Group chat not working

Phoebe Avro

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 hours ago, Phoebe Avro said:

For the last few days group chat has not worked even in our staff group that only has about 30-40 members we are  now using discord for all staff chat. this needs fixing, group messages seem to be working mostly.

Group chat has always been flaky sadly, mostly because of how it was originally implemented & now and again the traffic in the group chat channels overwhelms the servers that operate it (it's been like this since about 2009 from memory). The Labs did build some 'sensing' in to the servers a couple of years back that could detect when they were floundering and reset the traffic queues but that only seems to kick in once it's too late.

I suspect that a wholesale reworking of group chat is either underway or about to happen now that the uplift has happened - the metrics from that will help determine the bottlenecks I think so will allow a better perspective for the software guys. Group's & chat seem to be very interwoven in to the viewer somehow (which is why for a ruth'd AVie - changing active groups sometimes fixed the ruth because it forced a visible cache reset - lord knows why!) which has so far prevented a wholesale rewrite. The groups system needs looking at and adding the ability to sense in a script an AVies "role" in the group, notices to only a specified role in the group, more roles per group (so we don't have to use staff groups & customer groups) and so on.

I suspect it's on a shopping list/to do list somewhere in the labs but making the grid more expandable & durable has obviously been the priority over the last year or so.

• Like 1

It is interesting (cue irony) to wonder just how LL expect to grow SL in an environment where maps are useless, teleports are unreliable and group chats are all but useless!

If one's motivation is either commercial or role-playing then inward investment into SL would be (to say the least) unattractive.

LL are very close to shooting themselves in the foot.

On 12/13/2020 at 2:52 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

LL just posted the group chat issues on the grid status: https://status.secondlifegrid.net/incidents/y93b1n2ms6w9

An update would be nice, they posted on Grid Status 2 days ago but have said nothing since, this isn't a new issue as we had this same problem a month ago and they fixed it, all be it temporarily. 3 days without being able to post or see any group chats is frustrating.

1 hour ago, Rhiana Innis said:

An update would be nice, they posted on Grid Status 2 days ago but have said nothing since, this isn't a new issue as we had this same problem a month ago and they fixed it, all be it temporarily. 3 days without being able to post or see any group chats is frustrating.

The failure of group chat, as it is used now is probably not seen as a particularly urgent issue by some of the operations team at LL.  However the failure of the system of itself is a matter that should be considered urgent!

Just recently and very germane to this , Mazidox Linden said this  on another thread in this forum:

"we do have a few more end of year changes we're working on, so watch this forum and the grid status blog for information on any additional rolls."

So...fingers crossed.

Edited by Aishagain

1 hour ago, Aishagain said:

The failure of group chat, as it is used now is probably not seen as a particularly urgent issue by some of the operations team at LL.

You think?  That would be bizarre.  SL is supposedly, first and foremost, a social platform.  Their voice capabilities are not scalable, and if they cannot make group chat reliable, then SL will only be "social" when avatars can gather within 20 or 100 meters of each other and use local chat.

At that point, good lord, the new owners of LL (should the sale ever complete) should just sell SL to Discord, if they would have it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Rhiana Innis said:

Got an update on my ticket about Group chat not working, said the engineers made some adjustments. Group chat is now working again for me! Hopefully it's working for everyone else too and it stays that way :)

Unfortunately, no. Yesterday, and in the previous days, or we can say, pretty much for a month now, group chat worked okay-ish for me. I usually leave my avi logged in even if I am not home, so that I won't miss things in certain groups that I might want to know of, or someone would need help with something but nobody at the time could answer them. So at least I know that it was, for me, the interval between 3AM and 11AM SLT when group chats didn't really pop up... and it isn't because nobody would say anything in any group I'm in. Today, the performance is really poor, even for that, with only 2 group chat popping up since I'm logged in, and apparently not too many people got them delivered, since there wasn't any reply to the messages. Or it is doing the same as between August and November, where some of us would see some of the conversation, others would see other messages, and basically none of us in a group would see the exact same conversation. Useless. So if this is the result of the adjustments today, they should keep working on it.

Edited by AlettaMondragon
typos
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump, but this is still going on and is now worse than ever.

A mere 90% of my group chats flat out don't work - no one can post in them, the 1 or 2 that do work are banning people en-masse because they're talking about topics irrelevant to the group (as, guess what - their group chats don't work either!)

This needs fixing NOW. It's gotten stupid with how poorly it's working.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.