Griefing with profile and alternate avatars

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1042 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Why not take the solution in own hands? ....LL can do a lot, but not everything, and not everything is their job.

Its their program and therefore its their job. They police these forums more than they do SL 🙄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Its their program and therefore its their job. They police these forums more than they do SL 🙄 

Policing the forums is much easier. You have everything in writing.

Resident vs resident in world is a lot more complicated. Many more factors to consider.
Like is it forbidden to enter with an alt in a public accessible sim? Might be annoying for some, but is it forbidden?
That's why the sim / land owners get tools to decide that sort of things. It is not on LL's plate.
Because LL owns the program, doesn't mean they have to sort out every thinkable resident vs resident drama in world IMHO.
Then they would need appr. 20,000 more employees.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Policing the forums is much easier. You have everything in writing.

Resident vs resident in world is a lot more complicated. Many more factors to consider.
Like is it forbidden to enter with an alt in a public accessible sim? Might be annoying for some, but is it forbidden?
That's why the sim / land owners get tools to decide that sort of things. It is not on LL's plate.
Because LL owns the program, doesn't mean they have to sort out every thinkable resident vs resident drama in world IMHO.
Then they would need appr. 20,000 more employees.

The problem is that one person can create hundreds of alts. Each account can have like 50 alts. Ran out of alt space? Join again with a new email. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

The problem is that one person can create hundreds of alts. Each account can have like 50 alts. Ran out of alt space? Join again with a new email. 

It looks good on the SL statistics. ;)
That increases the number of active avatars online.

Besides not everyone with an alt has bad intentions with them.
Most people have alts and never cause drama with them.

Edited by Sid Nagy

2 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

The problem is that one person can create hundreds of alts.

no that's not the problem, the problem is a few abuse this.
Let's petition the state to turn all roads in meadows... a few drive to fast.

4 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Each account can have like 50 alts.

no each alt is a seperate account. Long time ago people could register alts, but thats long time ago.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

that's perhaps what you meant, but not what you said.

Yeah, I tend to look at accounts as emails (thats what you sign up with) so one account can have multiple avatars on it. And I believe the threshhold for one account is 50 avatars. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Yeah, I tend to look at accounts as emails (thats what you sign up with) so one account can have multiple avatars on it. And I believe the threshhold for one account is 50 avatars. 

If that's true, I'm absolutely astonished. I'm not suggesting for one moment that it isn't true. I'm merely saying that it astonishes me. Where did you get that information from?

Edited by Phil Deakins

Except for free accounts that don't put money into SL, I agree with the author of this thread, that LL SHOULD do something about it.

Anyone who puts money in is a customer, and any reasonably decent company looks after its customers. LL isn't known for being a reasonably decent company with its customers, but they should be.

Having said that, if the person who it's happening to doesn't put money into SL, then, imo, s/he is not a customer of LL's, and I wouldn't find fault with the company if it does nothing help.

Edited by Phil Deakins

5 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

If that's true, I'm absolutely astonished. I'm not suggesting for one moment that it isn't true. I'm merely saying that it astonishes me. Where did you get that information from?

I did an experiment a long time ago to see how many avis I could fit on a single email and it was a lot. I cant remember the exact number but it was stupid high. 

Then I learned avis never really "die" if you "delete" them so theres a ton of alts I never use that I guess contribute to the population stats lmao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Nope, not true. You can sign up multiple accounts under one email. 

You are getting "account" and "alt" confused, and thinking they are different things.

"Alt" and "account" are the one same thing.  You can have as many of them under one email address as you have time to sit down and make. Multiple alts using the same email addresses are not in the same account, they are still different accounts.

There used to be a limit of 5 per email address but that hasn't been enforced in many years.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

thats not the most general way to name things, and brings confusion

account is the single registered member for SL, the avatar is just appearance worn inworld, and that can be hundreds ..thousends
a alt is a single registered member

a email adress can have several registered accounts

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Maitimo said:

You are getting "account" and "alt" confused, and thinking they are different things.

"Alt" and "account" are the one same thing.  You can have as many of them under one email address as you have time to sit down and make. Multiple alts using the same email addresses are not in the same account, they are still different accounts.

There used to be a limit of 5 per email address but that hasn't been enforced in many years.

Well, it should be enforced. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chris Nova said:

Well, it should be enforced. 

And start charging for them again? lol

Back when you could have 5, you had to pay for the alts. I'm pretty sure it was US$10 each. I got one at that time. All my others came afterwards when there was no longer a charge.

Maybe free alts with premium accounts, and US$10 each for alts of free accounts :)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

And start charging for them again? lol

Back when you could have 5, you had to pay for the alts. I'm pretty sure it was US$10 each. I got one at that time. All my others came afterwards when there was longer a charge.

Maybe free alts with premium accounts, and US$10 each for alts of free accounts :)

Yeah, I like that idea. 5 free alts and the rest are charged. Would limit griefing dramatically. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

So? 

That would be bad publicity for LL and SL.
I don't think that is a desirable situation for the LL office, only to get rid of a few drama searching alts.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

That would be bad publicity for LL and SL.
I don't think that is desirable at the LL office, only to get rid of a few drama searching alt accounts.

SL is rampant with them. Griefers, trolls, etc etc. And a lot more than you realize. Browse through all the trolling videos on youtube. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why should I?
I very rarely see them in my SL experience.

Trolls and grievers are as old as the Internet.
Don't feed them, ignore them.
They get bored quickly when they don't get the attention they are seeking.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1042 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.