Cannot build on LH

melanatedaquarian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1543 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to enable building on my land in order to put down a walkway connecting the stairs outside to the Linden provided sidewalk. I've already created a group and just sent a request to a friend. The land is set to a group, the same one I created, but it still says building is not enabled. A relic also didn't help. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

If you are the landowner, build should be enabled when you're in your parcel, whether or not the land is set to a group.  Setting it to a group is really only necessary when you want to allow others to be able to build on your parcel.

You might want to turn on showing property lines so that you can make sure that you are standing in your parcel and that the object you are trying to build is also within your parcel.  Typically there is some Linden protected land between the sidewalk and the edge of the home parcel - if where you're standing is Linden protected land, you won't be able to build there.

Edited by Moira Timmerman
missing comma
  • Like 4

On 4/23/2020 at 5:23 PM, melanatedaquarian said:

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to enable building on my land in order to put down a walkway connecting the stairs outside to the Linden provided sidewalk. I've already created a group and just sent a request to a friend. The land is set to a group, the same one I created, but it still says building is not enabled. A relic also didn't help. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

In order to do what you want you need to build the walkway on YOUR property. What "looks" like your property most likely belongs to Linden Lab :D.  You need to make your walkway on your property and then add a prim that you can use as an ANCHOR  and that prim needs to be inside your own parcel. It can be underground if you want or made invisible. You can also link your walkway to another item in your house and then use Edit Linked Parts to move JUST the walkway out towards the road.  

I doubt the problem  has anything to do with groups. 

• Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 9:16 AM, Chic Aeon said:

In order to do what you want you need to build the walkway on YOUR property. What "looks" like your property most likely belongs to Linden Lab :D.  You need to make your walkway on your property and then add a prim that you can use as an ANCHOR  and that prim needs to be inside your own parcel. It can be underground if you want or made invisible. You can also link your walkway to another item in your house and then use Edit Linked Parts to move JUST the walkway out towards the road.  

I doubt the problem  has anything to do with groups. 

You're most likely right about it having nothing to do with groups, but thought I'd give it a try to eliminate as many possible oversights.

On 4/25/2020 at 5:42 AM, Micaela Mercury said:

It may also be that your avatar is "wearing" a different group at the moment.
Going to your groups and activate the group you put on your linden house may solve it.

Thought that could have been the issue and tried that, too. Still it told me I couldn't build in the area. At first I thought it was only available to accounts that are so many days old since I just joined, but apparently that wasn't an issue

On 4/23/2020 at 8:29 PM, Moira Timmerman said:

If you are the landowner, build should be enabled when you're in your parcel, whether or not the land is set to a group.  Setting it to a group is really only necessary when you want to allow others to be able to build on your parcel.

You might want to turn on showing property lines so that you can make sure that you are standing in your parcel and that the object you are trying to build is also within your parcel.  Typically there is some Linden protected land between the sidewalk and the edge of the home parcel - if where you're standing is Linden protected land, you won't be able to build there.

Thanks for the help! I'm within the limits of my home, even tried to build while standing inside (still didn't work)

1 hour ago, melanatedaquarian said:

You're most likely right about it having nothing to do with groups, but thought I'd give it a try to eliminate as many possible oversights.

Thought that could have been the issue and tried that, too. Still it told me I couldn't build in the area. At first I thought it was only available to accounts that are so many days old since I just joined, but apparently that wasn't an issue

Thanks for the help! I'm within the limits of my home, even tried to build while standing inside (still didn't work)

silly quistion maybe  ..but are you sure your on your own lindenhome  ?  

On 4/24/2020 at 2:23 AM, melanatedaquarian said:

in order to put down a walkway connecting the stairs outside to the Linden provided sidewalk.

This tells me it is probably what Chic says. There usually a gap between the stairs and the sidewalk, belongs to Linden

7 hours ago, melanatedaquarian said:

You may need to contact Support, either by filing a support ticket, or by using the Live Chat which is available for premium members.  Live Chat is available between the hours of 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time zone.

Further info about contacting support:

https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000131009-contact-support

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you @Atina0, @Saphyre Cyberstar, @iBrat, @Moira Timmerman, and @Alwin Alcott!

So I typed up a whole response to everyone...then it all disappeared after the connection timed out :X. 

I happened to walk by a neighbor's home that was just stunning; so I messaged her and long story short she walked me through putting in a connecting tile between the sidewalk and my house by placing a texture on a prim I rez. Meanwhile I still see the same icons indicating building is prohibited on the lot. I'll follow pu a screenshot after I set up a new graphics card. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, melanatedaquarian said:

Meanwhile I still see the same icons indicating building is prohibited on the lot.

If you're referring to the icons that show up in the parcel name bar at the top of the viewer screen, those icons indicate actions that other residents are not able to perform on or over your parcel. 

That does not mean that you are prohibited from performing those actions. 

If you look at "About Land -> Options"  there is an section where you can indicate which permissions other residents  (or group members, if the land is set to a group) can perform on the parcel - fly, build, run scripts, object entry.  When one of those setting is turned off for "Everyone", then the icon indicating that is not allowed is displayed in the parcel name bar.   Not allowing "Everyone"  to build is a good setting for your Linden Home parcel.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1543 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.