Hey I'm bored and lonely

victoravatar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not doing yourself any favours, victor, sporting a 4chan meme co-opted aggressively by the alt-right, unless you're sending a deliberate message?

Thankfully, Furie (the original Boys Club creator) is finally getting court settlements from Alex Jones and his ilk for using it without permission in those alt-right contexts.

I'm sure you didn't intend the connection though. :) Maybe I can say hi in game?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The problem I see with these kinds of posts is...what you're basically saying is, "I'm bored! (boring?). Someone entertain me!"

At least, that's how it sounds to me.  I entertain myself.  I'm never bored in SL even when I'm by myself.  If I do start feeling like I just don't want to do anything, I log out.  I don't expect anyone else to provide fun for me.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Not doing yourself any favours, victor, sporting a 4chan meme co-opted aggressively by the alt-right, unless you're sending a deliberate message?

Thankfully, Furie (the original Boys Club creator) is finally getting court settlements from Alex Jones and his ilk for using it without permission in those alt-right contexts.

I'm sure you didn't intend the connection though. :) Maybe I can say hi in game?

Did you know some people in [evil group of the week] like strawberry ice cream? Think we should all give up strawberry ice cream?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
2 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Did you know some people in [evil group of the week] like strawberry ice cream? Think we should all give up strawberry ice cream?

You are so right, Paul.  I wear a swastika necklace and everyone likes me just fine.

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

The problem I see with these kinds of posts is...what you're basically saying is, "I'm bored! (boring?). Someone entertain me!"

At least, that's how it sounds to me.  I entertain myself.  I'm never bored in SL even when I'm by myself.  If I do start feeling like I just don't want to do anything, I log out.  I don't expect anyone else to provide fun for me.

thing is i dont want entertainment from people like i dont want u to entertain me or anything. I was just bored at the time and thought about making new friends thats all

50 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

A tad sensitive, are we, with pointing out issues with that meme? Sounds suspiciously snowflakey to me. ;)

And thanks Victor for clarifying the intent, sweetie :) I'm as guilty as the next of sometimes no getting the message out as well as I'd like.

Except in Paul's case, he gets what I'm saying just doesn't like it much apparently. (And eww, yes, strawberry ice cream? Eww.)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, victoravatar said:

thing is i dont want entertainment from people like i dont want u to entertain me or anything. I was just bored at the time and thought about making new friends thats all

So just go out in-world and say hi to people. See where it leads.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

So just go out in-world and say hi to people. See where it leads.

isn't this forum for that too? It's under the ''make friends'' section. That's what the forums are for if you can't find anyone you come here and look

9 minutes ago, victoravatar said:

isn't this forum for that too? It's under the ''make friends'' section. That's what the forums are for if you can't find anyone you come here and look

Speaking only for myself, the only time I'm in the forums is when I'm not inworld.  

Think of this section, for yourself, as a personal ad or a profile on match.com.  Maybe tell a bit about yourself and what you enjoy doing in SL.  What type of music, which activities you've done or would like to do.  Time zones are really the only RL personal info that could be relevant so you'll meet people who are logged in when you are.

Sell yourself and why someone would have fun being your friend.  Bored and lonely aren't the best words to catch someone's interest.  

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Speaking only for myself, the only time I'm in the forums is when I'm not inworld.  

Think of this section, for yourself, as a personal ad or a profile on match.com.  Maybe tell a bit about yourself and what you enjoy doing in SL.  What type of music, which activities you've done or would like to do.  Time zones are really the only RL personal info that could be relevant so you'll meet people who are logged in when you are.

Sell yourself and why someone would have fun being your friend.  Bored and lonely aren't the best words to catch someone's interest.  

well that's a nice advice thank you

36 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Yeah but that's my way of saying it that's who i am i don't want to be someone im not in fact its the opposite i want to show people here who i truly im not pretend to be someone im not sure other people would describe themselves right away for me it takes time and now i will next time thanks to ur advice

3 hours ago, victoravatar said:

Technically, if you look at the description at the top of this section of the forums, it says:

Make Friends

It’s easy to make friends in Second Life. Discuss the best ways to connect to other Residents.

So while many do use this section as an ad-board for advertising for friends, it's also for sharing of tips about finding friends.  The first friends I made in SL were from a RP site I frequented.  I've also made friends from a residential community I lived in for several years.  There are other groups which I belong to because of interest in the regions the groups are for, and through participation in the region's activities and in the group chat, friendships can be made, if desired.  It's also helpful to have some information about what types of things interest you on your profile.  I think you indicated in another thread or two that you participate in one of the fishing games?  Have you looked at any profiles of people you often see at those events and reached out to anyone who's profile indicates that they may have some common interests with you?  Another way to meet potential friends is by attending repeating events - such as a particular DJ at a dance club, or weekly events at some other community, so that others who attend those events get used to seeing you there, and the opportunity for chatting and developing friendships becomes more likely. 

Edited by MoiraKathleen
removed unwanted space from middle of a word
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

Technically, if you look at the description at the top of this section of the forums, it says:

Make Friends

It’s easy to make friends in Second Life. Discuss the best ways to connect to other Residents.

So while many do use this section as an ad-board for advertising for friends, it's also for sharing of tips about finding friends.  The first friends I made in SL were from a RP site I frequented.  I've also made friends from a residential community I lived in for several years.  There are other groups which I belong to because of interest in the regions the groups are for, and through participation in the region's activities and in the group chat, friend ships can be made, if desired.  It's also helpful to have some information about what types of things interest you on your profile.  I think you indicated in another thread or two that you participate in one of the fishing games?  Have you looked at any profiles of people you often see at those events and reached out to anyone who's profile indicates that they may have some common interests with you?  Another way to meet potential friends is by attending repeating events - such as a particular DJ at a dance club, or weekly events at some other community, so that others who attend those events get used to seeing you there, and the opportunity for chatting and developing friendships becomes more likely. 

didn't see that

2 minutes ago, victoravatar said:

Yeah but that's my way of saying it that's who i am i don't want to be someone im not in fact its the opposite i want to show people here who i truly im not pretend to be someone im not sure other people would describe themselves right away for me it takes time and now i will next time thanks to ur advice

It not changing who you are by changing words.  Example...

I've been traveling around second life lately and I'm having trouble finding people.  I love checking out beaches, surfing, hang gliding or just sitting in the sand watching a beautiful sunset.  I've recently started going to live music clubs which I enjoy very much but would have more fun if I were sharing it and the rest of my activities with a few friends.  So if you're feeling lonely or bored, hit me up inworld and let's go on an adventure.  

Now doesn't that sound more appealing to you?   Just fill in what it is YOU like to do.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It not changing who you are by changing words.  Example...

I've been traveling around second life lately and I'm having trouble finding people.  I love checking out beaches, surfing, hang gliding or just sitting in the sand watching a beautiful sunset.  I've recently started going to live music clubs which I enjoy very much but would have more fun if I were sharing it and the rest of my activities with a few friends.  So if you're feeling lonely or bored, hit me up inworld and let's go on an adventure.  

Now doesn't that sound more appealing to you?   Just fill in what it is YOU like to do.

it does sound more friendly yeah

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Think of this section, for yourself, as a personal ad or a profile on match.com.

I don't see that in the board description, though ..

5ab20d1be6980b8a057c4c39b0f2e900.png

There's also the pinned thread by Dakota which suggests that, whilst it isn't a strictly enforced rule, it's not the purpose of the board:

On 8/29/2018 at 4:54 PM, Dakota Linden said:

To date, we have not been strictly enforcing the types of posts that you all have been creating, but I would like to see more posting about the topic of making friends, than actual ads looking for others. 

That aside, I agree - making a forum thread to say 'add me please' is the forum-equivalent of the ambiguous 'hi' IMs from noob-walking potato-people in-world. It occurs frequently, and it doesn't really inspire any interest. 

My usual tips for people failing to make friends in SL:

• Fill out your profile.
  • Don't fall into the usual profile faux pas. 
  • Do the things you enjoy and chat with people along the way.
  • Don't expect every person you come across to be interested.
  • Don't expect every person you come across to meet your expectations.
  • Be nice.
  • Be worthwhile befriending.
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

There's also the pinned thread by Dakota which suggests that, whilst it isn't a strictly enforced rule, it's not the purpose of the board:

That aside, I agree - making a forum thread to say 'add me please' is the forum-equivalent of the ambiguous 'hi' IMs from noob-walking potato-people in-world. It occurs frequently, and it doesn't really inspire any interest. 

• Fill out your profile.
  • Be nice.

I do agree on the usage of this section but honestly, people use it to look for friends all the time.  The first line of the description is sadly, not so for many people.

I also agree wholeheartedly that a good profile works well.  It's the first thing I do when someone messages me.  Give it a quick read hoping they have done the same with mine.

• Like 2

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

The first line of the description is sadly, not so for many people.

In most cases, I'd refer to my 7th point.

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

• Fill out your profile.
  • Be nice.

i didn't make anyone add me i didn't demand them to add me i just said ''add me'' as in add me if u want

Edited by victoravatar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.