Performance issues

vastfunnyguy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1244 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all this is my first time playing second life and have been having a good time but the thing bringing me down is the performance it is 60fps in some areas while 20 in others i have adjusted my graphics it helped a little is there anything else i can do to boost fps? i have 8 gigs of ram a 2.50ghz processor and a gtx 1650

4 minutes ago, vastfunnyguy said:

Hi all this is my first time playing second life and have been having a good time but the thing bringing me down is the performance it is 60fps in some areas while 20 in others i have adjusted my graphics it helped a little is there anything else i can do to boost fps? i have 8 gigs of ram a 2.50ghz processor and a gtx 1650

still 20 ?... thats wonderfull in many places. Some drop to 5 or lower. All depends on what is around you, and your viewer has to load that.

note; without posting your settings in the viewer (menu help /about) it's hard to see if something at your side can be done about the issue

• Like 4

7 hours ago, vastfunnyguy said:

You could also read through this and see if any of her suggestions help

http://blog.nalates.net/2011/11/30/how-to-get-a-faster-second-life/

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

this is a genuine question, you as seemingly rare "advisor" should be ashamed for such response.

Even Advisor's are allowed to have fun in the forums.  She didn't detract from the OP's issue --- and without more info from the OP, there isn't much else we can do in with this thread.

• Like 1

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Even Advisor's are allowed to have fun in the forums.  She didn't detract from the OP's issue --- and without more info from the OP, there isn't much else we can do in with this thread.

On top of "Advisor" (and other ranks/roles outside of the Moderation/Administration) being rather meaningless.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:
1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I thought from the title this was going to be a much more entertaining thread.

this is a genuine question, you as seemingly rare "advisor" should be ashamed for such response.

Hmmm...thou dost seem to be protesting a bit much about this issue...

Just sayin...

Performance and Second Life is a bit of a difficult topic. I've been in the same position: It did not run well for me at all and searching for help unearthed a lot of rather snarky threads that were not exactly helpful. In case the above doesn't help you, let my dive down the sass-pit be to your help:

• Temper your expections: A modern system does not equal great performance in Second Life. The "game" is old and its engine clunky. The greatest boon is also a bit of a curse as all that user created content hasn't undergone much in terms of optimization. As a result, getting about 15-20 FPS in a highly detailled Sim or one with a lot of people sounds about right. Shigata ga nai.
  • Shadows kill your performance: The most frequent suggestion is to outright turn off your shadows. You can do this by switching the lighting from Sun / Moon + Projectors to none. The general look does suffer from this, yeh - but it's a significant speed boost in places that are bordering on unplayable otherwise.
  • Avatars kill your performance: Aren't we all a bit vain? Yeh, yeah we are. As a result just a small handful of blinged out avatars can really drive the performance into the ground. Moreso when people attach so much stuff that you can hear your fans spin up when they load in. Lowering the amount of rendered Avatars naturally helps with that.
  • Firestorm Update: On the off chance that you're using the Firestorm Viewer, the most recent version has trouble dealing with water refractions. Some say enabling occlusion helps - it did not for me but if your performance tanks near water, this is a potential explanation. See also here:
  • Nvidia and SL: So this was a big boost for me. Some of the tweaks and settings in the Nvidia Panel seem to get into ugly brawls with Second Life. Even settings that by all logic shouldn't cause performance hits, can absolutely soak it. For example even just enabling the ability for DSR without using it, made my SL go crazy. Once I deferred ALL settings to Second Life (Application Controlled) - performance got better. So now I only flip these on when I am ready to make a screenshot.
Edited by ValKalAstra
Updated mistake as pointed out by Solar Legion
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1244 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.