Griefing with profile and alternate avatars

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1039 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello,

how it is possible to defend against someone who keeps placing an avatar (with insults written in profile description) in a sim where the target works, and messaging other people in sim to offend the target?

If the griefer has 100 alts, and the sim owner can't be there every day to ban these avatars?

Jill

43 minutes ago, Jill Redrose said:

how it is possible to defend against someone who keeps placing an avatar (with insults written in profile description) in a sim where the target works, and messaging other people in sim to offend the target?

If the griefer has 100 alts, and the sim owner can't be there every day to ban these avatars?

typically the region/parcel owner has group officers who have authority to ban avatars from the region/parcel

Edited by Mollymews
/parcel
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mollymews said:

typically the region/parcel owner has group officers who have authority to ban avatars from the region/parcel

Well, it's not typical, and as I said, there is one owner but what to do against 100 alternate avatars?

And it's a diclosure problem too, since those insulting profiles report different avatar names, saying there is the same person behind.

2 minutes ago, Jill Redrose said:

The target isn't me. The target is someone working in that region.

still... the answer stays ... if the owner can't provide safety they have the choice to leave... or keep getting tortured by the griefer.
If you'r not affected by the matter, and looks like, no owner, your post isn't going to help, even if you want, you have no abilities.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jill Redrose said:

hello,

Jill

If the target does not own the region, the only recourse they have is to stop working and visiting there.  Linden Lab typically do not respond to cases like this (it's considered a resident-to-resident dispute) so it's up to the target to find their own solution. If that solution means quitting SL altogether and never logging in again, well that's basically what they would have to do.

5 hours ago, Jill Redrose said:

It would be a monumental task for somebody to create this many alts, but f they did, and managed to get away with it, subsequently using those alts to target an individual would be a suitable subject for an AR.

However, from past experience as a land-owner plagued by a persistent alt-creator, I have to say that the victim is often being fooled into hurting themselves here with the thought of what damage the army of alts might be doing to their reputation: in all the cases I saw, those outside of the immediate drama treated the attempts by the alts to stir up trouble as exactly that, drama that had no bearing on them.

My advice is to mute the alts as each new one is discovered, until the number of them reaches something like a dozen, and then raise an AR for harrassment and stalking.

• Like 1

Sooo... a security orb belonging to the parcel owner and with that target added as operator to kick and ban the sucker and their alts is no alternative?

I mean, said target could also quit SL and all, byebye, but it might be worth to try such a slightly milder method first.

... seriously, folks, "ohhh, some jerk is harrassing you, you might want to quit SL to stop it"... just... 🤨

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Sooo... a security orb belonging to the parcel owner and with that target added as operator to kick and ban the sucker and their alts is no alternative?

I mean, said target could also quit SL and all, byebye, but it might be worth to try such a slightly milder method first.

... seriously, folks, "ohhh, some jerk is harrassing you, you might want to quit SL to stop it"... just... 🤨

An orb... could be a method. For one avatar. For ten. Maybe twenty... and if the griefer continues with different alts?

I thought LL could do something when you publicly stay in a sim holding your profile full of insults like a sign, and containing a true disclosure issue as well.

3 minutes ago, Jill Redrose said:

An orb... could be a method. For one avatar. For ten. Maybe twenty... and if the griefer continues with different alts?

I thought LL could do something when you publicly stay in a sim holding your profile full of insults like a sign, and containing a true disclosure issue as well.

Disclosing RL information about another resident is against ToS and definitely reportable.  Disclosing some one's other SL accounts is also reportable.   The insults in the profile?  Probably not.  Does this mean the alts will stop coming?  Probably not.

If I were somewhere and a random person told me something derogatory about someone else in that area, I'd ignore them and mention it to the owner in a notecard.  Most residents tend to ignore this type of behavior as @Profaitchikenz Haikumentioned, and avoid the drama.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Disclosing RL information about another resident is against ToS and definitely reportable.  Disclosing some one's other SL accounts is also reportable.   The insults in the profile?  Probably not.  Does this mean the alts will stop coming?  Probably not.

If I were somewhere and a random person told me something derogatory about someone else in that area, I'd ignore them and mention it to the owner in a notecard.  Most residents tend to ignore this type of behavior as @Profaitchikenz Haikumentioned, and avoid the drama.

You know, it's not about drama, there is no drama. I'm in that sim too and I'd just like to avoid to be the next... simply...

Then, someone told me "LL will never do anything" and, at this moment, I prefer to not believe that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jill Redrose said:

Then, someone told me "LL will never do anything" and, at this moment, I prefer to not believe that.

They will do something if a suitable abuse-report is raised and they determine that abuse is indeed taking place. That is the only way by which they would become aware of such a situation.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jill Redrose said:

You know, it's not about drama, there is no drama. I'm in that sim too and I'd just like to avoid to be the next... simply...

The thing is, this person is doing it to try and create drama or to make the other person uncomfortable in that area.  Let the alts come.  Report what is reportable.  Ignore them completely.  Never let them know they are effecting you in any way even if they are.  They want a response.  Not giving them one defeats their entire purpose.  

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

They will do something if a suitable abuse-report is raised and they determine that abuse is indeed taking place. That is the only way by which they would become aware of such a situation.

Already done, thanks. Alts are still there.

1 hour ago, Jill Redrose said:

I think you have to get a group of people to keep ARing this as "targeted abuse meant to harass" and just keep doing that until you get a response. One AR from one person is not enough.

2 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I think you have to get a group of people to keep ARing this as "targeted abuse meant to harass" and just keep doing that until you get a response. One AR from one person is not enough.

I know, there have been several ones, and a profile is very easy to read...

9 hours ago, Jill Redrose said:

hello,

Jill

It may be worth the effort to speak with the region owner, explain the situation and how long it's been going on and ask for eject and ban rights. If they say no, the only real recourse is to move/create a new account. LL refuses to arbitrate between residents. Something I've never really understood. Why have a Governor if there is no government. It's crazy and it works against retention far more than most any thing else, including the adult side of things.

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

What?
Drama?

In Second Life?
ZOMG What's next?

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, Jill Redrose said:

hello,

Jill

Theres nothing that can be done other than wasting time blocking alts. That is LL's solution. Its why griefing is so easy in-world because the program literally invites it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1039 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.