Facebook is Down, Second Life is Not. Discuss.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 944 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Personally, I find it very reassuring that the stability of IT-based systems is so precarious. All those doom-and-gloom merchants who keep prophesying how mankind is going to end up the slaves of AI systems need to explain how the infrastructure said uber-intellects are going to be dependent on is going to resist the actions of a few playful human underlings  mucillages * with wire-cutters or a re-programmed back-hoe.

* a nod to Stanislaw Lem. Read and re-read.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Does that somehow absolve Facebook from profiting on angering and dividing whole nations?

People should learn to control their anger from external promptings. But they are not brought up any more by people, screens bring them up.

The Myanmar government persecuted the Rohinga before there was an Internet, for example.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

People should learn to control their anger from external promptings.

Ah yes, let's add Korzbyski's cortico-thalamic pause to the school curriculuum.

One thing the pandemic seemed to highlight was how self-centred many people have become. Let's make sure I have enough toilet rolls and soap. Better fill the petrol tank up in case I need to make extra shopping trips for the next item FB says is getting in short supply. (General informed opinion here in the UK is that the panic-buying of petrol was sparked by social media reporting it was running out).

My pet peeve at the moment is how many people don't seem to be able to view their actions in relation to those around them. In a crowded supermarket aisle, for example, where one poor lone worker is busily stacking shelves, a couple of people will stand in the remaining gap having a conversation, oblivious to the fact that now nobody else can get past. But, I can't pin that one on Facebook. Unless of course people have now become so used to facebook-style conversation that they've lost peripheral vision. I doubt it.

Anyway, not 30 minutes after I post on how reassuring I find it that the internet is transitory and what happens? SL website gives a 504-bad-gateway error for 20 minutes or so. I was forced into going inworld, how ghastly,

(Colour me insouciant, colour me flippant, but for the Lawd's sake don't colour me serious)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/4/2021 at 1:24 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

I'm not a Facebook hater like most because that's how I keep in touch with my far-flung friends and family in Russia, Ukraine etc. and I've been watching every day multiple times for my son and daughter-in-law to post on Insta or FB stories (same thing) to see if they are OK because they're traveling abroad now.

Messenger is still working.

Meanwhile, this is also an interesting thread about the Metaverse featuring our own Dusan Writer and Scoble. Where Apple is going to own everybody and everything in like 9 months? With virtual reality stuff? So maybe Facebook is dying? Still, I don't think so. This is probably the work of Russian hackers backed by the state, anything to stop people from complaining about their fixed elections.

Say, you know that lady who is out there Facebook whistleblowing now as a former employee, who leaked thousands of documents? Bet she still has FB stock. 

My theory about the complaints people have about social media ruining civil society is that yes, I wrote about this 15 years ago, and everyone laughed at me. And really, it's more about how you have to make better humans from the inside out, then you will not have these things like Facebook being so destructive, but then, that's much harder work and people don't like the conclusions you need to draw in order to do that hard work.

I never click on anything on the right side of Facebook so this fear of fake news and fake ads just doesn't touch me.

usually, and from my understanding, when social media platforms go down without warning, it's either due to hacking, or it's intentionally done in order to hide something. considering that if there's maintenance, it's usually announced....and that wasn't the case.

four theories that were going around as to why FB and its other apps went down: anonymous hacked them, fb was hacked and 1.5billion users data was shared on the dark web (separate from anonymous), the 60 minute video exposing FB and saying there needs to be more govt control, and to suppress people from seeing the tyranny going on in Australia. 

crazy what's going on in the world, really. don't know what to make of all of it.

Edited by xLunaea

43 minutes ago, xLunaea said:

usually, and from my understanding, when social media platforms go down without warning, it's either due to hacking, or it's intentionally done in order to hide something.

I'll settle for goo old-fashioned human error, like, say, 20-year old certificates expiring unexpectedly, or a typo in a configuration file, ...

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

People should learn to control their anger from external promptings.

Shoulder Angel: "Don't touch that. Just leave it there and walk away. No reason to say anything."

Shoulder Devil: "Touch it touch it touch it touch it touch it!!!"

Such is my day...

20 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

People should learn to control their anger from external promptings. But they are not brought up any more by people, screens bring them up.

The Myanmar government persecuted the Rohinga before there was an Internet, for example.

Indeed. People today are acting as is Facebook and social media have created all these divisions. When what has really happened is social media has merely highlighted them. As usual, people want to shoot the messenger instead of taking a good collective look into the mirror. 

The argument can be made that a company like Facebook profits from stoking the divisions to greater heights. Sure. That is valid. So we as a society take FB down for this and then what? We clap ourselves on the back for doing good, while we allow all the other companies and industries to continue to profit from hatred, division, and destruction. 

Maybe I am wrong but it seems like we're just chasing our own tails when we criticize any media for reflecting back to us who and what we are. 

Facebook and social media should not be essential for peoples life. Not even for companies.
Consumers who think it is, are addicted to them IMHO and should rethink their online behavior.

Social media should be fun, no stress. When down for a few hours once in a few years, so what?

1 hour ago, Elysienne Nebula said:

Indeed. People today are acting as is Facebook and social media have created all these divisions. When what has really happened is social media has merely highlighted them. As usual, people want to shoot the messenger instead of taking a good collective look into the mirror. 

They do both. They supply a place for people to gather and do a circle jerk race to the bottom and also through their moderation practices, promote certain content and block or label misinformation on others, thereby creating a propaganda environment that sows discord.

Yes, however did not affect me was too engaged gaming to care, but found it all quite amusing reason thinking I got banned might believe a nasty word, but nope I shrugged off went to my Sims 4 and so me for me. Alto my mother got home, she was not pleased.

6 hours ago, Elysienne Nebula said:

The argument can be made that a company like Facebook profits from stoking the divisions to greater heights. Sure. That is valid. So we as a society take FB down for this and then what? We clap ourselves on the back for doing good, while we allow all the other companies and industries to continue to profit from hatred, division, and destruction. 

Maybe I am wrong but it seems like we're just chasing our own tails when we criticize any media for reflecting back to us who and what we are. 

Might want to watch the movie "The Social Dilemma," which will explain how Freakbook works.

32 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Might want to watch the movie "The Social Dilemma," which will explain how Freakbook works.

Might want to watch "Invasion of the body-snatchers" which also gives a good idea of how one-mind-for-all works

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 944 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.