Can no longer add items! :(

Canuck01

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 854 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Things were going fine, when i tried to add an item of clothing... the "Add" option was greyed out! This is the 1st time I've had this issue, I checked and followed previous instructions to clear my cashe but is hasnt worked.... Has anyone else encountered this?? 

Thank you ahead of time! :)

6 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

What are the chances that the limit will be increased?

Hopefully none at all.

How tempting it might be for the Barbie Doll Dressing Up™ fans, but avatars lag the hell out of SL already as it is at the moment.
What is the point of even further beautification of your Barbie or Ken, if everyone else sees you unrezzed in clubs, at parties and shopping events?

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Hopefully none at all.

How tempting it might be for the Barbie Doll Dressing Up™ fans, but avatars lag the hell out of SL already as it is at the moment.
What is the point of even further beautification of your Barbie or Ken, if everyone else sees you unrezzed in clubs, at parties and shopping events?

Some of my greatest enjoyment of SL comes from tweaking my avatar to make it better and from putting together outfits. I get it. That's not your thing; you value something else more. There are all kinds of groups and gathering places in SL that cater to all kinds of preferences. If it's your thing, make a simple avatar and associate with others who do the same, but don't deride people like me who enjoy aspects of SL that you don't. What is the point of being in SL if I can't keep pimping my avatar?

When I started SL, I thought is was like a big, adult game of dolls; I still do.

I could make an avatar with complexity of 1,000, if I wanted to, but being invisible is no fun.

For many years, I have observe tension in the forums between people who want to use SL's features fully and those who say we should forego using features because using them might cause lag. To be sure, there's a trade-off, but one size doesn't fit all. People need to enjoy SL in the way that suits them, hang out with others who enjoy it the same way, and hang out in places where like-minded people congregate.

The solution is more computing power and/or more efficient software.

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Maybe as a premium plus feature?  I've yet to ever reach the limit, though.

Great idea! I definitely would be interested.

I never would be at the limit when walking around, but I sometimes hit it when trying to get dressed because of the number of HUDs I need to wear when I first don an outfit. After I've set it up to my liking, I can detach the HUDs, but while adjusting colors of different items, I need them all.

If LL allowed me additional attachment points only on my own land, it would almost completely solve the issue for me.

4 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Simple hint: One can reattach  HUDs during the process multiple times.
It's only one click extra work.

Oh, silly me! I don't know why didn't I think of that.

Actually, I do know: it's a PITA to find each of several HUDs in inventory and attach and detach them multiple times. I either have to have an inventory window open for each HUD or scroll or search for each one each time it needs to be attached.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Actually, I do know: it's a PITA to find each of several HUDs in inventory and attach and detach them multiple times. I either have to have an inventory window open for each HUD or scroll or search for each one each time it needs to be attached.

Hello Jennifer! Hope all is well.

As a seasoned player, I'm certain that you know this, but for the benefit of people who are new to Firestorm, "Favorite Wearables" [link] is a great feature to make HUDs easily accessible. I use it and based on previous posts in the forum, I understand that many others use it as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Echelon Alcott said:

Hello Jennifer! Hope all is well.

As a seasoned player, I'm certain that you know this, but for the benefit of people who are new to Firestorm, "Favorite Wearables" [link] is a great feature to make HUDs easily accessible. I use it and based on previous posts in the forum, I understand that many others use it as well.

That's where I keep things like body and head HUDs and nail polish Hud.  The only HUDs I need when changing clothes are top, bottom, shoes usually.  The ONLY HUD on all the time is my AO and only because I'm too lazy to use the Firestorm AO. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

What are the chances that the limit will be increased?

In the past these limits have been increased as computer and network speed increased. While I can't quantify the chances, I think there is a reasonable possibility.

22 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Oh, silly me! I don't know why didn't I think of that.

There are shortcuts for adding HUDs. One I think that will work across all viewers is an outfit with just the HUD's you use. You can ADD and REMOVE them as needed as a group or individually.

I have several starter outfits. These are basically my nude avatar. So, mesh body, head, hair, and pertinent HUDs. I can open any of those outfits in appearance and add/wear a HUD.

In Firestorm there are Favorite Wearables. Drag and drop your HUDs into that panel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

In the past these limits have been increased as computer and network speed increased. While I can't quantify the chances, I think there is a reasonable possibility.

There are shortcuts for adding HUDs. One I think that will work across all viewers is an outfit with just the HUD's you use. You can ADD and REMOVE them as needed as a group or individually.

I have several starter outfits. These are basically my nude avatar. So, mesh body, head, hair, and pertinent HUDs. I can open any of those outfits in appearance and add/wear a HUD.

In Firestorm there are Favorite Wearables. Drag and drop your HUDs into that panel.

I do this, too. I have a couple base avatars containing body/HUD, skin, shape, hair, glasses/HDS, earrings, AO etc. I've named those !Core-desc, where "desc" is a short description of the core type. Those always sit at the top of the outfits list. I also have a !!HUDs outfit containing various HUDs I might need to fix things (body, add-ons etc) and an "!!All HUDs" outfit that contains damned near every transient HUD I own, like fatpack color/texture/style selectors. A complete change of look go something like:

Wear "!Core-Casual"
Add "Mechanic"
Clean up lint (like improper alpha) if necessary
Select colors/textures/styles from fatpack HUDs.
Remove "!!All-HUDs"

To change to another casual outfit I'd:
Remove "Mechanic"
Add "Bikini"

If there's an alpha problem, I'll do:
Add "!!HUDs"
Fix the problem
Remove "!!All HUDs"

If body problems persist, I'll usually fix them with a save stick or a custom alpha added to the outfit.

Though I have a few things in the Favorite Wearables button, I rarely go there because I've almost always got the Outfits window open when I need those things, and they're at the top of the list already.

The one problem I haven't solved well is that HUDs often obscure each other. I'll can resize/relocate them, but if I use the same item in multiple outfits I eventually get overlap. That might have me removing HUDs individually, then adding the outfit again to get them back. I'm not one for changing my look (SL or RL) terribly often, so this hasn't been a big issue.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

@Madelaine McMasters  When making my !~!Add-Remove [description here] outfits the only way I have found to edit the outfit is in the Inventory Panel->Outfits->[outfit name]. There I remove all the items except those I want to add or remove. Have you found another way?

Let's say I buy a new top to replace one that's in an existing outfit. I'll wear one of my core outfits, add the outfit I wish to modify, wear the new top, possibly remove unwanted other things, then remove the core and save the outfit (so that my outfits remain independent of my core looks). If that doesn't get me where I want to go, I'll run off to the inventory Outfits folder and noodle there. If I'm doing a lot of wardrobe work, I'll do it in the Inventory Outfits folder, like you. That's a much more capable and friendly tool for modifying outfits.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Thanks 1

Either more attachment points, or set a different collection for BoM layers, preferably with a more reliable load order than using outfits has proven to be.

I use a lot of *small* tweaks that add up fast since they're very specific edits to shadows or highlights on my skin. 

38 is more than enough for actual attachments in most cases, but when you start adding skin that comes in parts for every single area it fills up quick, I mean my eyebrows aren't connected to my face and I need a shadow edit to make skins look right on Maitreya Petite since basic skins tend to have shadows built in to them for more well endowed bodies.

I can, however, see running out of slots without using them up with minor tweaks for some unlinked bondage gear that changes form. Things like straps where you technically wear every piece even though only a few of them are visible. That can easily be twenty items for one set.

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, NanashiNyx said:

Either more attachment points, or set a different collection for BoM layers, preferably with a more reliable load order than using outfits has proven to be.

I use a lot of *small* tweaks that add up fast since they're very specific edits to shadows or highlights on my skin. 

38 is more than enough for actual attachments in most cases, but when you start adding skin that comes in parts for every single area it fills up quick, I mean my eyebrows aren't connected to my face and I need a shadow edit to make skins look right on Maitreya Petite since basic skins tend to have shadows built in to them for more well endowed bodies.

I can, however, see running out of slots without using them up with minor tweaks for some unlinked bondage gear that changes form. Things like straps where you technically wear every piece even though only a few of them are visible. That can easily be twenty items for one set.

BOM layers do NOT count as attachments.  You can add up to 60 of those if I'm not mistaken.

Max. # of clothing layers - 60 including alpha, tattoo, shoe base, physics, socks, gloves, undershirt, underpants, shirt, pants, jacket, skirt

On viewers before Second Life Release 3.7.29.301305, the potential total was still 60, but limited to 5 items of each type.

In any case, only one each of shape, skin, eyes and hair base may be worn. These 4 basic body parts are in addition to the 60 clothing layers.

Max. # of attachments - 38 combined HUD or body attachments.

They can be viewed by right-clicking your avatar and choosing Edit My Outfit.

With the formal introduction of multiple attachments to a single point in Viewer 2.4, you can attach up to 38 total objects, and they can all be attached to a single point.

With the introduction of the Bento armature, there are 47 attachment points available.

With the introduction of Animesh, there is a limit of 1 Animesh attachment, 2 if the resident has premium.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2022 at 3:50 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Maybe as a premium plus feature?  I've yet to ever reach the limit, though.

Considering how premiums already get increased limits for groups, IMs, and animesh attachments, I think this will happen in some form eventually.

1 hour ago, NanashiNyx said:

set a different collection for BoM layers, preferably with a more reliable load order than using outfits has proven to be.

The order of each layer is saved as part of the outfit (and can be adjusted in the appearance window), so the layers will always be worn in the same order, every time.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 854 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.