously start giving every new signup a choice of a last name again at sign up.

2022 roadmap: Restore what was good but disappeared and fix what is broken. It could be that simple.

Well said!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lower cost sub option that gives you a stipend, land access, and more groups will just cause people to downgrade to that option. If there was a middle ground, it needs to do something different.

The only thing that comes to mind is having a lower cost sub option that simply gives you land ownership access. Nothing more. Land is so stupidly expensive anyways that I doubt anyone would downgrade from Premium to this just over land, but I could see people upgrading to it just so they can purchase land. However, there is still a reason to upgrade from that to Premium.

On 3/12/2022 at 5:04 PM, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I think what will happen is those that are full premium now will downgrade to the economy level and LL will lose money instead of making money with the extra level.  It's inevitable.  

I do think the name change cost should be reduced to $9.99. $39.99 is ridiculous especially if you have to pay for premium as well to be able to do it. $39.99 should be the price if you are not a premium member.

I would, without a thought, change my alt's name for $10. Not even a question, and it would generate free money.

Edited by HarrisonMcKenzie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 9:55 PM, Rowan Amore said:

But giving us the stipend costs them nothing.  Reducing the cost of premium and they'll make a.lot less money.  

You are wrong. As long as one can sell them back and get real currency, it's that much of a liability on their books until they buy it back. Once they have them, then they are worthless. They can't sell them to themselves for real money and gain anything. They could literally just erase them. L$ only have value if they are in circulation. Real currency is the same by the way. The US government could simply start burning currency once it came into the Federal reserve banks and be out nothing aside from the cost of printing more if they needed it. The accounting would be more cumbersome but currency in the government's possession is just fancy printed paper.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Crim Mip said:

You are wrong. As long as one can sell them back and get real currency, it's that much of a liability on their books until they buy it back. Once they have them, then they are worthless. They can't sell them to themselves for real money and gain anything. They could literally just erase them. L$ only have value if they are in circulation. Real currency is the same by the way. The US government could simply start burning currency once it came into the Federal reserve banks and be out nothing aside from the cost of printing more if they needed it. The accounting would be more cumbersome but currency in the government's possession is just fancy printed paper.

Giving us 300L stipend costs LL nada.  LL isn't buying anything back.  Other residents are buying when you sell.  LL collects fees on buying and selling otherwise they have NO value to LL.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Giving us 300L stipend costs LL nada.  LL isn't buying anything back.  Other residents are buying when you sell.  LL collects fees on buying and selling otherwise they have NO value to LL.  

In my case, it's responsible for my buying L$300 less per week than I otherwise would; if they didn't give it to me, I would be paying them for it. It's costing them what I would pay.

You all are not purchasing or selling to or from Linden Lab.  It's only costing them any fee they would charge you for buying them.

the LindeX exchange works by matching existing buyers and sellers of L$ currency together to automatically reach the best price for currency. For buyers, fees charged for purchasing currency are automatically charged to their Second Life account. For sellers, withdrawals of US$ generated through sales may be made  through PayPal

Note that when buying and selling Linden Dollars (L$) through LindeX, residents are not trading directly with Linden Lab; rather, they are trading with OTHER residents and can set buy/sell prices and limits at their own discretion.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.