SL CAN-SPAM Act compliance, lack of

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The object 'Fully Furnished Luxury Sky Villas 210L$/Week.' has sent you a message from Second Life:
... Available for Rent Lavish Sky Villas Beach-Style 100 Prims Extra included. Hurry to rent your dream home!

---
To stop receiving these emails, login to https://accounts.secondlife.com/change_email/ and uncheck "I would like to receive offline IMs via Email

This is an IM forwarded to email.

This email is not CAN-SPAM act compliant.

• Doesn't matter that it began as an IM. The law applies to "any electronic mail message the primary purpose of which is the commercial advertisement or promotion of a commercial product or service"
  • The "initiator" is the SL user who sent it. There's no opt-out link for them. Those spam emails need an "UNSUBSCRIBE" link that just blocks the sender, not all IMs.
  • Spam emails have to have the real-world business address of the sender, so you can sue them. This didn't. (You can't spam anonymously under US law, regardless of LL policy.)
  • LL did their part, offering to turn off IM to email conversion, but that doesn't let the original sender off the hook. All the parties in the chain have to comply.
Edited by animats
  • Like 6

On 4/18/2020 at 3:14 PM, animats said:

The object 'Fully Furnished Luxury Sky Villas 210L$/Week.' has sent you a message from Second Life:
... Available for Rent Lavish Sky Villas Beach-Style 100 Prims Extra included. Hurry to rent your dream home!

---
To stop receiving these emails, login to https://accounts.secondlife.com/change_email/ and uncheck "I would like to receive offline IMs via Email

This is an IM forwarded to email.

This email is not CAN-SPAM act compliant.

• Doesn't matter that it began as an IM. The law applies to "any electronic mail message the primary purpose of which is the commercial advertisement or promotion of a commercial product or service"
  • The "initiator" is the SL user who sent it. There's no opt-out link for them. Those spam emails need an "UNSUBSCRIBE" link that just blocks the sender, not all IMs.
  • Spam emails have to have the real-world business address of the sender, so you can sue them. This didn't. (You can't spam anonymously under US law, regardless of LL policy.)
  • LL did their part, offering to turn off IM to email conversion, but that doesn't let the original sender off the hook. All the parties in the chain have to comply.

I would think filing an abuse report and mentioning the CAN-SPAM act is the way to go?

i get these kinds of IM spams almost weekly and its getting very annoying and blocking the object doing the spam seems to not work cuz like the next week i get the exact same spam but from a new object.

These IM spams are worst then getting email spam, least that goes into our junk folder and dont have to read it at all.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Scripted objects to spam out "updates" on things I have not signed up to receive (and never would want in the first place) are a pain. Often they provide no indication how or even if it is possible to get off their list which was probably obtained from tracking visitors to one of the many clothing events. Instead of promoting their brand they just end up driving it into the gutter as people have to block the army of alts they use to send out the spam (after abuse reporting them of course).

Ideally we need a feature added to the offline email sent along the lines of...

• Click here to stop receiving offline emails from this user
  • Click here to flag the content of this offline email as unsolicited spam

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Last night me and five friends were sitting together in one region and all received a spam IM from a stranger. It contained a landmark link labeled something like "how to get everything you'll ever need in Second Life for free." Sounded like a scam for sure, and everyone blocked. Sadly, the sender's profile said that s/he is a thirteen year resident; looks like even SL elders can be *&*($!  I saw another thread talking about reducing whisper and chat ranges; hope that will help stop some of these large area blasts of spam.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.