Post your #FaceTheClimateEmergency pic!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Activists, scientists and people from all walks of life (and second life) are currently signing an open letter to the EU and global leaders.

In a nutshell this letter demands that the climate crisis is actually treated just as that: A real crisis.

I've encourage members of my group Fire Flower and Fire Flower Deluxe (on Discord) to read the letter and to consider signing it!

At the bottom of the letter you can generate a profile picture: https://climateemergencyeu.org/#pbgen

I thought it would be nice if you made a profile pic of your SL avi and posted it in this thread?

It's easy to do and fun, and it would help to raise awareness for this cause!

wendy_face_11sl.png.2ca5c95bee3c44375f92d38de7d587bd.png

I'm looking forward to see your pics! ♥♥♥

PS: It would be cool if you send them to me on twitter too cause I get that notify also on my phone! ☺️🌍✌️💚

• Like 3

Not really going to make any difference what some small group of people on sl or discord think or like or don't. 

The total number of people who use sl amounts up to diddly squat to those in power. 

Even if every single person here on the forums and in world signed it.. it would not matter or change anything. 

Really this thread was just about advertising your groups here in sl and on discord to try and drum up new members or business.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Not really going to make any difference what some small group of people on sl or discord think or like or don't. 

The total number of people who use sl amounts up to diddly squat to those in power. 

Even if every single person here on the forums and in world signed it.. it would not matter or change anything. 

Really this thread was just about advertising your groups here in sl and on discord to try and drum up new members or business.

If you'd looked at the hyperlink for even half a second, you'd see that this petition is not made by Wendy nor is it SL specific. She's merely drawing attention to a wider petition that has a vast list of high profile signatories already, alongside significant numbers of ordinary people.

But let's be real here: your post had nothing to do with the content of what Wendy had just posted. It was "grrr Wendy bad, OC good", tiredly played out yet again. And it's kinda tragic, to be honest.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

If you'd looked at the hyperlink for even half a second, you'd see that this petition is not made by Wendy nor is it SL specific. She's merely drawing attention to a wider petition that has a vast list of high profile signatories already, alongside significant numbers of ordinary people.

But let's be real here: your post had nothing to do with the content of what Wendy had just posted. It was "grrr Wendy bad, OC good", tiredly played out yet again. And it's kinda tragic, to be honest.

It doesn't matter who originally created the petition.. it will cause no changes at all. It doesn't matter who has already signed it either.  It's still not going to make anything happen  

I never referenced oc or vd at all in my reply  you did.  So you brought that into the thread not me.  Good job.  If anyone was tragic it was you. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

This thread is for what I state it is about in the original post.

I'm mentioning my groups because through these I can reach many people.

At the time of this writing I can hope to reach 118,885 people in summa.

I'm not trying to sell anything, and there is no hidden agenda.

That can easily be back tracked online where you will find that I'm using my social media accounts for activism and non-profit causes, such as BLM, Climate Strike, or the Artist Relief Event. I also think that some brands are participating in some activism because they hope to make more sales, and while I'm not motivated by financial profit myself, anyone participating in climate activism is having a positive effect, regardless of the "why" they are doing it.

So, even if you don't like me for personal reasons (which you have made clear in an email to me some time ago, Drako), it doesn't mean that everything I do must automatically be disregarded or disliked as well.

I believe that awareness should be raised where ever possible, and when ever it fits - which is right now as this letter is in circulation and accepting signatures.

In this case, it can be combined with a fun activity, like posting pics that can be generated on the web page of this open letter at https://climateemergencyeu.org/#pbgen

I also believe that we must not give up or become discouraged by thinking "what I do doesn't matter anyway".

If I felt that way, I would have long quit Second Life, but as it is, I still believe in this platform because it allows me to surround myself with people who appreciate me, I can express myself creatively, and I can hope to raise awareness by also reaching people through Second Life for causes that I deeply care about.

I know it is probably not resonating with you, but please never think that what you do is a lost cause.

Especially in tech we have a lot of allies who understand the climate emergency, and they have power too. I'm not very powerful, but even if only a handful of people watching the video that I tweeted, or read the letter, or decided to sign it, my effort was not wasted, and that is what I believe in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wendy.. the fact you think I'm still mad is tragic really.  I have long  moved beyond what  happened nearly two years ago just about  between you and me. 

You can make all the claims you want.  But the real motive is plain to see or you would not have felt the need to include your groups in the post. 

Just the link and the reason why would have  sufficed.

No one needed to know about your groups here or on discord at all. That was just plain advertising.. and does a disservice to the purpose of the link posted. 

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Wendy.. the fact you think I'm still mad is tragic really.  I have long  moved beyond what  happened nearly two years ago just about  between you and me. 

You can make all the claims you want.  But the real motive is plain to see or you would not have felt the need to include your groups in the post. 

Just the link and the reason why would have  sufficed.

No one needed to know about your groups here or on discord at all. That was just plain advertising.. and does a disservice to the purpose of the link posted. 

I can't follow that logic. I'm sorry you feel that way.

Part of the signature form encourages people to state which group or organization they are a part of.

It was meaningful to mention my groups, as they are for the purpose of activism and part of our autonomous social center in Arcadia.

The purpose of this thread was for Second Life residents to become aware of the open letter, and to have some fun posting their pics.

Please lets not let the thread go to waste by having a petty argument. It will only drive people away, and I see no reason why this would be meaningful at all.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Wendy Starfall said:

Please lets not let the thread go to waste by having a petty argument. It will only drive people away, and I see no reason why this would be meaningful at all.

On this I may concede. But only this. 

Though there is a climate problem and it is very evident.  Petitions alone rarely do anything or cause much change. It takes action and not just some words written or typed on some internet website.

I'm pretty sure most people are aware that there is a problem. Most just don't care about it and won't  because of some activist petition on the web.

Even if everyone in the world signed it.. it would not really make a difference  by itself. 

As towards having fun posting pictures of their avatars.. there is already threads for this. No need for one here in this section of the forums. 

• Like 1

personally, I think letter-writing has had it's day on this issue, but I'll share with you what I did:

I've stopped using air-conditioning for 3 years now, and switched to low-energy consumption fans, which is a big deal because it is humid and 32 deg C every day where i live. 

every little bit helps

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

You do know the Eu won't do anything? Germany closed all their carbon free nuclear plants and went back to burning that lovely carbon rich lignite not so long ago? EU action none

This. And it's not just Germany. Green parties all over Europe have a religious hatred for nuclear power - why 'religious'? Because it's irrational and ideological against all scientific evidence. The general public just don't know better, they expect any nuclear reactor to go Chernobyl or Fukushima on them at any given moment without warning and basically seem to think that nuclear power plants are little more than dirty bombs with a timer set to random.

The way people spoke about nuclear power after the HBO series Chernobyl was, to say the least, alarming. People don't seem able to differentiate between fact and fiction.

"So the emotional impact of the miniseries was spot-on while the scientific impact wasn’t much better than The Simpson’s.
   Too bad. Chernobyl appears to be the highest rated show of all time on IMdb and was the best opportunity we had yet to get this right for the public, to tamp down the fearmongering of radiation that has killed more people than radiation ever has.
" - Forbes

And probably on the same hype wave, Netflix decided to tackle the issue of nuclear power in their 'History 101' series:

"FALSE: HAVING NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS EQUALS HAVING NUCLEAR WEAPONS CAPABILITIES
   FACT: NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS ARE NOT USED TO MAKE NUCLEAR WEAPONS

"Toward the end of the episode, the narrator states that “if you have a nuclear power plant, you also have the means to make a nuclear weapon.”
This is not true. A commercial nuclear power plant is designed, constructed, and built to do one thing— produce heat and electricity." - US Energy Department, through energy.gov 
   Article: 
https://www.energy.gov/ne/articles/5-things-netflix-got-wrong-about-nuclear-power-its-history-101-series

Furthermore, Germany's current anti-nuclear stance isn't an issue of the Merkel regime 'caring about the climate', it's just a political gambit; if they have as strict an anti-nuclear policy as the green party, they can level the playing field against a populist opponent to try stabilizing their rule (in Sweden the Social Democrats did basically the same, they made a deal with the green party to give them the minister posts relevant to climate - of course, with the green party now barely making it into government as they don't have that all-important one question to tackle anymore, the Social Democrats are hoping that people will make the shorter move to their party, than to go all the way over to the opposing conservative bloc). 

It's a shame, really - I really do believe that our species is causing a climate change that will have catastrophic effects both on ourselves and on multitudes of other species of life adapted to what the world is like today; but the governing politicians in Europe are a bunch of machiavellian swine. 

So, here's to facing the climate emergency.

Reiche die Apokalypse

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

I've stopped using air-conditioning for 3 years now, and switched to low-energy consumption fans, which is a big deal because it is humid and 32 deg C every day where i live.

Good move! AC is an amazing invention, but it leaves a horrific carbon footprint. People have to consider how quickly it has come about. Some of the homes built in the 70's and 80's still don't have central air. It wasn't a deal breaker back then. How did it become so absolutely needed?

I've learned to love the heat. I tell myself, "If it were 30 degrees outside right right, you'd be loving this!!"

Edited by Evah Baxton

Most political leaders dont care about the environment, they only care about votes when its time for re-election. Anything that might smell like limitations on energy production through currently believed safe means, such as green energy laws is often vilianised because of the possible jobs it might take away or the costs that might be involved in bringing the companies up to green energy law standards. companies dont like those costs, so they will instead pay that extra money to politicians to prevent the extra costs down the road from such laws and regulations and retrofitting that would be required or rebuilding.

humans are a parasitic race, they devour what they can and return nothing in general. the few that try are out weighed by those that dont and wont.

until the skys turn grey/green/brown/black and the air becomes unbreathable without special equipment while outside nothing will be done. no matter how much complaining is done by anyone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

humans are a parasitic race, they devour what they can and return nothing in general. the few that try are out weighed by those that dont and wont.

until the skys turn grey/green/brown/black and the air becomes unbreathable without special equipment while outside nothing will be done. no matter how much complaining is done by anyone.

Even worse to consider the fact that we were created by nature and everything we make from plastic to concrete is 100% natural.

Sometimes I wonder about mother nature ... does she really have her head on as straight as we give her credit for?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Evah Baxton said:

Even worse to consider the fact that we were created by nature and everything we make from plastic to concrete is 100% natural.

Sometimes I wonder about mother nature ... does she really have her head on as straight as we give her credit for?

in one simple word.

no.

in a longer format.

mother nature is a force of random chaotic energy and not about what others think she was meant to be. she is not bound by any rules or laws but her own. to her the world is one big experiment. create a race.. let it rise up then kill it off.. then rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

This crises is so sevear. never before has it been so warm while actually being colder. never has it been so dry and actually beeing more humid. never before has the sealevels been rising as quickly witout moving at all. never before has the arctic ice disapeared by not changing at all.

never before have we had a hokes this big.

Please people, wake up to reallity atleast outside SL.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Evah Baxton said:

does she really have her head on as straight as we give her credit for?

How many species haven't come and gone, though. Evolution has taken many interesting paths to cope with the difficulties of life, the path of humanity is interesting and rather bizarre. Countless species has succumbed to climate change throughout the aeons past, we're just making the process of our own elimination quicker - at least, the destruction of life as we know it. The results of the climate change we're seeing is probably going to boil down to famine, disease, migration and warring for resources that will tear down society as we know it today; I'm fairly confident mankind may live on even in the most apocalyptic events, we're excellent at adapting and we're extremely versatile in both diet and climate compatibility (or rather making the climate compatible through the use of clothing and shelter). 

It's really hard to say how things will go, and what the full effects will be - we can run as many evaluations and simulations we want, we won't know for sure until we get there. 

Life will go on, with or without us, of that I'm certain. Well, for as long as we don't end up trying to nuke each other to steal each others' resources as our systems begin to collapse, anyway. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tsar Langsdorff said:

This crises is so sevear. never before has it been so warm while actually being colder. never has it been so dry and actually beeing more humid. never before has the sealevels been rising as quickly witout moving at all. never before has the arctic ice disapeared by not changing at all.

never before have we had a hokes this big.

Please people, wake up to reallity atleast outside SL.

typical response of the kind of person that does not believe in what is actually happening because the are so ignorant that they believe what some politician says instead.

1 minute ago, Evah Baxton said:

Until it isn't possible anymore. Beautiful isn't it?

It its own strange and mysterious way. it truly is. she allows us to learn from our mistakes like any true parent while giving hints, but not directly calling us out for being dumb and not learning before we do something totally stupid.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Evah Baxton said:

I am remembering (but too lazy to look up) an article that wrote about how a single avatar in a game used as much energy as as the average Brazilian. That was a while ago.

we use tremendous amounts of energy and cause a lot of waste heat from the computers we play these little games on. a high end gaming rig is ridiculous on how much power it can consume in an hour. enough for some third world families to have had light at night for their entire place of living.

lets not forget about those that are into cryptocurrencies either and the amount of power they consume on an hourly basis to maybe make a few dollars.  i tried it for a year once and it nearly tripled my electric bill while not even breaking even on the costs to run the machines to do it with.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Orwar said:

It's really hard to say how things will go

The "larger brain" appears to be the common theme though. A few million years and dolphins are the dominant species building their underwater worlds and dumping their garbage in the "air spaces" above them, the last Earthly frontier. :P I have to stop now.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.