Latest Grid Survey

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1309 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is always interesting. Hat tip to Daniel Voyager for tweeting that the highest concurrency was 60,000 on April 20.

I could note that April 20, Hitler's birthday, and the nearby April 22, Lenin's Birthday, are dates that always attract griefers to get up to some mischief. That might or might not account for that surge. They see a post on 4chan or something and they surge in, even if they haven't come in a long time.

As of 21st September 2020 
- Max - 46, 000
- Average - 37, 000
- Min - 30, 000

So the estimate I often cite of 30,000 based on only a sense of the past is low, and the average is 37,000, so that's good to know.

Some other fun facts on Tyche's Grid Survey from which this is taken:

There are 25,000 sims. That's down from the glory days of over 30,000.

There are now 6806 Mainland sims, that is contiguous sims that include Linden Homes. This figure was 5000 for a good long time; now it is up to 1806 more, which I think is only attributable to Bellissaria, as the Lindens stopped creating whole new Mainland sims for the auction years ago.

I was wondering the other day how many Bellissaria sims there are, and LH sims there are, and got tired trying to count them, and it may be that Patch Linden has given this figure. But if 1806 are Linden Homes, that's now 26% of the Mainland -- no wonder they feel like they are competition.

The other funny reminder is that Anshe Chung really still rules the world, even though she is divided into multiple Chungs, and Azure, which used to be owned by Adam Frisby, so she appears under different hats. But she still owns much of the islands, unless those Chungs really represent separate, wholly-owned businesses.

55.5% of Private Estate regions are Full Regions, 43.9% Homesteads & 0.6% Openspaces. I think that's an indication that no untethered homesteads are needed and would glut the land market and of course be owned by no-show owners.

As of Jan 2017 36914 Linden Homes are occupied.

Well, that's 3 years outdated. I imagine there are at least 60,000 premium accounts with at least 50,000 Linden homes, no?

I guess the conclusion I draw from this is that SL is still slowly shrinking but that it has received a significant boost from COVID returnees and newbies and more relevantly, Linden Homes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I could note that April 20, Hitler's birthday, and the nearby April 22, Lenin's Birthday, are dates that always attract griefers to get up to some mischief. That might or might not account for that surge. They see a post on 4chan or something and they surge in, even if they haven't come in a long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_(cannabis_culture)

12 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

/me yawns .. a landbaron with to much spare time

I'm not a land baron as it happens, but if I were, that would be more than fine, that's what sustains the world you're in, if you ever log on.

Meanwhile, you can't resist saying something nasty in every thread. What poisoned your soul? The Internet?

• Haha 2

On 9/22/2020 at 2:59 PM, RowanMinx said:

Not true.  I know a lot of people come in either stoned or drunk.  Not sure why but they do.  I try to avoid those people.

Yes, so do I. This is one reason I have not sent a group invite since 2007. They can join the group on their own with 3 clicks.

I don't think stoned people celebrating "4/20" accounts for the surge given the more probable surge from Hitler's birthday and the rash of griefing that occurs.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 4:01 PM, Alwin Alcott said:

having a great example in some kind of blog "second thoughts"

What I say on my blog is a documented truth which I interpret, like it or not -- and it's on a third-party blog, not the official forums which have more attention. What you say on the forums is always gratuitously nasty, drives people away, especially new people, but I guess either you walk the edge or have a Linden connex, which accounts for your continued presence here.

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I don't think stoned people celebrating "4/20" accounts for the surge given the more probable surge from Hitler's birthday and the rash of griefing that occurs.

Seems correct. It's a different question, whether the general population of SL accounts are extra stoned celebrating 4/20. Which seens doubtful.

(But by next 4/20, what kind of holiday will we need?)

(When we start celebrating 6/14, sell short.)

9 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'm going long collectible memorabilia from the War on Christmas.

Well, this is going off-topic but I think the point to focus on is that the Lindens got 60,000 people to log into their game.

Some of them may have been stoned or only bent on griefing, but still, it's something.

And the more operative point is that it's up to 37,000, which is respectable and more than the 30,000 I thought it was.

I have an old Linden script that counts concurrency but it may be inaccurate, I have no idea.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1309 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.