Stuck at "requesting region capabilities" on login

12nnb

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Whenever I try to log in to SL on any viewer it starts loading but then I get stuck on the following message.

LkvsrFi.png

I have tried the following viewers,

• Firestorm
  • Official Second Life
  • Cool VL Viewer

Trying each one on Windows 10 and Linux (Manjaro). I have tried them on both wired and wireless connections. I have a fiber connection at 100Mbps download & upload.

I have not found much information about what could be happening elsewhere online. What could I do to help solve this?

19 answers to this question

2 hours ago, 12nnb said:

I was trying to log into "Home", and I guess because I'm new I don't have a home maybe

No, everybody has a "home", but there are two senses of the word in SL.  You are thinking about "home" as a place that you own or rent and may use as a place to build and rez stuff.  Not everyone has that kind of home (I didn't for the first two years I was in SL), although some people have many of them.  The other kind of "home" is a default location where you will log in or be sent to when you click the HOME button in your viewer, unless you deliberately specify another location.  Everyone has that kind of "home".  It's the one place that you can teleport to in an emergency (unless it is offline, as yours was, apparently 🙁 ).  You can only have one such location, but you can change it by going to a new place that you like and selecting World >> Set Home Here (or whatever the exact words in your viewer say).  As long as you haven't selected a spot on land that some other person owns or controls, that spot becomes your new default location. 

There's no place like home.

There's No Place Like Home

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Welcome to the Second Life forums, 12nnb.

As potty as it sounds, have you tried logging in to a different location? Try Hissel or Chalvez which are just empty Linden water regions. 

Please keep this thread updated with what you try. 

Other answers will follow.

Logged into Hissel and it worked :) I was trying to log into "Home", and I guess because I'm new I don't have a home maybe 🤔

• Thanks 2

There are places in SL that will allow you to Set Home Here.  You could search for that and you usually join the group associated with the region.  It's often a sandbox type situation so your can use it to open packages and such.

I've used Skybeam Community for over 10 yrs for logging alts in and out.

This is the same issue as the one described in this other thread. Sadly, there is little to do but to wait for AWS to clean up their mess, as I noted in reply to that thread.

LL seems helpless at resolving such issues, and when they get resolved, it's not the result of their action, as per Oz Linden's own admission in the past.

This said, you should still open a support ticket: the more such tickets LL will get, the more likely they will ask AWS to hurry up and fix the breakage on their end... But with the holidays, I won't count on anything done before January 2022... 🙄

I am also stuck at the "Requesting Regional Capabilities" and have been since December 23rd.

I have multiple support tickets open with LL and have worked with an Agent during this time. She has escalated the ticket (sometime last week) but I am still unable to log in with my good laptop running Win 11. I have a backup running Win 10 and I AM able to logon with it, but it has many other issues which is why I had to replace it.

The Win 10 laptop CAN successfully log in with my main and Alt's but my other laptop running Win 11 (upgraded in October 2021 and running SL daily since then ) is at the brick wall of Requesting Regional Capabilities.

I have done a clean install for all my accounts and the 3 viewers that I use, (Catznip and Firestorm and SL Official)and there was 1 day when I got through in the evening but by tne next morning I was locked out again with this same message.

The latest issue is that I am unable to receive any purchases on the Win 10 laptop (includes redeliveries) so now all viewers and all accounts and both laptops are affected by what I can only assume is the same issue. The inability to receive my purchases ticket has been open since January 13th but it feels much longer. 

This is starting to feel like it's personal, I am jk but I am beyond ridiculously frustrated!

Any advise you can offer would be much appreciated!

Should I have made this a different posting or is it okay that I added mine to the end of the previous members' issue?

I have tried many different regions and I have 2 tickets in to the SL Team but it's taking so long and I'm getting impatient (1st dated 12/23/21 and the 2nd where I cannot receive any purchases 1/13/22).

Thank you so much!!!

21 minutes ago, Nickolas Naglo said:

Should I have made this a different posting or is it okay that I added mine to the end of the previous members' issue?

I have tried many different regions and I have 2 tickets in to the SL Team but it's taking so long and I'm getting impatient (1st dated 12/23/21 and the 2nd where I cannot receive any purchases 1/13/22).

I can understand your frustration. To answer your first question, no, it's usually not a good idea to attach your own question to someone else's thread because it then becomes difficult for anyone to tell who a specific reply is directed to.  It's better to start your own thread.  However, you should know two things.  First, this is a resident to resident forum.  Lindens look in from time to time, but almost all of the replies you get will be from residents like you. Second, Lindens will only take specific questions like the one that you posed if they are sent as Support Cases.

That gets us back to your question.  In general, a message regarding "capabilities" is referring to a problem connecting to the many files in LL servers that contain your inventory, avatar appearance files, friends list, and a number of other important databases. It usually means that the system was unable to make those connections during login because the Internet connection itself was weak or intermittent.  The standard suggestions for fixing the problem include unplugging both your router and your modem from the power for a minute or so, then plugging everything back in and restarting everything.  Linden Lab also suggests avoiding a wifi Internet connection if possible because of the possibility of interference and because some wifi signals have a hard time passing through walls and other objects efficiently.  It's probably also wise to check all cables and cable connections.  Finally, since it is possible that the server in the region you are trying to enter is faulty, you should try logging in to a different region. The background issue is that, unlike games you may have played on line, SL depends on continuous, rapid (45 times a second) updating signals between their servers and your client.  If the servers and your viewer are out of sync for more than a few 110 msec, or if there is much packet loss at all, the system will fail to hold a connection.

You have been waiting for longer than I would normally expect for a reply to your support case, possibly in part because it was filed during the holidays.  If you are a premium member, I suggest contacting Live Chat, where you will get faster service.  Otherwise, all I can suggest is that you submit another support case, referencing any previous one(s) you may have submitted.

Edited by Rolig Loon

If you're stuck at "Requesting region capabilities", try logging into a different region. You got through initial login, which is your viewer talking to the login server. The login server then looks at where you want to start, and aims you at the server for that sim. If that sim isn't answering, you're stuck. But it usually means a problem with that specific region.

Try, in the region box at login:

• Social Island 10 (SL's answer to the Port Authority Bus Terminal)
  • Burns (You land on a rarely used dirt road.)
  • Natoma (You land in front of The Ivory Tower of Prims)

Those all have good default landing points, so just typing in the region name is good enough.

Once you're in, go someplace else you want to go. If a teleport fails, the destination region is probably having problems.

If you can't get into any of those, something more serious is wrong.

Edited by animats

Thank you so much for the quick answers 🙂 I do have tickets opened and I'm premium so not only did I use the chat function but the agent opened the tickets for me. Last i heard, maybe a week ago now, is that it was being escalated.  I have tried numerous regions, and just now tried the 3 you gave but unfortunately no joy. 

One of the strangest things about this issue is that I have a laptop that I can use, my old one, where I can log on and not get caught in the Requesting Regional Capabilities flag for any of my 3 Avatars, and on the new laptop running Win 11 I cannot log on as any of them.  All in the same apartment, using the same DSL (I did power them down and restart them). Unfortunately the old laptop has many other issues so it's not a viable solution.

What LL have told me at the help desk is that it's first in priority. Tomorrow is Monday so hopefully when I contact them, there will have been some movement.

20 hours ago, Shelby Robbiani said:

The latest issue is that I am unable to receive any purchases on the Win 10 laptop (includes redeliveries) so now all viewers and all accounts and both laptops are affected by what I can only assume is the same issue.

Wow, that's an especially weird twist in this saga. I don't have a theory either way, but just for sanity sake, these purchases and redeliveries are all from Marketplace, right? I mean, if I set a box to sell to you in-world, you could buy it, right? and it would end up in your inventory, or not? (If not, I'd try to sell it "original" so you should get ownership of the rezzed box, and then see if you could Take it into Inventory.) But no matter: this is very, very weird.

Before I saw this problem with the older laptop, I was going to ask if the machines might have different detailed network configurations (maybe at some point DNS servers specified on one or the other) to explain why the newer one lost region connectivity. But now I think only Support will be able to figure out what's going wrong by watching what happens (and doesn't happen) on their end.

27 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:
21 hours ago, Shelby Robbiani said:

The latest issue is that I am unable to receive any purchases on the Win 10 laptop (includes redeliveries) so now all viewers and all accounts and both laptops are affected by what I can only assume is the same issue.

Wow, that's an especially weird twist in this saga. I don't have a theory either way, but just for sanity sake, these purchases and redeliveries are all from Marketplace, right? I mean, if I set a box to sell to you in-world, you could buy it, right? and it would end up in your inventory, or not? (If not, I'd try to sell it "original" so you should get ownership of the rezzed box, and then see if you could Take it into Inventory.) But no matter: this is very, very weird.

Before I saw this problem with the older laptop, I was going to ask if the machines might have different detailed network configurations (maybe at some point DNS servers specified on one or the other) to explain why the newer one lost region connectivity. But now I think only Support will be able to figure out what's going wrong by watching what happens (and doesn't happen) on their end.

None are from the MP, these are in-world live purchases not being given from the vendors and the first place it happened was Cosmopolitan on the 13th, so many different vendors. My next test was re-deliveries, which also failed. There was an error message that the product could not be found, again with multiple vendors.

I don't know if it's happening on both laptops, because I haven't tested that than condition cuz I'm unable to log on but I made that assumption.

Thanks for the information on support. What is Concierge support?

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Shelby Robbiani said:

None are from the MP, these are in-world live purchases not being given from the vendors and the first place it happened was Cosmopolitan on the 13th, so many different vendors. My next test was re-deliveries, which also failed. There was an error message that the product could not be found, again with multiple vendors.

At first this seemed to be a corrupt Inventory that simply couldn't accept new items, but that "product could not be found" error message looks pretty inconsistent with that theory, not that I can concoct one with which it would be consistent. (Might still be interesting to try rezzing a simple plywood box and see if you can Take it into Inventory.)

Also, I'm now triskaidekaphobic about this "coincidence":

16 hours ago, Nickolas Naglo said:

11 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:
On 1/16/2022 at 9:22 AM, Shelby Robbiani said:

I don't know if it's happening on both laptops, because I haven't tested that than condition cuz I'm unable to log on but I made that assumption.

Thanks for the information on support. What is Concierge support?

Turns out the LL agent on my support case was back today so she reached out to me for an update. For all those still following, here's where things stand. No change on the Win 11 Laptop's login status, still can't login. In regards to the Win 10 Laptop's ability to receive objects (notecards and textures were received), i ran some tests this afternoon and found the following:

TESTING Jan 17 2022

Delivery is intermittent today, not blocked completely.

At MY home, I RECEIVED (PUSHED OUT FROM VENDOR)  the PowderPack. I successfully opened it and successfully downloaded and opened all 8 boxes.

Then I TP'd to Blueberry where I tried UNsuccessfully to get a few things re-delivered.  They didn't come and I didn't receive an error message.

I tp'd to FAMESHED.

PART 1 I successfully received a texture from a vendor (not one from FAMESHED, it was an advertisement).

PART 2 I went to the Vendor for AYASHI and tried to get a Dem and I was successsful.

PART 3 I clicked on a demo at the vendor and I received it.

PART 4 I went to a  redelivery at the FAMESHED VENDOR for the CREATOR Ayashi and was successful 1 in 5 tries.

Error!

impossible to locate the product [^.^Ayashi^.^] Kameyo hair-Blond set in any redelivery terminal. Please contact Ikira Frimon if the issue persists.

Orig Purchase 12.25.21

Error!

impossible to locate the product [^.^Ayashi^.^] Kaede hair-Blond set in any redelivery terminal. Please contact Ikira Frimon if the issue persists.

Orig purchase 12.25.21

Error!

impossible to locate the product [^.^Ayashi^.^] Kaede hair-Brown set in any redelivery terminal. Please contact Ikira Frimon if the issue persists.

Orig purchase 12.3.21

Success!

Redeliver request sent, product [^.^Ayashi^.^] Sumie hair-Brown set is being delivered to Shelby Robbiani

Orig Purchase 9.22.21
    Error!

impossible to locate the product [^.^Ayashi^.^] Kameyo hair-Blond set in any redelivery terminal. Please contact Ikira Frimon if the issue persists.

PART 5 I went to the vendor for the creator
    COCO and made a live purchase at FAMESHED. The purchase was successful in that I was charged and

END of testing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.