Tier and non Tier parcels

MsAfrodite

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1270 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, MsAfrodite said:

Hello,

I am seeking clarity on why some parcels you can purchase have no monthly tiers were as others that advertise as purchasable parcels with land ownership, etc but also have a weekly/monthly tier fee? 

Thank you,

If the parcel size is 1024 sqm or less, then the tier would be covered by the Premium tier allowance -- every Premium account gets 1024 tier with their membership.  Anything more than 1024 requires tier payment.

If you rent from a private region, you pay rent only to the owner, no matter how much land, and never pay LL directly.  The owner is the one paying the tier directly to LL.  Those weekly/monthly payments are not TIER, but simply rent. 

Side note -- you do not really OWN the parcel, you are renting it from someone else.  Private regions can have different people "listed" as owners of different parcels, but they do not truly own the land in the same way that one owns Mainland.  If the region owner suddenly exits SL or stops paying LL, you will lose your rented plot -even if they called it "purchasing" when you started renting.  Whereas, if you buy on Mainland, you will only lose it if you stop paying LL or SL goes under.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

just add that on many privately-owned estates when we rent for L$ then the estate owner gives us ownership of the parcel. Our name appears in About Land \ General as the 'owner' This means that we have the same parcel powers as when we have a Linden mainland estate parcel.

when we stop paying the rent then the estate owner reclaims the parcel and we are no longer the 'owner' 

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If the parcel size is 1024 sqm or less, then the tier would be covered by the Premium tier allowance -- every Premium account gets 1024 tier with their membership.  Anything more than 1024 requires tier payment.

This is on mainland only just to clarify.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mollymews said:

just add that on many privately-owned estates when we rent for L$ then the estate owner gives us ownership of the parcel. Our name appears in About Land \ General as the 'owner' This means that we have the same parcel powers as when we have a Linden mainland estate parcel.

when we stop paying the rent then the estate owner reclaims the parcel and we are no longer the 'owner' 

The island owner can give you "ownership" where your name or group appears on the parcel. But if they stop paying their tier, you lose your land along with them. On Mainland, as long as you go on paying LL directly you keep the land.

But this doesn't answer the OP's original question. The answer is: because they can. Some island dealers have lower costs -- perhaps they have a grandfathered sim and themselves have less tier costs. Others charge more.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The island owner can give you "ownership" where your name or group appears on the parcel. But if they stop paying their tier, you lose your land along with them. On Mainland, as long as you go on paying LL directly you keep the land.

But this doesn't answer the OP's original question. The answer is: because they can. Some island dealers have lower costs -- perhaps they have a grandfathered sim and themselves have less tier costs. Others charge more.

The OPs question was actually about no tier and tier.  As in, your free 1024 with premium as opposed to renting a 1024 from someone.

7 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

The OPs question was actually about no tier and tier.  As in, your free 1024 with premium as opposed to renting a 1024 from someone.

Didn't seem like that at all:

"why some parcels you can purchase have no monthly tiers were as others that advertise as purchasable parcels with land ownership, etc but also have a weekly/monthly tier fee? 

UNLESS she didn't understand what the 1024 tier is in the first place. But no matter, my point is that there is a range of island offerings, some giving you a piece of land for free or a token amount, with monthly tier payments, and others charging more for that initial move-in.

• Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...

And just for MsAfrodite ... part of the reason people rent parcels on private islands (vs mainland) is that it seems to work out to be cheaper than paying for a year's premium membership.

The cost of that premium membership is US$99 which is roughly equal to 24,000L. Which means you are appearing to paying "rent" to LL for your free 1024 allocation of land at a rate of roughly 460L/week, plus whatever you paid to buy that parcel of land (if you are not living in a Linden home). That could be 1,000L or 5,000L depending on location, views, etc. And rents for the same amount of space on some private island might only be 150-250L/week, so renting seems the better deal.

But the true cost of that free allowance of 1024m with your premium account is much less ... LL gives you in the first year a 1,000L bonus (after 45 days membership) plus 300L/week stipend. Excluding that 1,000 one-time gift, that means your real weekly cost to "rent" that 1024m panel from LL is actually 160L (the 460 - 300), so with membership paying part of your rent, it works out cheaper for many to pay the premium membership and just use the 1024.

Note: I am only considering economic value here, not what can be done on your parcel, prims available, etc. Renting on private islands though opens up opportunities to do business, run clubs, etc depending on what the parcel owners rules right be. And if you really want to go all in, you rent a full homestead sim from someone at a rate of about 7,000L / week (covering their $109/month cost with LL to run this) and set your own rules.

Feature request: I'd love to see LL allow couples who are both premier members to combine their land allowance so that we could jointly live on one 2048 parcel on the mainland, instead of having two separate parcels or having one of us have to pay the extra US$7/month feee for that amount (tier) of land. I'd also love to be able to purchase outright a homestead, without the requirement to own a regular full sim, but as a newbie do not have the understanding of how/why that whole system requirement came to be.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Feature request: I'd love to see LL allow couples who are both premier members to combine their land allowance so that we could jointly live on one 2048 parcel on the mainland, instead of having two separate parcels or having one of us have to pay the extra US$7/month feee for that amount (tier) of land.

this is already possible, for as long i can remember ... use a group.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Feature request: I'd love to see LL allow couples who are both premier members to combine their land allowance so that we could jointly live on one 2048 parcel on the mainland, instead of having two separate parcels or having one of us have to pay the extra US$7/month feee for that amount (tier) of land.

As Alwin mentioned, you can use a group for this.  Create a group -- make both of you Owners, so neither can ever take control away from the other - and then you both contribute your 1024 tier to the group.  Either of you can then do a "Buy for group" of a single parcel (make sure you are wearing the Group tag to do the Buy).  The other advantage is that a Group will give you a 10% bonus, so you could actually buy a 2252 sqm sized parcel and have it be covered by the total 2048 tier that the group has.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

And just for MsAfrodite ... part of the reason people rent parcels on private islands (vs mainland) is that it seems to work out to be cheaper than paying for a year's premium membership.

The cost of that premium membership is US$99 which is roughly equal to 24,000L. Which means you are appearing to paying "rent" to LL for your free 1024 allocation of land at a rate of roughly 460L/week, plus whatever you paid to buy that parcel of land (if you are not living in a Linden home). That could be 1,000L or 5,000L depending on location, views, etc. And rents for the same amount of space on some private island might only be 150-250L/week, so renting seems the better deal.

Thank you @Katherine Heartsongfor the breakdown!! That was very helpful!  I was a premium member when I first came back to SL. I did so for all the things you mentioned, the stipend, etc. But what I found was it wasn't conducive to my preference to privacy. I found that no matter which house/location I selected there were a lot of other parcels surrounding me.  Also it was hard to find a beach parcel. For me, I crave having privacy and I also wanted a beach with waves, etc. So I gave up the premium membership and decided "buying" as Estates call it was a better option. It may cost a little more at the end but I guess it's the price of having exactly what I want, etc. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1270 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.