Griefing with profile and alternate avatars

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it? Funny that - haven't seen many in quite some time. Either I'm just not visiting places they find to be decent targets these days or you go out looking for them.

Now back around 2006 - 2010 (at the least) such types were a problem and quite prolific.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Either I'm just not visiting places they find to be decent targets

They like an audience so you'll be more likely to see them where there's a crowd, and not just that, a crowd that's going to react.

Also, from looking at some of the youchoob videos, they like to voice, so if you're not on a voice-enabled parcel, don't expect to be bothered too much, if at all. Prim-rezzing leaves behind traces that identify them, voice, unlike IM and chat, isn't so easy to log.

There have been some excellent trolls in the past, Lavender Storydel tops the list as far as I go, but I think they've got bored with the same old reaction that they started getting and went to look for more interesting venues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

They like an audience so you'll be more likely to see them where there's a crowd, and not just that, a crowd that's going to react.

Also, from looking at some of the youchoob videos, they like to voice, so if you're not on a voice-enabled parcel, don't expect to be bothered too much, if at all. Prim-rezzing leaves behind traces that identify them, voice, unlike IM and chat, isn't so easy to log.

There have been some excellent trolls in the past, Lavender Storydel tops the list as far as I go, but I think they've got bored with the same old reaction that they started getting and went to look for more interesting venues.

To put it in a different light: They're not as prevalent as they used to be and pick "easier" targets these days.

So yeah - not as big a problem these days as some would like to pretend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris Nova said:

Well, it should be enforced. 

There's no point. It's not like email addresses are restricted. Someone could just create a thousand different email addresses and use them for one SL account each.

• Like 2

You don't even need to create a thousand different email addresses - on other's people's systems. You only need a domain name and set it up so that all emails come to you, regardless of what is in front of the @. It only costs a few quid a year for the pleasure, and nothing if you can run your own servers.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chris Nova said:

Yeah, I tend to look at accounts as emails (thats what you sign up with) so one account can have multiple avatars on it. And I believe the threshhold for one account is 50 avatars. 

No, it's 5 alts and always has been five.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Never happened.

Oh yes it did. When I joined, you could have up to 5 avatars. Apart from the first one, they cost US$10 each. When you got one costing US$10 it was linked to your main account. When you joined some years later, that system was long gone. It certainly did happen.

Perhaps you've understood what Alwin said differently to me. You could never register an alt in the same way that you can register a scripted agent. If that's what you meant, you were right.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 1

With the additional hint that more than five could incur a charge, so I find the premise that somebody can have 50+ alts a bit ludicrous, I mean, with LL always looking to increase the revenue, they could have just gone around surcharging the over-5 alts and left us premium members with our old payment instead of ramping it up.

4 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

And start charging for them again? lol

Back when you could have 5, you had to pay for the alts. I'm pretty sure it was US$10 each. I got one at that time. All my others came afterwards when there was no longer a charge.

Maybe free alts with premium accounts, and US$10 each for alts of free accounts :)

That was before LL created basic accounts. 

4 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Oh yes it did. When I joined, you could have up to 5 avatars. Apart from the first one, they cost US$10 each. When you got one costing US$10 it was linked to your main account. When you joined some years later, that system was long gone. It certainly did happen.

Perhaps you've understood what Alwin said differently to me. You could never register an alt in the same way that you can register a scripted agent. If that's what you meant, you were right.

Um I think you quoted the wrong post.

5 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I've been in SL since 2004.

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That was before LL created basic accounts. 

No it wasn't. I joined with a free basic account in December 2006, and a couple of weeks later, I paid the necessary US$10 for an alt that was linked to my main (this) account. When you joined, it had changed.

• Haha 1

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

No it wasn't. I joined with a free basic account in December 2006, and a couple of weeks later, I paid the necessary US$10 for an alt that was linked to my main (this) account. When you joined, it had changed.

Again, I joined in 2004. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.