Are child avatars allowed on Adult sims that aren't sex orientated

chibiusagino

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thanks everyone. I actually went to the karaoke place and asked the owner why he had it rated A as I feel like morally it puts me in a rough spot. I know nothing goes on there, but not everyone who lands might, and seeing a child-like avatar there isn't a good look. His answer for the rating base is that anyone can sing any type of song there, including explicit stuff. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I have a horror based sim, I do NOT allow them. Because I do not see any reason a child avatar should be in that setting.

Well, because children are part of the world. The walking death had children. Taking Solars example, I could imagine pretty fine roleplay, that includes children and teenagers, who did survive the end of the world. Not to argue with you now, of course. I just wanted to illustrate, that there are plenty of reasons why a child avatar is a possibility in such settings.

16 hours ago, chibiusagino said:

Thanks everyone. I actually went to the karaoke place and asked the owner why he had it rated A as I feel like morally it puts me in a rough spot. I know nothing goes on there, but not everyone who lands might, and seeing a child-like avatar there isn't a good look. His answer for the rating base is that anyone can sing any type of song there, including explicit stuff. 

Yeah don't worry about it, an A-rated Region doesn't necessarily mean that being rated that way there will be sexual activities.
Some regions that i go for Skill Gaming are A-rated due to swearing etc and child Avatars are allowed but naked avatars aren't, others although M-rated do not allow child avatars. It's up to the land owner.

19 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

And then there's the whole debated about what constitutes a child avatar.  People.assume it only means the actual tiny little ones who are obvious children.  All too often lately, I've seen more than a few whose faces are definitely childlike as well as the clothing, hair and accessories yet have some boobs and hips. I'd classify a lot of those as children (appear to be less than 18).  It's a fine line that all many seem to be pushing. These ones often have to put a disclaimer in their profiles about being over 18 as they are aware they don't look it.

By that description then pretty much anyone wearing a pale Asian skin with a kawaii-style shape would be a child avatar to you then.

6 minutes ago, MelodicRain said:

By that description then pretty much anyone wearing a pale Asian skin with a kawaii-style shape would be a child avatar to you then.

Actually, no.  Children generally have large round eyes and button noses.  Think Gerber baby.  Their eyes take up a larger portion of their faces than adults eyes.  Just science.  Now in general, that's fine.  Add a kids backpack, a school outfit with a snot bubble and yeah, that says child to me even if there is some curve.

Eta:  and remember, child means anyone appearing to be less than 18.  Trust me, I see this look a lot in adult areas.(sex area)

Edited by RowanMinx

19 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

These ones often have to put a disclaimer in their profiles about being over 18 as they are aware they don't look it.

They don't put that in there, because they think they aren't looking over 18, but because others accuse them of being underage. And those accusations are rude and unwelcome, so they try to get around that discussion right before they have to deal with it. Just like anyone else who puts up disclaimers in their profile: To avoid certain conversations.

Some people in SL have forgotten, what RL women between 18-30 look like and that they would not be able to "clock them" on a precise, universal age either.

And we had this discussion not too long ago, involving someone who rules over their sim by exactly that mindset. Everyone who looked young got branded pedophile/childavatar.

Edited by Syo Emerald

4 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

They don't put that in there, because they think they aren't looking over 18, but because others accuse them of being underage. And those accusations are rude and unwelcome, so they try to get around that discussion right before they have to deal with it. Just like anyone else who puts up disclaimers in their profile: To avoid certain conversations.

Some people in SL have forgotten, what RL women between 18-30 look like and that they would not be able to "clock them" on a precise, universal age either.

The thing is, it's usually the accompaning accessories as I mentioned above.  If you're dressed like a tween, people will think it's more childlike than adult. It's never just the shape.  It the combination of everything.

Edited by RowanMinx

24 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

The thing is, it's usually the accompaning accessories as I mentioned above.  If you're dressed like a tween, people will think it's more childlike than adult. It's never just the shape.  It the combination of everything.

Well, I have seen how that one particular thread went and what avatars got the boot. It wasn't some school girl accessories.

3 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Well, I have seen how that one particular thread went and what avatars got the boot. It wasn't some school girl accessories.

I was only commenting on what I've actually seen and not on petite avatars in general nor on what happened in some other thread.  Don't read more into it than what I actually said as to why some avatars are seen as too young for an area.

My examples have always included the overall look plus accessories.  But we can agree to disagree of course.

18 hours ago, chibiusagino said:

That's generally not a good idea, trying to preach the "moral high ground" to a landowner, fastest way to wind up on their ban list imho 🤔

On 9/27/2020 at 7:13 PM, Qie Niangao said:

In practice, I don't know if there's much non-sexual Adult content that's a big draw for child avatars.

Content no.

But SL is so random in regions.

Most skin and body shops are on G land - with fully nude models or screenshots present on many of them... and I've seen many house and vehicle shops on A land...

I imagine if I was a child avatar looking for something like a 'Paris loft skybox'... I might easily find myself on an A plot, since the one I actually do own was sold on such a plot...

It can get weird all through no intent of the end user at all... there you are looking at skyboxes on your child avatar and me on my nude neko TPs in because I'm shopping for the same thing and the region said 'A' so I didn't see the need to bother digging up my 'invisible hidden avatar' look...

And then we have this moment where one of us, or both of us, quickly TPs out...

Folks need to really think about putting their venues in the right rated areas for the content they're providing.

Imagine how often a person on a child AV goes skin or hair shopping - in a store that sells both... and finds themselves standing there next to a fully nude wall display of the skin, on a G-rated region...

- That must get very annoying...

The entire policy of 'child AVs can be on A rated regions' could be a moot point, a policy no one ever bothered to look up, if venues put out proper content for the regions they placed themselves in...

- and yes, that might mean many shops should have 2 locations... but maybe that's the right call anyway if you're selling adult skins and general use hair at the same time... or even if you just sell skins but some of them are for adults and some for children - because even if you don't put up nude images of your skins... All too often I see people demoing them in the shop... (I've seen one shop avoid this by putting the demos on MP - more often places do that the other way around if they split it).

Adult land became popular due to a multitude of things that occurred around the same time; the german medias 'pedo' articles, LL sending threatening notecards to child-avs, LL age-verification, the teen grid shutting down and migrating over, and daniel lindens call for residents to cam around others' properties looking for 'broadly offensive content' to AR.

with all that stuff going on, the most sensible thing to do was to simply escape to adult land, whether you had a kink or not.

Edited by Nina Stepford
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

Actually, no.  Children generally have large round eyes and button noses.  Think Gerber baby.  Their eyes take up a larger portion of their faces than adults eyes.  Just science.  Now in general, that's fine.  Add a kids backpack, a school outfit with a snot bubble and yeah, that says child to me even if there is some curve.

Eta:  and remember, child means anyone appearing to be less than 18.  Trust me, I see this look a lot in adult areas.(sex area)

Minus the snot bubble it also describes Kawaii and accessories, which I see promoted quite a bit at various sales events. The look is bound to spill over into more and more Adult areas simply because it is a fashion culture, not just a way to look like a child.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Minus the snot bubble it also describes Kawaii and accessories, which I see promoted quite a bit at various sales events. The look is bound to spill over into more and more Adult areas simply because it is a fashion culture, not just a way to look like a child.

Yes I completely understand that the kawaii look is popular.  People who choose that look also have to understand that there will be region owners who won't allow them in their adult areas.  A lot already don't allow anime avatars.  Many people feel uncomfortable with tween looking avatar in a sex place.  Just because something is popular with a lot of people, doesn't mean everyone else thinks it appropriate.  I don't care how anyone chooses to look.  They just need to realize that not everyone is going to see their avatar as over 18.

On 9/29/2020 at 3:11 PM, RowanMinx said:

And then there's the whole debated about what constitutes a child avatar.  People.assume it only means the actual tiny little ones who are obvious children.  All too often lately, I've seen more than a few whose faces are definitely childlike as well as the clothing, hair and accessories yet have some boobs and hips. I'd classify a lot of those as children (appear to be less than 18).  It's a fine line that all many seem to be pushing. These ones often have to put a disclaimer in their profiles about being over 18 as they are aware they don't look it.

Another reason for stating age can prevent minors from trying to interact with you.

I ran into a few that wanted to be friends in the past. They generally seek people their own age. Stating I'm outside their peer range has eliminated that issue.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.