Blocking/Muting through IMs?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 931 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it not possible to stop people from IMing you without actually being in front of them? Selecting their profile from the IM menu and then clicking the cog gives options like 'IM, Pay, Offer Teleport' etc. 

There was literally no way for me to stop this person messaging me, at least that I could find. Are you supposed to just wait until they get bored?

2 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I did. In two three different places. And again: the buttons do not say 'Mute' but 'Block'.

crieghtone is using the Linden viewer. There is no Block menu option on the Linden web profile.  On the Linden viewer, with a avatar not on the same region, we have to Block in the Conversations window

4 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

[..] Linden viewer. [...] no Block menu option [...] Linden  [...] the Linden viewer

Oh. Well, yet another reason not to use the Linden Lab viewer better use the Firestorm viewer then just wait until they get bored. :P

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Haha 5

46 minutes ago, creightone said:

Is it not possible to stop people from IMing you without actually being in front of them? Selecting their profile from the IM menu and then clicking the cog gives options like 'IM, Pay, Offer Teleport' etc. 

There was literally no way for me to stop this person messaging me, at least that I could find. Are you supposed to just wait until they get bored?

There is a way.

Step 1: Open the People box and go to the Blocked tab. Click that plus sign and choose "Block Resident by name"

image.png.af540e67a4982694a9711c2d8f05c091.png

Step 2: Search for the avatar's name you want to block, highlight name, and click OK.

image.png.3659cd234e9fa13c1505efcb1b698310.png

Or in an active IM, right-click on the person's name and choose "Block text" from menu. You can also do the same to block voice.

image.png.45b38bee2437a3cd4062dfd495fd4542.png

Edited by Gregorian Chant
more pictures
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some great advice here!  One basic thing to remember..."Block" and "Mute" are simply two different words for the same thing.  We oldsters tend to call it "Mute", because that is what earlier viewers called it.  These days, it's "Block" in most viewers.

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Aeris Ashbourne said:

Muting does noting but block them from IM'ing you. They can still see you and can still interact with your avatar. LL does nothing to correct it. This was the griefer I muted and he was still able to touch my avatars to the point of seizing up my pc which is a Ryzen CPU based system. Beware of this individual as he won't stop xxxx xxxx

you have to remove that name and key, it's against forum rules.
In extreme cases your own account might be on risk by doing it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 931 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.