Nothing is rezzing in SL

Anaxien Verino

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi,

I have tried clearing the cache, change the graphics, try a different viewer, tried the SL viewer, reinstalling firestorm. Uninstalling all the viewers and reinstalling the firestorm, and still thing only rez either half way or not at all. I tried with a different account as well, so I wonder if it isn't something on my computer.

Would anyone have an answer or any idea?

Thanks,

9 answers to this question

23 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

3. Turn off other programs that may be running in the background but requiring memory or disk access.

I've suspected (background) incoming Windoze Updates coming in when things like this happen in SL. There are a few floating around now and generally can't easily be detected or 'turned off', especially without effort. Give away' to that for me is when I finally get a notice to reboot and find updates installing. After that SL goes back to normal. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Anaxien Verino said:

Hi,

I have tried clearing the cache, change the graphics, try a different viewer, tried the SL viewer, reinstalling firestorm. Uninstalling all the viewers and reinstalling the firestorm, and still thing only rez either half way or not at all. I tried with a different account as well, so I wonder if it isn't something on my computer.

Would anyone have an answer or any idea?

Thanks,

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Anaxien.

If you don't usually have this kind of problem, it might just be your internet is slower than usual, because there is a lot more traffic on it during the COVID-19 crisis, as people are staying in/isolating themselves, and making use of the internet to communicate and shop.

Other suggestions/answers will follow, so please keep returning to your thread. 

• Like 3

Try the standard solutions first:

1. Reboot your router and modem by unplugging them from the power for a minute or so and then plugging them back in and restarting everything.

2. Use a direct cable connection instead of wifi if you can. Many people have no problem with wifi at all, but it is neither recommended nor supported by Linden Lab.

3. Turn off other programs that may be running in the background but requiring memory or disk access.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone, after resestting my modem its loading a bit faster.

But just to be safe heres the info on my help / about menu item

Firestorm 6.3.2 (58052) Sep 27 2019 22:41:52 (64bit) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (2496 MHz)
Memory: 16254 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 18362.720)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1060/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 26.21.14.3153
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 431.53

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.25.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.7
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.00.03
Dullahan: 1.1.1320 / CEF: 3.3626.1895.g7001d56 / Chromium: 72.0.3626.121
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Vintage (Classic)
Window size: 1920x1017 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 1000 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: High (5/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 2048 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2020-3-20T16:58:37 
Built with MSVC version 1800
March 21 2020 05:15:29 SLT

You have a good machine with plenty of memory and a good graphics card.  Your draw distance, LOD factor, and maximum bandwidth setting are quite reasonable, and your quality setting isn't overly ambitious. I suspect that there's not much more you can do to boost performance other than perhaps upgrading (replacing) your modem and router and investigating other Internet options with your ISP.  I've found that I need to replace modems and routers every three or four years, even if they still seem to be working fine.  Equipment ages and newer models often provide better service. As I suggested earlier, getting off of wifi may help too. There's less opportunity for interference and signal loss with a cable connection.

• Like 1

I observed something today: while on my desktop Mac, objects and textures often do not completely rezz, resp. it takes a very long time, today I tried logging in with a new Macbook I just bought. While the overall framerate wasn't very diffferent, the rezzing was really fast and complete. BTW: the desptop is connected via a LAN cable, while the Macbook uses WLAN (Wifi). Both have a similar amount of memory. So what's really the difference? It's not the router, it's not Wifi vs. LAN, it's not a much better graphics card... there seems to be something in the configuration of my desktop, that stops it from finishing the rezzing in time. Of course I also tried to delete cache and all that, but that never made a difference. What is it??? Perhaps it's the graphic card itself. The Macbook has a 750 NVIDIA, whlile the desktop only has its inbuilt intel graphics.

9 hours ago, Moni Duettmann said:

I observed something today: while on my desktop Mac, objects and textures often do not completely rezz, resp. it takes a very long time, today I tried logging in with a new Macbook I just bought. While the overall framerate wasn't very diffferent, the rezzing was really fast and complete. BTW: the desptop is connected via a LAN cable, while the Macbook uses WLAN (Wifi). Both have a similar amount of memory. So what's really the difference? It's not the router, it's not Wifi vs. LAN, it's not a much better graphics card... there seems to be something in the configuration of my desktop, that stops it from finishing the rezzing in time. Of course I also tried to delete cache and all that, but that never made a difference. What is it??? Perhaps it's the graphic card itself. The Macbook has a 750 NVIDIA, whlile the desktop only has its inbuilt intel graphics.

It's the graphics card.  SL doesn't play well with integrated cards.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3

Rowan's probably right. Is your desktop computer able to accept an add-on PCI-e graphics card? It would be an interesting experiment to add, say, an Nvidia GeForce 980 or 2070, something in that range, and see what improvement you get.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.