Which comes first: the head or the “look”?

WinstonEverlast

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I definitely go for the look. I have played around with several heads/skins over the years and I generally find that my Avis all tend to look similar enough to be cousins. Same general features, just a slightly different facial structure that I tweak until I feel satisfied for the time,

When I made my last alt, I looked for names I liked. I found an unisex name from a different country. I thought this avatar could be sometimes male, sometimes female. It turned out to be a "He" all the time, and look totally different from what I envisioned.

When I created a couple (when we had last names for free) I meant to have them as a roleplay couple. I lost interest in roleplay just after that, and now they are just dolls to dress up. But they keep the look I had in mind when I picked names and roles for them.

*Waves*  Technical Olbie on a new account here.  I was here when mesh was just taking off.

What I did and still do now is decide on an overall look/theme/aesthetic I want to go for, I swap between being overly cute, classic goth and just a medieval look,  the last being due to rping a lot anyways.

I also in that time build my shape as well,  hair, skin and the rest of my body comes dead last.  I don't mind running around in freebie type of clothing for a bit.

11 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Just stop shaving and you can have that feeling all the time! 😉

Hah. Shave??

I'm stuck at home! I haven't seen anyone other than my partner outside of shopping and dog walking.

There are parts of me that are positively Yeti-like!

• Haha 2

For me, I started with a look I had in my mind.  Then I go hunt for parts that come closest to the face I envisioned.  I fiddled with shape sliders and demoed a bunch of heads and skin appliers until I find my face. 

For my alts, it's more of working with whatever cheapest stuff they can find and mold their looks from there.

Edited by Gregorian Chant
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 10:00 AM, Claireschen Hesten said:

Since i've been around before mesh came on the scene i went with the look first and sourced a head that looked most like how i looked. if i was new and not attached to any look i'd spent a long time crafting i would pick the head i most liked the look of and create a look around that

Me, too.

For me it's definitely the look. My look comes from a dream I had many years ago, long before SL even existed; to cut a long story short, the way I looked in that dream is the way my avatar has always looked (but it was a darn weird dream and I've told the story about it here before, I think. I'll try to dig it up out of my history).

So this is how I started; this pic was taken within my first two weeks of SL and that awful skin was a freebie I picked up in a roleplay sim. But it was exactly what I wanted.

old_3.jpg.26e769bdd7bdfd287ee172e0bd1d35a3.jpg

I upgraded my look over the years for quality; better skins, better hair; sometimes I was disappointed and sometimes I wasn't.  By 2017 I looked like this:

170225_003_600b.png.1be25c126acafb21e004e5307f068234.png

Still basically the same, really. Just... better. Always with shoulder-length ginger hair; only shorter when I'm dressed "vintage".

2017 was the year I got a mesh body, but I stayed with the same skin until I got a Catwa mesh head a year later. That year was frustrating to say the least; I couldn't find an applier skin that was right for my look. For a while I wore one from Birth that made me look older; while I liked it, it wasn't "right" and it wasn't "me". Eventually I got fed up with it, tossed the head back into my inventory and went back to that old skin on classic head.

Bakes on Mesh changed everything, and now my catwa head is back, with the same old skin, and now I think it looks better than ever.

2020-03-02_003.jpg.13d7a3e13cf1e11c7057664a76c2f284.jpg

I think I've done pretty well at matching my 2017 look here, and even at matching that old 2008 look. I haven't really changed at all.

Edited by Lewis Luminos
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Lewis Luminos said:

For me it's definitely the look. My look comes from a dream I had many years ago, long before SL even existed; to cut a long story short, the way I looked in that dream is the way my avatar has always looked (but it was a darn weird dream and I've told the story about it here before, I think. I'll try to dig it up out of my history).

Found it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.