is msi GEFORCE GT 1030 2GHD4 LP OCgood for second life?

ri13

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Be aware the original NVidea GForce 1030 had 2GB of GDDR5 memory with a 64-bit memory bus and is 100% faster(!!!) than the versions equipped with 2GB DDR4.

This is a GPU with the GDDR5 RAM : GIGABYTE GeForce GT 1030 Low Profile - 2GB

If you by any chance can afford to pay twice as much, go for at GForce 1050.

• Like 1

Oops, didn't notice it was the DDR4 version. Yeah, the GDDR5 is better if you can get it for the same price. I don't think either one is going to choke out an old Pentium Dual Core though. If I were spending much more than that on a video card, I'd just upgrade the whole system. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

first upgrade I would do instead of a video card is ram,  windows 10 and SL are fighting each other heavily at 4gb of system ram.

Very good perception skill.

18 hours ago, ri13 said:

these are my pc specifications ..

Exactly what bigmoe said. You do need more RAM since you are on Win10 or you will be paging all of the time.

Regarding the NVidia it's gonna be ok (iGP G41 is nowhere near it). The CPU is old but it can still handle SL just fine as long as you are not overdoing it.

• Like 1

im a bit confused how much  ram should add? 2gb  enough? i dont really know if win7 is fater because its an older version so keeping win10 and adding 2gb ram is enough?

Edited by ri13

Ideally, it would up to 8 GB RAM, that would mean adding 4 GB. 

But no-one here can tell anything about your mainboard setup, though. There are tools like Speccy or CPU-Z to get more details about the system. Or you can name the exact system model besides "Fujitsu". There are chances that it won't even handle new grapic cards.

I have a certain feeling that you should rather save your money for a whole new system instead of wasting money on a dead-end...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ri13 said:

im a bit confued how much  ram should add? 2gb  enough? i dont really know if win7 is fater because its an older version so keeping win10 and adding 2gb ram is enough?

Ok lets be honest , your PC is outdated and you would be throwing away money on overpriced old type RAM modules, so it's best to go on with the Win7 installation.

They will work fine and as long as you have a good antivirus you have nothing to worry about and yes it will be smoother for the SL Client too.

Nevermind what Microsoft says, its their business to sell and i get it, i ve been part of that "oh you need to upgrade" business for 15 years in the past.

Edited by Nick0678
  • Like 2

I can only agree with the two postings above. It is better to dig deeper into your wallet and buy a new PC according to current standards than to try upgrading this Stone Age calculator. That would just be wasted money. However, it is already admirable for me how you can still use this box for SL. The last time such a machine came under the fingers about 1.5 decades ago ............... or 2 decades. I dont remember 😉 .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Miller Thor said:

I can only agree with the two postings above. It is better to dig deeper ...

You can't imagine.

There are people here who use even older spec pc's that still have Windows Vista and i suppose it's OK since there are others who use the "later" Atom based series with 1-2GB RAM which is total crap of course and Win10 is killing them on boot (although preinstalled/suggested by Manufacturer).

It really depends on what people like to do in SL.

• Like 1

ty guys however this is a this is a report from a website it clearly says i can run sl even with the 1030 graphic card  the website is game debate also i dont like ultra graphic ill just use medium

Capture.PNG

You can run Second Life on a potato. Your graphic configurations along with the specific region you're in will be the determining factor in how much lag you experience. Too many places (and avatars) use poorly optomized builds that once stacked with 1,000 others generate a lot of lag. Even my 1080 ti will get sub 30 FPS with mid graphics.

• Like 5

Something to remember: adding RAM is locked to that motherboard, even through 8GB will make a big difference. A video card can be transferred to a new machine, and the nVidia 10xx series is still pretty recent. It's not a dead end. And a 1030 is an OK card.

One caution: nVidia stopped supporting VGA with the 9xx series chips. There are several different digital standards in use. These days an LED TV makes a fine monitor, with a 20" to 24" screen diagonal and HDMI input. And for ordinary sound you can use the TV speakers via HDMI. That's also the game console standard. Again, not a dead end.

My computer is pretty old but decent for CPU and electrical power. More powerful GPUs might need a special adaptor lead to provide electrical power on an old machine but the 1030 avoids that problem, it's designed for your situation.

• Like 1

Errr... more powerful GPU options should certainly not need special adapters to make it work with an old power supply that was never meant to support such connections.

That's a risky and expensive lottery waiting for disaster. At least you get a regular dose of fun in guessing what might burn down, just the GPU, the PSU, everything connected to the mainboard, the house.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 2:30 PM, Scaler Rexen said:

You can run Second Life on a potato.

Yes you can. My species of potato: Mac mini Mid 2010 Core 2 Duo P8600 / Nvidia GeForce 320M / 4GB RAM. Not sure what one would call that species but it is definitely a bit musty and squishy.

According the UserBenchMark, the OP's choice of GPU is 1000+% better than mine. If I can log in and fumble about (just have to avoid groups of avatars that are 2 or more in number... no biggie) then they should have no problem fumbling about with better visuals than me.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

my other pc, which just got it's 550ti back is running a lga775 qx9650 quad core with 8gb ram.    it does sl okay.  if I throw my 980 into it, it does better.  but still.   firefox open playing youtube, browsing other sites, just means, I'm eating up the physical ram SL needs.    once you get to a certain point, windows starts to swap to the hard disk because there is no more physical ram left to use,  so that's where people get lag at, that's where people get performance issues at. 

Let me point out something about SL,  there was once where server performance was affected,  but LL has taken great strides to improve upon their hardware and now even have some of the simulators running in the cloud, there is no server side lag present anymore,   all lag is viewer side,  because of bottlenecks, low ram,  horrible cpu's, horrible gpus.    

There will be a point where, SL will not run on those machines anymore,  I hope people are going to be able to improve their systems enough where SL for them is feasible.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.