Would I be a bad Belli/Linden home neighbor?

HeathcliffMontague

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Back as Premium. Sold my Mainland property and happily been renting for a while, and it makes sense after my rent runs out to get a Belli something. Scaling down a bit. But..

The homes are all so claustrophobic. First thing I'd want to do to would be to tear down a lot of walls to create more space inside (not possible I know). What's the point of all those tiny rooms in a tiny house? There's a garden outside that could be used for "more house", as I see it. But that's just me...

I might go back to the old days of Linden homes when I actually had neighbors I talked to more or less regularly, though, and there was an actual neghborhood of sorts, so there is that :) 

If I get a Linden Home I would basically furnish it scarcely and tastefully and pop by at times, but my "real" home would probably be a skybox at, I dunno, 3000 m above. If I found a good place I might have a motorcycle parked outside at ground level, to, you know, drive around, but not anything major or scary to anyone. Who knows, I might get to be a more land level dweller as time goes on :) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

Back as Premium. Sold my Mainland property and happily been renting for a while, and it makes sense after my rent runs out to get a Belli something. Scaling down a bit. But..

The homes are all so claustrophobic. First thing I'd want to do to would be to tear down a lot of walls to create more space inside (not possible I know). What's the point of all those tiny rooms in a tiny house? There's a garden outside that could be used for "more house", as I see it. But that's just me...

You clearly haven't looked inside the Chalet and Fantasy homes, let alone the soon-to-be-released Moderns. There are open plan options which, frankly, many of us find *too* large!

• Like 5

You should absolutely have a skybox if you want! I bet lots of people do. It is nice if you set a lamp on the porch, or park a bike as you said.

But for the Traditionals, it is made lots of add-ons. I used my huge, one room add-on with roof windows to live in. I will not post it because I do not sell it. It has lots of faults that you can't see in a small picture.

• Like 2

Beyond Campers and Traditionals--I find all the Linden Homes a little too large for 351 prims. 

Only the Traditionals can be done well with 351 prims, but I probably like to over decorate. 

I feel like on the other themes, there are not enough prims for both the kind of garden I like and a fully furnished interior.  I have learned to split the difference as best as I can and keep trying to evolve to do better on that prim balance. I find it a challenge I enjoy. In general, if you can't do the 351 prims well, or the houses seem too small, mainland or rentals might make you happier?  Another thing about Linden Homes, they are landscaped around the perimeter for you, and the house does not count against your prims entitlement, so you are in a way getting more than 351 prims!

I love Linden Homes because you can get beautiful, protected water views and there is uniformity that makes things seem pretty and balanced. There are no ads, and there are some standards about sky building and certain restrictions to keep the neighborhoods looking pristine. It's kind of like having an HOA. LOL They offer eight new themes to choose from, and four older themes, but they mentioned phasing the older ones out in the future.  Even within one particular theme the regions will have different terrains and topography, so you can try to house hop until you get one that suits you well.

However, on mainland you have the power to gather up as much land/prims as you want, and there is very little stopping your creativity. Both have positive points but it's good you are at least trying it out to see if you like it?

Never know if you never try. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Fay Starlight said:

Beyond Campers and Traditionals--I find all the Linden Homes a little too large for 351 prims. 

[Jumps up and down]  Doyles! Doyles! And Tortugas and Havanas! (None of which is useful for Heathcliff, as he wants S-P-A-C-E , but I just had to stick up for other themes having do-able options for 351 LI)

;) 

Edited by Frigga Freidman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

To see the largest interiors, I think you could check out the following models: 

Stilt Homes - Tortuga

Fantasy Homes: All 4 that end with the word "spell".

Houseboats:  Barnacle.  Really, check all 4 models out because some have large exterior decks.  Add-ons can give you a 2nd deck above the first as well, and of course extend out over the water as far as you like.  Houseboats and (more rarely) stilts can also be found that have only one neighbor and a LOT of water, which gives me a sense of open space.

Chalets: Moritzburg, Albus, Ravensburg, and Eikelen models.

There are no Traditionals or Campers with large interior spaces.

Sadly, tho it's often been requested,  @Patch Linden  has never had the moles put together a permanent demo region for the homes.  I envision such a region consisting of a flat, featureless region with a grass area and a water area, and one or two rezzers per theme.  Pick a model from the rezzer, and it rezzes complete with a little bit of surrounding decor.  As more themes are created, such a "demo region:" becomes more and more needed by residents who are new to Linden Homes.  It doesn't need to be fancy, to check out the general "look" of regions in a theme, folks can just TP to any region.

Anyway, at present, the best way to check out models is to 'hop' 5 times per day (the maximum number of homes you can claim per 24 hours) to get a home in each theme you're interested in.  Then just flip through all the models.  If you wanted to check them out before you become premium, TP to a region and use Area Search (which may be only a 3rd-party viewer feature?) to look for the model name you want to see. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

Thanks for the reply. Chalet open?  Really? In the garden perhaps. But less worse :)

Seriosly, I don't get these new Linden homes. Tall guy but yes I use TinyCam.

What open plan means is that the walls are removed inside, as you said you wanted to do. Not all the themes have open plan options, but it sounds like exactly what you wanted. Obviously, not everyone will use the open plan version of a house, so you might not see it if you check out a few at random.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a Moritzburg (2 storeys) in a still unnamed Chalet region: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SSPE2207/151/23/31

And an Eikelen (2 storeys): http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SSPE2207/238/223/23

And a Ravensburg (single storey): http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SSPE2208/79/167/22

And an Albus (2 storeys): http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SSPE2208/225/55/23

Once these regions are named, the links will not work.

• Like 1

I would definitely recommend checking out the Moderns when they're released; some of them are very open-plan and very large (more house, less garden).  Skyboxes are allowed though, but the disadvantage is that the sky house itself will count to your prim limit leaving you with less available for decorating. But there are some very low-prim (under 10-LI) skyboxes available. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Skyboxes are allowed though, but the disadvantage is that the sky house itself will count to your prim limit leaving you with less available for decorating. But there are some very low-prim (under 10-LI) skyboxes available. 

Well, yeah, but the (ground level) house and landscaping does not count against your prim limit.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.