Open Floorplans?

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, during the Chalet reveal Patch said:

[06:22:16] Patch Linden: There will be 8 floor plans btw, the 4 represented here, and 4 more "open concept" floor plans

I wasn't online, so don't have much context, but I assume this means there will be two versions of each Chalet, one with the floorplan as revealed, and one with a more open floorplan.

However, it COULD be interpreted to mean there will be another 4 designs of chalet, both exterior and interior.

Does anyone know which it is? 

IF my assumption is correct, then I suppose the parcel rezzer box, where you choose which house you want, would have 8 choices instead of 4, e.g. "Alpenrose" and "Alpenrose Open".   I think that makes most sense, since the home controller inside the house does not rez anything at present.  I suppose it is possible that the open floorplans could be different choices on the land page, and they would have to be if I'm wrong and there will be 8 exterior designs.  But if there are only 4 footprints for the homes, they might not NEED to be separate on the land page.

I find this VERY exciting.  Both for the chalets, and for my fugitive wishes that someday LL might add more open floorplan versions of Trads to the parcel rezzers! 

Lots of questions here! Your thoughts?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't know, but that sounds to me like four *different* Chalets, not just cleaned-out versions of the four we saw. It never crossed my mind that it could be as you described. Interesting question! 

I think I assumed four different designs in light of things said previously re: more floorplans for Trads being introduced at some point. Eight might be the new norm in the future!

I'm confused though about how different exterior designs would all need to be listed as choices on the LP, since that's not how it works now. I would think this would all be done from the mailbox as we currently do with other themes. I'll have to ponder that one to see what I'm missing...

I assumed 4 totally different layouts, though you could be right about it just being more opened versions of the current ones. 

As long as the outer skeleton of the house fits within their master Lego piece for the Chalets, then I don't see any reason for them to need a different Land page selection.  I think the only reason they are doing the different Land page item for the Stilts is because the choice actually does impact the 'location' of the home.  Whereas, I can't see how/why an open floor plan versions a more closed one would impact 'location' at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, you both are right, even if there are completely different homes, they would be selected by the parcel controller.  Don't know what I was thinking, d'oh!

It's interesting that you both assumed 8 totally different homes, and I assumed 4 with 2 interior layouts for each.  @Abnor Mole, can you help us out here?

• Like 1

• Moles

The idea is that there will be alternate versions of the 4 homes with a more "open concept" design. Not completely wide open with all the interior divisions removed, but more like you would expect with an actual house where it had been remodeled at some point with a wall knocked down, some doorways opened, perhaps two small rooms turned into a master suite or the like. The exterior of the house is left unchanged. They will be chosen in the "mailbox" menu, so you'll have 8 options when you choose which house you want. 

Theoretically, you will be able to go from one home to that house's open concept version with the only thing that changes is the interior layout.

Keep in mind the houses on the demo region are still WIP (work in progress) homes and may not 100% represent the final design. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 16

• Moles
2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

As long as the outer skeleton of the house fits within their master Lego piece for the Chalets, then I don't see any reason for them to need a different Land page selection.  I think the only reason they are doing the different Land page item for the Stilts is because the choice actually does impact the 'location' of the home.  Whereas, I can't see how/why an open floor plan versions a more closed one would impact 'location' at all.

This  👆 ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

The idea is that there will be alternate versions of the 4 homes with a more "open concept" design. Not completely wide open with all the interior divisions removed, but more like you would expect with an actual house where it had been remodeled at some point with a wall knocked down, some doorways opened, perhaps two small rooms turned into a master suite or the like. The exterior of the house is left unchanged.

Oh, that's terrific!  And

.... maybe someday ....

........4 open floorplan versions of the trads?

.............maybe???

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

Yes, it's on the roadmap. 

Oooh, nice! Will that be added to the mailboxes of existing Trads, or will it be a new release only?

And maybe custom colours for decorating, like the Vics have?  That would be awesome.

• Like 3

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Oooh, nice! Will that be added to the mailboxes of existing Trads, or will it be a new release only?

And maybe custom colours for decorating, like the Vics have?  That would be awesome.

Yes, and probably not without re-working the homes from the ground up.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Back when I was first in SL, "Open Floorplan" meant that your rezzed Prim home had floors that you would fall through!

..and we LIKED it!

Reminds me of the time I was exploring a friend's place. He had this waterfall and I was walking under it. Suddenly I found myself falling though space. Funny the water didn't fall with me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I think he's saying yes, the open floor plans will be added to mailboxes of existing homes, and no, the ability to create custom wall colors will probably not be added. 

This ^^^ -- that is how I read Patch's comments and it makes total sense.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

I already struggle with the existing "more open" houses. I can never manage to replicate the walls and doors well enough or cut up those giant rooms to not feel so empty.

Personally, I love open layouts.  In the houseboats, it's hard to add walls because they don't give you the baked (vignetted) wall textures. (I did make a set for the orange (sunflower?) walls, but ugh the work to make them match).  But, we're free to use other objects to define spaces.  Please forgive the amateurish decor and photos, all you decorating divas!

Bedroom defined by rug, planter, and a single bathroom wall.

1523223941_defined_002smaller.jpg.0614fdae8962d73fcf29f82c54b25ad0.jpg

Tiny den "room" defined by paneled half-wall, bookcase, rug & lamp.

1345988332_defined_004smaller.jpg.d336134bab6e77fae9ffd37977ccce61.jpg

ETA: I've seen a lot of designs that do similar things.  I saw one design by a friend of mine who uses mouselook almost exclusively,  He had built out the same houseboat as above with actual walls and 3 or 4 rooms.  I use a free-roaming camera, and found it bewildering.  But when I went into mouselook, it totally made sense.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

In the houseboats, it's hard to add walls because they don't give you the baked (vignetted) wall textures.

This holds true for both the Houseboats and the Traditionals.  I did manager to create a room divider in a Houseboat using one of the grey textures tinted a bit and it matches pretty closely under most lighting conditions -- but anything other than grey was hard to get to match.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Personally, I love open layouts.  In the houseboats, it's hard to add walls because they don't give you the baked (vignetted) wall textures. (I did make a set for the orange (sunflower?) walls, but ugh the work to make them match).  But, we're free to use other objects to define spaces.  Please forgive the amateurish decor and photos, all you decorating divas!

Bedroom defined by rug, planter, and a single bathroom wall.

16 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This holds true for both the Houseboats and the Traditionals.  I did manager to create a room divider in a Houseboat using one of the grey textures tinted a bit and it matches pretty closely under most lighting conditions -- but anything other than grey was hard to get to match.

I often find it easier to just retexture the walls than to find a true match for the included options, but I know not everyone wants to go to that trouble.

758297833_EveningStarMakeover_009.thumb.png.e2fd9caf42aa87cd8b0b171cf7827eee.png

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Matthieu Quander said:

I often find it easier to just retexture the walls than to find a true match for the included options, but I know not everyone wants to go to that trouble.

758297833_EveningStarMakeover_009.thumb.png.e2fd9caf42aa87cd8b0b171cf7827eee.png

Wow that's terrific!  You also added the ceiling with the hatch, yes?  Did you make the room divider with the porthole in it?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.