Real Talk: I'm thinking about making a Second Life YouTube video.

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've already thought about the subject matter (it's intended to be a comedic video, although it might not be of good taste to everyone.) I just wanted to know if you have any tips when making videos from Second Life. Like what kind of software I should use, editing tricks, and anything else I need to know.

• Like 1

You want to post in MACHINIMA, not General Discussion. The mod will likely move this for you if you ask.  

I have  some notecards from when I ran the Machinima Open Studio Project.  Poke me inworld if you want and I can send them over --- assuming I can find them LOL.     

My personal tip  is to be sure and use original or no music in your video unless you want YouTube to put ads with purchase links on your video. I stopped posting videos there in part because they were even trying to make money off of Creative Commons music --- not YouTube per se but the folks they let "mine" for familiar tracks.  

Have fun!!!!

And you are always welcome to film at Moon Beach (studio up in the sky with a city etc should you need a location (you need to have permission for locations).  

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

You want to post in MACHINIMA, not General Discussion. The mod will likely move this for you if you ask.  

I have  some notecards from when I ran the Machinima Open Studio Project.  Poke me inworld if you want and I can send them over --- assuming I can find them LOL.     

My personal tip  is to be sure and use original or no music in your video unless you want YouTube to put ads with purchase links on your video. I stopped posting videos there in part because they were even trying to make money of of Creative Commons music --- not YouTube per se but the folks they let "mine" for familiar tracks.  

Have fun!!!!

And you are always welcome to film at Moon Beach (studio up in the sky with a city etc should you need a location (you need to have permission for locations).  

Oh, thank you for the advice Chic Aeon! Yes, a mod can move this if needed.

I don’t make videos but from the SL videos I’ve seen, I’d recommend having a non-moving camera and composing your shots like real life videos. No full body views with the camera ten feet over your shoulder. It may be okay while playing SL but it does not make a good video.  Also, pay attention to lighting. 

• Like 2

There is really no need to have a non-moving camera but I agree that HOW you shoot is very important. You can mix in stills with some really impressive and SMOOTH camera work. It all depends on what you are aiming for -- this mostly to the OP :D.  But yes a long series of whole body shot from the same angle and often with the interface showing (cringe) is pretty tacky. So it is good to practice before you get too public LOL.

If you want to practice your "smooth cams" (these can be done with a space navigator but I always just used my mouse) then you want to make sure and INCREASE YOUR CAMERA SMOOTHLY --- so that your camming will be, well smooth!

Here is the RED DOT where you do that in Firestorm (and you really DO want to be in Firestorm or maybe Black Dragon to film) : 

image.thumb.png.348d743e145e9f65e468c1ab7b4db310.png

Here is an example of LOTS of smooth cams mixed with static shots and some fairly complex editing. From LONG ago. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 1

Well I don't disagree mates, but I do want to point out it all depends on the type of videos your doing as well too. If your doing game play videos then you want to be as authentic as possible. I've tested video recording on both Firestorm and Singularity and while Firestorm leads in a newer and shinier graphics style I will say Singularity gives the least amount of issues when rezzing and loads the world in a lot faster. Recording will make your game go a bit slower so if I were the OP I'd test it out on any viewers I have installed that I use and see which of them runs smoother on my hardware while recording. ;)

• Like 1

there are free screen recorders out there (Many use OBS Studio) and alot of good free video editors (davinci resolve free is very good) You will find quite a few good youtube tutorials out there and even if some are a bit dated concepts still about the same today. Also in general, you can look for tutorials on RL film making as alot of the principals apply to movie making in SL

The point is with free recorder and editor, it then costs nothing but your time to practice, practice, practice!

Also search out for SL film makers in youtube to see what others are doing maybe for some points of inspiration. But nowadays with the quality avis and clothing etc and bento animations alot of things are possible 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 8:11 PM, Chic Aeon said:

There is really no need to have a non-moving camera but I agree that HOW you shoot is very important. You can mix in stills with some really impressive and SMOOTH camera work. It all depends on what you are aiming for -- this mostly to the OP :D.  But yes a long series of whole body shot from the same angle and often with the interface showing (cringe) is pretty tacky. So it is good to practice before you get too public LOL.

If you want to practice your "smooth cams" (these can be done with a space navigator but I always just used my mouse) then you want to make sure and INCREASE YOUR CAMERA SMOOTHLY --- so that your camming will be, well smooth!

Here is the RED DOT where you do that in Firestorm (and you really DO want to be in Firestorm or maybe Black Dragon to film) : 

image.thumb.png.348d743e145e9f65e468c1ab7b4db310.png

Here is an example of LOTS of smooth cams mixed with static shots and some fairly complex editing. From LONG ago. 

Here's an example of a smooth cam. You also don't need a space navigator. Controllers work fine too. I used a Xbox360 Controller for this.

Also static camera can work too. It depends on the usage, see one of my other videos:

The camera in the first section was completely static, in the second section it was semi-static, the camera was focused on my hip bone, following the animation. The last part was a simple mouse-scroll in with camera smoothing fired up to 11.

On 10/30/2020 at 1:33 PM, Jackson Redstar said:

there are free screen recorders out there (Many use OBS Studio) and alot of good free video editors (davinci resolve free is very good) You will find quite a few good youtube tutorials out there and even if some are a bit dated concepts still about the same today. Also in general, you can look for tutorials on RL film making as alot of the principals apply to movie making in SL

The point is with free recorder and editor, it then costs nothing but your time to practice, practice, practice!

Also search out for SL film makers in youtube to see what others are doing maybe for some points of inspiration. But nowadays with the quality avis and clothing etc and bento animations alot of things are possible 

I'd put my money (or lack thereof since its free) on NVidia Shadowplay/Share. It records right out of the trashed rendering images and recycles them, which means there is close to no performance impact when recording (given your drive isn't bottlenecking) and it allows recording at any resolution with pretty good quality.

I been looking for something other than the space mouse - works good usually but sometimes not. I know someone else uses a HOTAS (flight controller). Most the time the issue is lag when it gets below like 10fps any camera movement can get real choppy

I am recording in h.265 with the Nvidia ENC on OBS Studio. I tried shadowplay a couple times didn't really like it, but thats mostly cause Im used to OBS

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.