Linden Home - Walking Upstairs Issue

Lita Jannings

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1417 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Everyone, I am having an issue with my Linden Home which is a "LH - Victorian - The Hardy v1.25"

When I or my partner try to walk upstairs or downstairs. there appears to be something blocking the access. I've looked

for invisible or transparent objects but not able to find anything. This issue appears about half way up the stairs.

Any thoughts on how to fix the problem.

Thanks 

Lita Jannings 

I just tested that house and I can get up the stairs OK. The stair are HORRIBLE to navigate but passable.  So most likely it is a bad bounding box that isn't phantom or some bad physics model connected to some furniture. 

DEVELOPER > Render metadata >Physics shapes will let you see what it might be.     Good luck. 

• Like 2

Showing transparent items won't show you bounding boxes. I can't tell for sure; did you try what Chic suggested? 

ETA: You said you moved objects away, but do you happen to be using one of the wall "paint" shells that you may have forgotten to move as well?

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Haha 1

Can you try changing to a different model home, and then back?  Your furnishings will stay in place, but the new copy's wall colors may not be the same as they were.

Very rarely, a home's physics shape gets borked during rezzing.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Can you try changing to a different model home, and then back?  Your furnishings will stay in place, but the new copy's wall colors may not be the same as they were.

Very rarely, a home's physics shape gets borked during rezzing.

Yea, did that too but objects are out of place when I do that. most of the objects belong to my partner. I made some phantom but objects you sit on won't let you set that.

Tried a different style house that also has an upstairs. has the same issue.

Lita

Edited by Lita Jannings
Added more to the post

You can sit on phantom objects. If it'll let you mod them to phantom, do that. If it won't, pick them up one by one and check the stairs again. Chances are you have one thing doing this, so you can set everything else back once you find it.

For the physics view, a trick is to use Firestorm and derender (temporary only) the house. This will also remove it from the physics view, making it easier to see what else might be there.

I am not good to explain technical things, but complex parts that is set to "Physics none" can revert to "Physics prim" if it is edited. Especially if you change the root prim. Let us say you have an add-on that is set to Physics none to give it lower land impact, and you link something else to it, and the new thing is the now the root prim.

I have experienced that linksets can not have individual pieces set to phantom when it is linked. I have to unlink them and set the problem parts to phantom, then link again.

I have had problems many times when I edit and link add-ons made both by myself and others. I have learnt to be very careful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Artair Glendullen said:

If you've linked anything, it's possible that it's done something strange to the physics of one of the linked objects.

This was my thought. I had issues with an add-on doing this with the stairs when something it was linked too had it's physics.. "accidently" changed. That was a fun time.

• Like 1

If you use Firestorm you can easily see the physics shape of any object. To do so you need to edit an object and go to the the features tab and click on the little eye with the red slash through it to the right of the Physics Shape Type selector.

c3bcf31114a4c814cc65ba5b5d4dbb35.png

Once you click on it the red slash goes away and the physics shape then will be visible as a blue shape.

34fec4e6087cb48a9adddd1687ee245a.jpg

With this cylinder hollowed and cut and set to convex hull you can see that the physics shape does not follow the shape of the object. No one could walk through the opening to get to the center space. If you change the type from convex hull to prim the physics shape changes.

d143afdc483ea3a12d4725299854659f.jpg

Now anyone could walk to the center. Once you're finished checking the physics shape be sure to click on that eye again or you'll wonder why you're seeing that blue shape the next time you edit an object.

Also, be aware that with mesh objects the creator sets the physics type by creating a separate physics objects that is uploaded when the mesh object is brought into SL. So just because in this instance changing the physics type from convex hull to prim would solve the walking issue that doesn't mean it's that easy with a mesh object. Quite often to fix this issue mesh objects that are linked in a link set have the physics shape set to none. If someone changes the link set it's possible that the object that had been set to none might become the parent of the link and no parent of a link can have it's physics set to none. This is quite often what causes the problem you've described.

Edited by Blush Bravin
Added the last paragraph
  • Thanks 4

I am thinking there is an issue with the House itself, Tried a different home with an upstairs and have the same issue. (Not being able to walk up or down the stairs).

I also set some objects to phantom but other objects are no mod and can't set the no mod objects to phantom

Thanks Lita

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1417 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.