Open Floorplans?

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1233 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

35 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Personally, I love open layouts.  In the houseboats, it's hard to add walls because they don't give you the baked (vignetted) wall textures. (I did make a set for the orange (sunflower?) walls, but ugh the work to make them match).  But, we're free to use other objects to define spaces.  Please forgive the amateurish decor and photos, all you decorating divas!

Bedroom defined by rug, planter, and a single bathroom wall.

1523223941_defined_002smaller.jpg.0614fdae8962d73fcf29f82c54b25ad0.jpg

Tiny den "room" defined by paneled half-wall, bookcase, rug & lamp.

1345988332_defined_004smaller.jpg.d336134bab6e77fae9ffd37977ccce61.jpg

ETA: I've seen a lot of designs that do similar things.  I saw one design by a friend of mine who uses mouselook almost exclusively,  He had built out the same houseboat as above with actual walls and 3 or 4 rooms.  I use a free-roaming camera, and found it bewildering.  But when I went into mouselook, it totally made sense.

I really dislike a bunch of tiny rooms.  It's hard enough to just walk through a door without hitting the door jamb or the door itself by the time I've lined myself up to walk through it.   My issue with doors is a long suffering issue though.  If you pass by a house anywhere is Belli and the front and back door are standing wide open at all times, it is probably one of mine. I will always choose a 1 level home to avoid walking in circles in enclosed stairwells.  As it is, I need to cam up into the ceiling and look down to see an entire room or spin the camera in dizzying circles to see if I like my own decorating.  I MIGHT even try a Trad if they had no interior walls.  I like the use of  half-walls and carpeting or furniture/plants to divide a larger open area. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

How did you retexture the walls?

There are inner wall shells for the Houseboats and Traditionals on the MP -- specifically so that you can re-color/re-texture walls.  Some are more permissive than others and some fit better than others.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I will always choose a 1 level home to avoid walking in circles in enclosed stairwells.

Don't tell the moles, but innocuous objects around my 2-story Linden Homes sometimes act as left-click point-to-point teleporters.  Don't touch that hydrangea!

I use my own script, but the generous @Arduenn Schwartzman offers these, and I'm sure they will work great.   You can put Arduenn's script in anything around your home.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Auto-Setup-Teleporter-Buttons/7567545

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

On 12/9/2020 at 4:18 AM, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I really dislike a bunch of tiny rooms.  It's hard enough to just walk through a door without hitting the door jamb or the door itself by the time I've lined myself up to walk through it.   My issue with doors is a long suffering issue though.  If you pass by a house anywhere is Belli and the front and back door are standing wide open at all times, it is probably one of mine. I will always choose a 1 level home to avoid walking in circles in enclosed stairwells.  As it is, I need to cam up into the ceiling and look down to see an entire room or spin the camera in dizzying circles to see if I like my own decorating.  I MIGHT even try a Trad if they had no interior walls.  I like the use of  half-walls and carpeting or furniture/plants to divide a larger open area. 

I feel you! This is me 100% lol! So I also always try to choose the single storey option.  Outdoor living, decks, big windows and open plan rooms make the homes more functional and enjoyable for me.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1233 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.