Why does any genus head I use look like this?

Angelicbabyy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You will need to change the shape of your head or try one of the shapes that most likely came with your body FOR THE HEAD and then change your body as you would like it. We all have to do this. Each head is different and your default non-mesh head will not be a good fit -- in about 95 percent of the cases anyway.  I have seen much worse looks than yours :D.

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 1

It looks like you are wearing a shape not made for Genus heads. I would suggest with any head, always start with a copy of the shape that comes included with the head, and start editing it from there.

Alternatively if your current shape is modifyable, you can edit it. Right-click your avatar, choose Edit Shape and take particular attention to the Head tab (especially head shape and egg-head), and the Chin tab (especially chin depth, chin angle and jaw angle).  If you start by increasing the chin depth and reducing the Egg Head slider, it should help a lot, but have a play with all the sliders and see what they do.

Shapes are a bit of a problem. Body makers design a shape that shows off their body. Unfortunately they include some head's settings in the shape. You wear their shape for the body and you get the shape they included for the head. The image illustrates.

Heads-n-Shapes.thumb.jpg.d38b1be575ea8a687536ba9c370c93aa.jpg

While shapes can be edited to remove either the body's or the head's settings, AFAIK no one does that. Sad.

You can however edit your own shape so you can have a head or body only shape. Then you could change bodies using its shape and restore your head's shape or change heads using its shape and restore your body's shape.

Adding to the conversation.  IF you find a body shape that you like that is mod (most are and honestly buying one that isn't is well "dumb" seems like a good adjective :D) And you fine a head shape that you like (there are many shapes for sale based on certain heads and certainly LOTS for the STRONG face since it was free and thousands have it) then you can copy one set of numbers to the other shape.

Copying the BODY numbers to the HEAD shape you like is the easiest as less numbers.  I had to do this LOTS of times in Opensim before we had the ability to export our shapes.  So either adjust your head shape yourself or find one that you like and then copy the numbers over VERY CAREFULLY.   I typically double checked each tab before hitting the save key and I saved often as I wen through the various tabs. 

Here are were the number are that you want to transfer. 

image.thumb.png.d843c2e51622567715aa03b51cbcfff9.png

Personally, I usually find a skin I love for the head I'm using and use the shape that comes with that skin, plugging in my body numbers I have on a notecard.  Often times I hear people say, "but the skin doesn't look like the ad".  The shape included with the skin then edit to your liking.

14 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Personally, I usually find a skin I love for the head I'm using and use the shape that comes with that skin, plugging in my body numbers I have on a notecard.  Often times I hear people say, "but the skin doesn't look like the ad".  The shape included with the skin then edit to your liking.

Yeah, this is what I do. I have the numbers for the body shape I like written down, so I put on the new head shape I want, then go back in and set the body/torso/legs numbers to what they were before.

23 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

While shapes can be edited to remove either the body's or the head's settings...

You can however edit your own shape so you can have a head or body only shape. Then you could change bodies using its shape and restore your head's shape or change heads using its shape and restore your body's shape.

Can this actually be done? I've looked for a way to do this before but don't think I found one. Would be so handy!

17 hours ago, AdminGirl said:

Can this actually be done? I've looked for a way to do this before but don't think I found one. Would be so handy!

Yes, this can be done. The process is simple but tedious.

The Firestorm Viewer can export and import shapes. Export requires a full permissions shape. The Export command is in the top menu: Developer (press Alt-Ctrl-Q to toggle it on or off). Then Avatar->Character Tests->Appearance to XML. That opens a file-save-panel in FS and you can put the file wherever you want it.

XML is a human readable format you can edit with most text editors. I think you'll understand the format once you see it and think about it. The simple idea with the shape XML file is to remove single lines of text. They look like this:

image.thumb.png.3b403453a87fb892e5ac97996094de97.png

The name field here is what you see in the Appearance panel when editing your shape, e.g., Cheek Bones. So, you can pretty easily figure out which lines to keep and remove.

And if you get it wrong it isn't a big deal. Just try again. It is a text file. The order of the individual lines doesn't seem to matter.

Unfortunately they are  not arranged in sections for head, body or whatever. They are mixed together. So, it is a bit tedious clearing out all the settings you do not want.

I make a file for my head and another for my body.

With Firestorm the import is made by editing the shape you are wearing. Then in the lower right of the panel is an import button. Click that and the currently worn shape combines with the imported partial shape.

Taaaa DAAAA!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Yes, this can be done. The process is simple but tedious.

The Firestorm Viewer can export and import shapes. Export requires a full permissions shape. The Export command is in the top menu: Developer (press Alt-Ctrl-Q to toggle it on or off). Then Avatar->Character Tests->Appearance to XML. That opens a file-save-panel in FS and you can put the file wherever you want it.

XML is a human readable format you can edit with most text editors. I think you'll understand the format once you see it and think about it. The simple idea with the shape XML file is to remove single lines of text. They look like this:

image.thumb.png.3b403453a87fb892e5ac97996094de97.png

The name field here is what you see in the Appearance panel when editing your shape, e.g., Cheek Bones. So, you can pretty easily figure out which lines to keep and remove.

And if you get it wrong it isn't a big deal. Just try again. It is a text file. The order of the individual lines doesn't seem to matter.

Unfortunately they are  not arranged in sections for head, body or whatever. They are mixed together. So, it is a bit tedious clearing out all the settings you do not want.

I make a file for my head and another for my body.

With Firestorm the import is made by editing the shape you are wearing. Then in the lower right of the panel is an import button. Click that and the currently worn shape combines with the imported partial shape.

Taaaa DAAAA!

This is so useful, thank you!

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.