Saturation -- Too many events -- Survey of sorts

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

I mentioned in another thread is that my grievance is that most of those 250 events are for women's clothing. There are other avatars in SL. Even when we gets events that might appeal, it's still usually flooded with women's clothing. It's to the point where I don't even look at events much anymore because there's never anything for me.

Not sure if you've seen it yet, but it looks like there's a new event for men called Men's Closet. Hopefully it becomes a regular thing.

Edit: On the main topic, I think there are too many similar events, for sure. More variety would definitely be welcome. I'm not burned out by events with discounts and sales, though. I have quite a few avatars with very different fashion styles and shop weekend events to increase my wardrobe (and make even more avatars). 

But yep, my biggest wish - more style variety.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Like 4

I like some of them, but the number do seem to have some more "Ooh look at me, I'm here!" makers putting out junk just to have a "release" for the newest event.

Right now there are four events running that cover areas I'm actively shopping for a build I'm working on, between these four full sims of stalls marketed to me I found maybe two dozen things that I would take for free, and only six that I actually purchased with two more I'm waiting to see about an in-world demo before I drop a few thousand L$ on it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NanashiNyx said:

makers putting out junk just to have a "release" for the newest event.

This, a thousand times this.

Many creators don't seem to understand that less is sometimes more.
I think that participating in less different events but with good quality brings in more attention and revenues, than when just slapping something in a vendor just to be present once again.

• Like 4

I truly have a love/hate relationship with events. I usually take a trip to the big monthly ones, like Collabor88, Uber and their like, and even then, I generally wait a few days to a week before hitting them, simply due to the fact they will more oft than not be crowded, and may not even be able to get in, anyway. Having said that, I tend to take about 5 - 10 minutes of looking around, in case something catches my eye.

I also try to keep an eye out for special events that roll around once or twice a year, particularly ones germane to my interests and aesthetics, namely sci-fi and retro.

Then we have weekend sales, and 50 L Fridays. I have a handful of the odd weekend stops, and if something catches my eye, I might take it. Otherwise, leave it.

I think I am getting selective in my old age. XD More oft than not, I tend to leave these places empty handed. Or think "I'm a builder, I can make that myself!"

IMO, events like that in general should be fewer and far between, and actually be special, as opposed to ridiculously over saturated.

• Like 2

Events are a business model for those who create, advertise and maintain them.
Everyone who wants a piece of that cake will start a new event. And because creativity can't be bought in a store, the successful concepts are copied over and over again, in 90+% of the cases with (much) less success.

I think there will be more and more events, until even the last one is no longer profitable and only the people who roleplay to be successful event organizers stay active in that field.

The creative pro's behind the currently successful events will have found a new concept by then to make money out of their organizing talent.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Why do we have to type our thoughts? Brain directly to computer would make things easier.
  • Like 2

So, this morning with coffee in hand, I looked at Seraphim for all the current weekend sales *sighs*. I am a blogger so I need to keep up and follow *trends* but there doesn't seem to be any NEW trends. This is NOT a dis to creators , it's not even a dis to those who plan these events.

I just want/need to see something that *pops* . I said this once while chatting with a friend who made fabulous things and the very next day she dropped something on me that was exactly what I had in mind! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, colleen Criss said:

So, this morning with coffee in hand, I looked at Seraphim for all the current weekend sales *sighs*. I am a blogger so I need to keep up and follow *trends* but there doesn't seem to be any NEW trends. This is NOT a dis to creators , it's not even a dis to those who plan these events.

I just want/need to see something that *pops* . I said this once while chatting with a friend who made fabulous things and the very next day she dropped something on me that was exactly what I had in mind! 

I hear ya :D.

I checked some weekend events (only two for me now) and found a list of six things of interest. 

The first, a dress from a well-known creator, had some nasty weighting on the skirt.

Three of the stops had NO SIGNS; you had to literally HUNT for the sale item (sigh). I found two of the three. 

One of those I purchased (yes there was a demo) but on MORE inspection found that there were some very bad transparency issues.  My bad, BUT honestly in my mind the "name brand" creator should have never sold that to anyone at any price. They should have uploaded new none-alpha textures for the offending area OR toss the whole release. That is certainly what "I" would have done. This left a bad memory for that brand that likely won't go away soon. 

Two simply looked much better in the vendor photo than inworld :D. 

I bought a cute shabby chic building from DaD which only had a downsized demo. The windows have an LOD issue but with some close to the house privacy landscaping it is still usable depending on your space. 

So I am NOW working on a post for gifts from Midnight Order - LOL.  Welcome back to SL blogging in 2008.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I bought a cute shabby chic building from DaD which only had a downsized demo. The windows have an LOD issue but with some close to the house privacy landscaping it is still usable depending on your space. 

DaD has some great stuff, but I've found I like their skyboxes the most, their LoD is usually kinda wonky and while they look wonderful from *inside* they fall off far too quickly when you leave the building.

So far anything that is *outside* and needs to be seen from a distance I tend to go with Ex Machina, but if you're not looking for an industrial look the selection there is pretty limited.

Though, low LoD can be a good thing, some of my favorite furniture is very low LoD and starts to turn into triangles at 20m. The LI is vastly lower on it, though, so if it's in a small area it works well to keep the already 5k-ish LI I'm using at least somewhat limited.

• Like 2

This weekend, I have found quite a bit in the Weekend sales that is a "certain buy" by looking at the images. But I was also shopping in Fameshed. One fatpack from a creator that has a 10% group discount, and one hair pack that was reduced down a bit, over 100 L, but not super cheap. It does not have to be "weekend sale prices", but I am in a good mood when I get a discount. It makes an event worth visiting for me.

Edited by Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.