Can we please have the Deploy Plans for that Week so we know if what will happen?

Miller Thor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, arabellajones said:

As I understand it, the uplift process can't be invisible. Maybe not, strictly, a restart, but there's some risk of losing changes.

I guess it's not obvious to me why there should be any more or less risk of losing changes during an uplift migration than during a host-swap restart. Either way, the sim state must get copied at shutdown and loaded to another sim host for restart. There's maybe a bit of extra delay piping that state from datacenter to cloud, but at the scale of SL bandwidth, I'm not sure even that should be noticeable. But I'm not sure this is even the scenario in question.

The additional risk is that it could happen at any time, on any day, without more than 5 minutes notice.  It's bad enough to only get 5 minutes notice within a certain time window on a specific day.  I think a good rule to start with would be 10 minutes warning for every hour in the window.  So a during a 3 hour window there should be at least 30 minutes warning.  A 24 hour window should have at least 4 hours warning.

4 hours ago, Sayrah Parx said:

The additional risk is that it could happen at any time, on any day, without more than 5 minutes notice.  It's bad enough to only get 5 minutes notice within a certain time window on a specific day.  I think a good rule to start with would be 10 minutes warning for every hour in the window.  So a during a 3 hour window there should be at least 30 minutes warning.  A 24 hour window should have at least 4 hours warning.

if they give warning, it needs to only be on the forum,  those annoying popups are annoying and not wanted.  a normal region restart message in the top right corner is all it used to take.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Sayrah Parx said:

Sometimes, these windows take an incredibly long time, I am not sure a rule like this can ever be useful. But 10 minutes rather than 5 minutes, outside of a clearly announced window would help. I don't think we have the infrastructure for that, some sort of All-users IM channel which can't be turned off, and that could be so easily abused. Could some future Linden Lab start selling ad space on such a channel? We just don't know.

Linden Lab need to have a good look at their infrastructure supporting restarts, but we can't expect that before Christmas.

I suppose that Linden Lab are doing things today, more uplift going on...

I don't think there's malice in the lack of communication.

The big question is, can we trust them?

I suppose the basic analogy is with driving. What do you call a driver who never bothers using their indicators?

Edited by arabellajones
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, arabellajones said:

As far as I can see, we have no choice as to whether or not we trust them and I see no reason as to why that should be an issue.  It is their programme and they would be the biggest loser if it went badly.  We just have to grit our teeth and hang on.

• Like 1

• Lindens
3 hours ago, arabellajones said:

I suppose the basic analogy is with driving. What do you call a driver who never bothers using their indicators?

You can haz! I was just exhausted after finishing up the prep work for today's RC roll last night and forgot to make the appropriate forum post, my apologies :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.