The Alpha Grid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had an Idea of a Alpha Grid for premium plus members as a perk.

A. Alpha Grid would require a Special Viewer

B. Signup with P+ as a really desired perk for creators to stay in the know on new creation tools for SL

C. It would be used to test different types of game engine updates for SL, New Scripting API Language, preparing for a modern update while keeping residents part of that.

D. It would be a place to see what will break and what can be Ported into the updated SL while keeping the Beta Grid as a proofing platform.

Just an Idea on a way of LL showing us how committed they are to SL in the future, by letting residents help build the foundation of that brave new world, like they did in the beginning.

Any thoughts on that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know if building the future should be put behind a paywall. That's more like punishing creators. 

New game updates are less stable than the final released versions. No one will pay to be in the buggy version of SL. 

I like that you have new ideas but it's time to go back to the drawing board.

• Like 1

Names of SL Grids that have appeared in the Grid Selector over the years:

Agni, Aditi, Aruna, Bharati, Chandra, Damballah, Danu, Durga, Ganga, Mitra, Mohini, Nandi, Parvati, Radha, Ravi, Siva, Shakti, Skanda, Soma, Uma, Vaak, Yami

Did I miss any?

Some ancient history there.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I don't know if building the future should be put behind a paywall. That's more like punishing creators. 

New game updates are less stable than the final released versions. No one will pay to be in the buggy version of SL. 

I like that you have new ideas but it's time to go back to the drawing board.

I'm not unhappy with the beta grid as it functions .. Linden's mess with regions, we mess with uploads, we all test new shiny.

The grid needs to be more compact and not a mirror of bits of mainland - Like a dense island with meaningful region names, so it's easy to see from the world map what we can do there, and a portal hub that lists all the locations. 

And resync avatars when and as they log on (with a flat 10K testing balance that resets on login), not everyone every few months/years. I wouldn't mind if that adds 30 secs to login .. just to have current in progress stuff and not have to recreate.

• Like 1

Yes, some way to find out what regions are up on the beta grid would help. Right now. Animesh 1 is offline, Hippotropolis is offline, most of the world map is water, brown offline, or inaccessible to non-Lindens, and everybody is being landed in the middle of a planter in the Dore welcome area. Mesh Sandbox 1 is still up, so you can test mesh uploads.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 8:29 AM, Shansi Kenin said:

I had an Idea of a Alpha Grid for premium plus members as a perk.

A. Alpha Grid would require a Special Viewer

B. Signup with P+ as a really desired perk for creators to stay in the know on new creation tools for SL

C. It would be used to test different types of game engine updates for SL, New Scripting API Language, preparing for a modern update while keeping residents part of that.

D. It would be a place to see what will break and what can be Ported into the updated SL while keeping the Beta Grid as a proofing platform.

Just an Idea on a way of LL showing us how committed they are to SL in the future, by letting residents help build the foundation of that brave new world, like they did in the beginning.

Any thoughts on that?

Sorry, I could've been more descriptive 🙃

"C. It would be used to test different types of Game Engines/New Render Engines  ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ for SL, New Scripting API Language like C#,Java,Python,Ruby and Testing updated creation tools for inworld creators ."

I agree you would not need to be premium + the Beta Grid would then be used as a middle proofing platform to prepare the grid for the migration like inventory, viewer breakage

Alpha Grid would be the new Foundation  , Beta Grid would be Proofing the transition of the foundation, Omega Grid would be main grid for target migration and results being a defacto SL2.0 under the hood

Silly Thoughts i guess😏

Edited by Shansi Kenin
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.