Ever heard of the "Integration Bee"? (Math)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's like a spelling bee but instead of spelling, you need to be good at solving integrals from calculus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_Bee

I just found out about it today. I'd probably do terribly because I don't have the patience for really complicated integrals....

(Just thought I'd mention this here because Philip Rosedale was a Physics major and probably had to deal with integrals a lot at least when in school....)

• Sad 1

This reminds me of "Electromagnetic Fields and Waves", the toughest course I took in engineering school. Damn you Maxwell.

On the midterm exam, there was a question involving a charged metal rod and a charged metal sphere. We were to calculate the electrostatic potential, with respect to the sphere, at a point in the arrangement. The coordinates of the objects and measurement point were expressed in an unusually opaque way. I wracked my brain for minutes, trying to imagine what integrals might crack the problem. I had a half page of calculations leading nowhere before I scribbled through the entire mess and just wrote "ZERO!" in frustration.

Well, guess what? The correct answer was zero!

As it turned out, it was a trick question. The measurement point, for those who pierced the deceptive veil of the professor's coordinates, was inside the sphere, not outside. As a result, the potential on the charged rod was inconsequential. The potential at any measurement point inside the sphere would be exactly that of the sphere itself. The difference would therefore be zero. The professor had described a Faraday cage.

When I got the exam back, my answer was marked incorrect, with a little note...

"Next time, don't show your work".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This reminds me of "Electromagnetic Fields and Waves", the toughest course I took in engineering school. Damn you Maxwell.

On the midterm exam, there was a question involving a charged metal rod and a charged metal sphere. We were to calculate the electrostatic potential, with respect to the sphere, at a point in the arrangement. The coordinates of the objects and measurement point were expressed in an unusually opaque way. I wracked my brain for minutes, trying to imagine what integrals might crack the problem. I had a half page of calculations leading nowhere before I scribbled through the entire mess and just wrote "ZERO!" in frustration.

Well, guess what? The correct answer was zero!

As it turned out, it was a trick question. The measurement point, for those who pierced the deceptive veil of the professor's coordinates, was inside the sphere, not outside. As a result, the potential on the charged rod was inconsequential. The potential at any measurement point inside the sphere would be exactly that of the sphere itself. The difference would therefore be zero. The professor had described a Faraday cage.

When I got the exam back, my answer was marked incorrect, with a little note...

"Next time, don't show your work".

Dang. I can so relate (except for guessing the right answer!)

13 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

* True fact, look it up.

I did!

The following table is a summary of the derivatives of position:

derivative terminology SI unit meaning
-5 absounce m·s5 time integral of abserk
-4 abserk m·s4 time integral of abseleration
-3 abseleration m·s³ time integral of absity
-2 absity m·s² time integral of absement
-1 absement (absition) m·s time integral of position
0 position (displacement) m position
1 velocity m·s-1 rate-of-change of position
2 acceleration m·s-2 rate of change of velocity
3 jerk m·s-3 rate of change of acceleration
4 jounce (snap) m·s-4 rate of change of jerk
5 crackle m·s-5 rate of change of jounce
6 pop m·s-6 rate of change of crackle
7 lock m·s-7 rate of change of pop
8 drop m·s-8 rate of change of lock

From: http://www.wearcam.org/absement/Derivatives_of_displacement.htm

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I did!

The following table is a summary of the derivatives of position:

derivative terminology SI unit meaning
-5 absounce m·s5 time integral of abserk
-4 abserk m·s4 time integral of abseleration
-3 abseleration m·s³ time integral of absity
-2 absity m·s² time integral of absement
-1 absement (absition) m·s time integral of position
0 position (displacement) m position
1 velocity m·s-1 rate-of-change of position
2 acceleration m·s-2 rate of change of velocity
3 jerk m·s-3 rate of change of acceleration
4 jounce (snap) m·s-4 rate of change of jerk
5 crackle m·s-5 rate of change of jounce
6 pop m·s-6 rate of change of crackle
7 lock m·s-7 rate of change of pop
8 drop m·s-8 rate of change of lock

From: http://www.wearcam.org/absement/Derivatives_of_displacement.htm

Sigh. This is what I get for not going to Cal Tech.  My mechanical engineering classes never got beyond jerk, and at that it was only mentioned in passing. We never heard of time integrals of position at all. Now I'll have to go find out what all these oddly-named properties are.

30 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Sigh. This is what I get for not going to Cal Tech.  My mechanical engineering classes never got beyond jerk, and at that it was only mentioned in passing. We never heard of time integrals of position at all. Now I'll have to go find out what all these oddly-named properties are.

I learned about absition, position, velocity, acceleration and jerk in home school, because one of my teachers used those in his work, and in the design of the trebuchet we used to toss peas at mom and tomatoes into the neighbor's yard. I think I learned of snap, crackle, and pop in the fun back pages of an engineering magazine. The rest are new to me, as a result of @Arduenn Schwartzman's goading.

I think I've told the story of my autumn freshman year mechanical engineering class, "Statics", to be followed by "Dynamics" in the spring. On the first day of class, the professor grabbed a heavy steel counterweight (from the school's ginormous beam balance) and held it out at arm's length in front of him, until he started to shake...

"This, dear students, is STATICS".

Then he dropped the weight, which blew a chuck of linoleum covered concrete out of the floor and scared an entire wing of students out of their classrooms.

"And this, dear students, is DYNAMICS".

Some lessons you never forget.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.