Where is the official Gacha Policy?

Quistess Alpha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1123 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Oh, pooh.  She's trying to write scripts for vendors that will be in compliance, so she just wants to be sure she knows what the rules are, Prok.  I have no interest in doing that myself, but if I did, I wouldn't want to waste all my time coding something that will be against the rules.  It's an innocent question, definitely in good faith.  She's in business and wants to create products that will be legal in the changing marketplace.

No sale.

Her profile has no picks or groups with her store. Her Marketplace store has exactly one item for sale, and that's not a script.

Oh, you mean this is her alt she uses from the forums to harry people, and her real main alt that does all this fabulous scripting activity is known to you, but not know to the public. OK, understood, that's common here.

The people who are actually working on these scripts have been doing so for the last month, and getting directly in touch with the Lindens about it. They are already cleared and already in events and shops.

That someone comes on here September 1 trying to question what was already cleared *cannot be seen in good faith*.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

OikR3gY.png

Oh, so you're saying this is just your forums alt, and the alt you use to sell Linden Home add-ons, but there's another main account that does a lot of scripting and has a valid "need to know" here.

OK. I personally hire scripters that don't play this game, they speak on the forums with their main or don't speak at all. 

I can certainly see the advantage of having a forums alt that gets away with heckling and harassing others and raising specious issues in bad faith so that doesn't affect your main's business. Again, I myself don't play that game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Do you have a business with any vendors that you need to transition now?

Did you READ @Rolig Loon's post?  Or are you just here to blow hot air?

22 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Oh, pooh.  She's trying to write scripts for vendors that will be in compliance, so she just wants to be sure she knows what the rules are, Prok.  I have no interest in doing that myself, but if I did, I wouldn't want to waste all my time coding something that will be against the rules.  It's an innocent question, definitely in good faith.  She's in business and wants to create products that will be legal in the changing marketplace.

So back off, ffs.  Geezus!

22 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The people who are actually working on these scripts have been doing so for the last month, and getting directly in touch with the Lindens about it. They are already cleared and already in events and shops.

If anyone's been "cleared" I'd like to see their magic sticker of approval, and know what process they went through to get that sticker. If I want to consider writing a skill-based game, There are very clear policies about what I would have to do and what applications etc. I would have to fill out. Before even starting to write a conveyor system or whatever else gacha-adjacent thing I might dream up, I'd want to know how someone gets better approval than "It's fine, a linden said so in IM. . ."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Before even starting to write a conveyor system or whatever else gacha-adjacent thing I might dream up, I'd want to know how someone gets better approval than "It's fine, a linden said so in IM. . ."

In that case you will have to wait for the new revisions to the TOS, which are not finished yet.

Business gets conducted without formal rules all the time.  Contact a Linden with your proposal.  That is how the conveyor system got approved, before any TOS legalese written by the lawyers.

5 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

If anyone's been "cleared" I'd like to see their magic sticker of approval, and know what process they went through to get that sticker. If I want to consider writing a skill-based game, There are very clear policies about what I would have to do and what applications etc. I would have to fill out. Before even starting to write a conveyor system or whatever else gacha-adjacent thing I might dream up, I'd want to know how someone gets better approval than "It's fine, a linden said so in IM. . ."

The Lindens don't issue such stickers and you should be glad they don't, if you are in good faith, which I don't believe you are. They have stated clearly in their post that they can't answer every theoretical option now. But what they did say was already quoted to you:

Q:  Could a “conveyor belt” system work?  

Example:  The vendor board selects an item at random and displays it for purchase.  That item remains on display and available for purchase until a buyer touches the vendor which locks it to them for purchase.  This allowed the buyer to purchase the item and deliver it.  The vendor unlocks and then selects another item at random and displays it for purchase and the cycle repeats.

Example image here and credit to Nadi Vemo for the approved vendor design.

A:  Yes, as long as the item currently being purchased is known. Note however that you should discontinue the use of the “gacha” term for these sales. 

It's on their blog.

Yet you keep heckling people and thinking up all kinds of "whataboutism" to scupper what has already been cleared here and is already operating inworld. And not from some secret IM.

You keep demanding it to be put in the TOS although they've already said in that same post that they are checking with their lawyers on breedables, and it has already been mentioned here that likely they will update the TOS *when* that have that clarification on breedables. On vendors for non-breedables, they've been very clear.

I look forward to seeing you compliant skill-based game for sale alongside your choker on the MP.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Did you READ @Rolig Loon's post?  Or are you just here to blow hot air?

So back off, ffs.  Geezus!

Just like Quintessa claims that the absence of hard-wired language in an updated TOS means that she cannot trust that something is legal, so, by the same token when I don't see that anyone has a business of any sort related to scripting on their profile, and when I see there is just a lot of theoretical whataboutism going on here from them over and over, despite multiple people answering them with pasted language from the Lindens, I don't take it seriously. Rolig knows very well what's up here.

The people whose *livelihoods were affected* by this policy in a serious way made it their business to get working with scripters and keep discussions going with the Lindens on this matter. The people whose *livelihoods were affected* by this policy have been almost entirely absent from this hysterical, hateful mega-thread and related threads here on the forums. They're busy trying to survive!

So once again I can only implore the vigilantes here to have some respect for this. The Lindens are capable of going around and deprecating and banning scripts on their own without agitation from you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The people whose *livelihoods were affected* by this policy

You mean the cashgrabbers that will not accept their cashcow has been taken away from them ?

It's futile to make me feel sorry for them, Prok, ESPECIALLY since only you seem to represent them.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

My point is that I have yet to see that said directly by Linden Lab. do you have a quote?

Isn't that described for now in the blog post you mentioned :

" "gacha" is defined by a chance-based outcome as a result of a payment.  

Enforcement won’t start until September 1; after that date an Abuse Report for “Gaming Policy Violation” will be the preferred method of reporting this content to Linden Lab.  

We will continue to allow any sales where a payment is given for a known item. "

* words bolded by me, not LL

Edited by TDD123

14 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Big difference between a blog post / short FAQ and an actual documented policy.

True, but I was answering more to this post (definition of randomization ) by Rowan rather than the initial one by the OP.

Edited by TDD123
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

When the rules change, it is expected that they are clearly codified in the ToS and AuP.

That is the reference document for acceptable content going forward.

This is for the avoidance of doubt and not requiring people to know about long lost blog posts or forum threads.

It's literally the least we can expect.

I'm sure wording regarding gachas will get added to rule list.

• Administrators

Hey there,

I am sure it comes as no surprise that I have shown up here in this thread. Unfortunately it has gotten out of hand, and we seem to be forgetting that we really need to be playing nice with one another, and if we can't do that, then I strongly encourage that you ignore each other. I am going to be closing off this thread at this point, to avoid any further issues in it, however before I do so, I also want to address the OPs concerns.

I understand asking about our policy documentation update, and I want to assure you that is in the works. We will have a new policy page posted on our wiki and just like our other policies, you will be able to locate it here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Official_Information_and_Policies_Portal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1123 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.