Editing Posting

NardweBones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I really think we should be allowed to edit posts after the 24 hour mark, even if the old post was still visible. There are a few occasions where the forum seems to be forced into relisting threads rather than just maintaining one thread. (Rental Forums for example people post nearly the same thread every day rather than maintain an active thread for their listings)

I do see how allowing editing may be prone to some issues such as people changing what they may have said, but if that was the concern perhaps allow users to see edit history. If that is not the concern then why not allow posts to be edited?

Bare minimum I think the First post in the thread should be editable indefinitely so the user can maintain and update the thread.

Should we allow post edits,delete,etc. by the user? If so how should this be implemented, otherwise please specify reasons why it should remain the same :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NardweBones said:

I really think we should be allowed to edit posts after the 24 hour mark, even if the old post was still visible. There are a few occasions where the forum seems to be forced into relisting threads rather than just maintaining one thread. (Rental Forums for example people post nearly the same thread every day rather than maintain an active thread for their listings)

I do see how allowing editing may be prone to some issues such as people changing what they may have said, but if that was the concern perhaps allow users to see edit history. If that is not the concern then why not allow posts to be edited?

Bare minimum I think the First post in the thread should be editable indefinitely so the user can maintain and update the thread.

Should we allow post edits,delete,etc. by the user? If so how should this be implemented, otherwise please specify reasons why it should remain the same :)

Personally, I think the land sales/rentals sub-forums are areas that could maybe be forever editable (and possibly Upcoming Events for things that repeat).  However, folks would probably only use the feature if the editing of a post popped it back to the top of the listings -- and if that did happen, it would have to be limited to one edit per day once they are past the initial 24 hour point.  See how complicated that gets?

For any other areas - NO.  I don't see a good need for it and there really are a few that post regularly that would constantly change their OP, causing confusion and continuity issues with later posts in the thread.

If there are to be different edit rules for different areas and since LL is using forum software supplied by another company, it would have to be a feature of the underlying software.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Personally, I think the land sales/rentals sub-forums are areas that could maybe be forever editable (and possibly Upcoming Events for things that repeat).  However, folks would probably only use the feature if the editing of a post popped it back to the top of the listings -- and if that did happen, it would have to be limited to one edit per day once they are past the initial 24 hour point.  

I agree it would be nice for Select Forum Sections to allow editing of the First Post Only and maybe treat the edit as a bump, or perhaps add a bump button that the thread owner may only use once per day and only to those Select Forum Sections Threads.

Here is a list of sections I think may benefit this change (And only apply to),

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NardweBones said:

I agree it would be nice for Select Forum Sections to allow editing of the First Post Only and maybe treat the edit as a bump, or perhaps add a bump button that the thread owner may only use once per day and only to those Select Forum Sections Threads.

Here is a list of sections I think may benefit this change (And only apply to),

most posts in the first don't even belong there, it's originally meant for professional education and official non profits
The others?  no thanks, they are full of advertising  already, often, more/longer edit will make it only worse

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Id be alright with it being in All Sections as well, I just find it kinda silly seeing the thread spam in the rental sections and am accustomed to most forums allowing editing of our own posts. I do see the potential issues (And perhaps showing edit history would resolve them?)

"no thanks, they are full of advertising  already, often, more/longer edit will make it only worse" I am not sure what you mean by this but the spam is due to users posting multiple threads, if they were able to edit their thread we would reduce the number of threads made each day

Edited by NardweBones

I'd simply like the ability to go back and edit the TITLE of the post after any amount of time.

You know, to add things like "ANSWERED" or "SOLD" or "RENTED" so I don't have to go back into threads only to find out that parcel XYZ is now not available.

Or if that seems ripe for abuse, then a checkbox that the original poster can click on that then flags that OP as one of those three things.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 3

On 2/11/2022 at 2:25 AM, Maitimo said:

I think this could work if it was possible to ADD something, but not DELETE anything.

The problem would be when stuff is deleted and then replaced by something else that completely changes the context of the answers.

That's one reason why I'm in the habit of quote people. Even if someone were to go back and completely change or delete a post, the original remains in the quote unless manually deleted by a mod.

• Like 1

The ability to Modify Titles as well as Add Content to post sound like great improvements to the current system.

Maybe Spell-Check Fixes as well, and not full post edits but renditions/additions only; May add to total line count + 24 hours edit time window as usual for newly added content and spell checks may be completed on full post if needed

Edit: Cross outs and possibly even general Text Font and Appearance modifications would be nice as well (To Cross out lines that are no longer valid) FOR SALE

Edited by NardweBones

44 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

4d4165af0ecc259aa35973211e7dda76.png

? I mean for the editing factor if the feature were to be added for Additional Modifications but still allow the use of the tools you posted in the original post to do the cross outs etc (Thus possibly allowing Semi-Edits of posts after the 24hour mark + additional content to the edited post if after the 24hour mark but still allow users to use modifier tools such as cross out etc. on original content that would be no longer considered modifiable but can be formatted)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.