If people want privacy so bad they put up ban lines...

Setsuki Takeda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

people do some strange things with their land sometimes

i never took any photo of it at the time, but I was going up Route 10 a while ago.  There was a 512m parcel next to the road.  It had banlines up. And on top of the banline box the owner had put a 16x32 grass texture prim with a chair on top. And nothing on the parcel below the grass prim inside the banline box

i admit it did make me laugh a little bit. You weirdo you !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/2/2022 at 1:41 PM, Sparkle Bunny said:

I can see that it's a bit nuanced for someone who isn't a native speaker, though; they evidently think it means the same as 'criminal'.

this is true where I live. Is a majoritarian english-speaking country. where the common understanding of the word offender, is a person charged by the police with an offence against the law

and is also commonly understood that when I am offended by what someone else says or does then they are not an offender if what they said or did is not illegal

which can sometimes lead to funny conversations because of accent. Like

person: Hey! I take offence to that !!

other person: Why ever would you just take a fence, should take the gate as well !! 

person: waht !!

other person: kehehehe ! chill my friend

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2022 at 9:57 AM, NanashiNyx said:

File that one under "Duh."

Yes, private land is for their use as they see fit, but if they want privacy they would save a bit on the purchase price moving back off the road (Security through obscurity, nobody is going to accidentally drive off the road into your place if you're not *on* the road, no?) where they're not causing issues by lining *public* areas with ban-lines and security orbs...

Or just stop being a massive cheapskate and pay for an *actual* private area (no camming in, no potential for trolling people on the parcel from public areas adjacent to it, and most importantly not being a damn nuisance by lining the common areas of the mainland with your paranoid reclusivity) on their own region.

Did the clarification help?

I've not read through the whole thread so dunno if anyone has suggested this, but go onto MP and do a search for banline hud, problem solved.

As for assuming everyone who doesn't own a full region is a cheapskate is insulting to say the least!! I pay for what I can afford, and no I can't afford a full region, that doesn't make me a cheapskate. Why not flip that around and why don't we call you a cheapskate for not having a full region with private roads and no ban lines?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Cynical Cloud said:

Why not flip that around and why don't we call you a cheapskate for not having a full region with private roads and no ban lines?

Because having a private region would kinda defeat the purpose of roads now, wouldn't it?

I had one, got sick of my beautiful network of roads not going anywhere, aside from letting the scripted public transit system move people around the sim...

The "cheapskate" line is a dig at how all the banline and zero second orb (which is worse, at least you have a chance to bounce off a banline, a TP Home orb with no warning is absolutely malicious and should only ever be used with blacklisted avatars on an open parcel) people respond with an indignant reply about how they pay for this 512 parcel (Umm, that's half the premium freebie, kids.) and if you want land without banlines you should buy your own!

I *did* have my own, half a region after I moved from my private server, though when lockdown ended everyone left so paying tier on a ghost town (no matter how nice it was or how many great facilities were there) was a waste of resources. Now I only have an 1120 left with a little area for my DFS plants on the ground by my tent and a skybox with my "adult" stuff floating up there well out of flight range so if I turn on the lockdown mode for the loft orb it won't kick people from the ground, though I kept the road access and disposed of the interior land so I own the best portion of the region.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 6:16 AM, NanashiNyx said:

Why do they always seem to buy land right on the side of a Linden Road so when you have a bad sim crossing and slip off the edge you end up with your vehicle returned and cursing the "little dears" who could have saved some money (and improved the blood pressure of everyone who drives often) by buying inland areas with no road access.

Why?  
Why not blame bad / poor sim crossing behavior in Second Life? Why not blame vehicles that don't handle bad / poor sim crossings well? Why focus on the land owners adjacent to the road? 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

It amuses me to this day that on the mainland this huge open space on a grid where the primary mode of travel is walking, LL decided to

A. Build roads with not even those narrow little American sidewalks, but no sidewalks at all

B. Build absolutely no path networks to walk at all

To LL I suppose it's normal, being where the company comes from, but to me it's wild and makes me laugh to this day

my peeve about mainland roads is vehicles that drive on the wrong side of the road. Like they should drive on the left like like normal people. When i walk like normal people do, on the right shoulder of the road facing on-coming traffic then is always (like always always seems like) some hooligan driving on the wrong side, sneaking up behind me and try to run me over

i think that the Traffic Enforcement Department officers should be out patrolling the roads, and giving traffic violation tickets ( lock them up in jail even) to these not normal hooligan people who think that driving on the right is normal when it isn't and never will be, no matter how many times they want to argue about it. Wrong is wrong and right is really wrong

😸

• Haha 4

Based on what I see living on mainland the most common mode of travel is teleporting and flying without vehicles.  Where we are going, we don't need roads, or flying cars.  Those have been obsoleted and relegated to "toy" status.  Still, you should have places to play with your toys, just remember, they are exactly that, toys, not necessities.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Based on what I see living on mainland the most common mode of travel is teleporting and flying without vehicles.  Where we are going, we don't need roads, or flying cars.  Those have been obsoleted and relegated to "toy" status.  Still, you should have places to play with your toys, just remember, they are exactly that, toys, not necessities. 

I hope there is no confusion about what, in a virtual world, is a toy and what is a necessity.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.