SL MARKETPLACE IS A JOKE

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Anything you type in search tab it NEVER finds the thing you look for, there is no category for mesh body or mesh head, finding anything is always a huge pain in the A. there is 16754 categories that say "avatar-something" whitch one has mesh body and head??? ALSO WTF WITH THE DEMO SPAM? why do i have to paste THIS* evry time i search for something?

* NOT DEMO NOT Demo NOT demo
NOT _DEMO NOT _Demo NOT _demo
NOT DEMO_ NOT Demo_ NOT demo_
NOT D  NOT E NOT M NOT O 
NOT *D*E*M*O* NOT *DEMO* NOT D*E*M*O

• Like 1

Most avatar parts like heads and bodies (if they are on the MP at all) can be found under...

Avatar Components > Avatar Skin and Shape Combinations > And from there search whatever you want or select further (female for example are under female avatar bases, I think)

I don't think all mesh bodies are on the MP-for instance I don't think Maitreya has put that on the MP (or has it since I bought mine? someone will correct me). You may have to go inworld to find others too, but they're super easy to find (mostly...I'll reserve a place to mumble under my breathe about one nauseating store experience...) Maitreya is really easy-or was when I got mine....walk in, walk straight ahead and it was off to the side just a smidge, but easily seen from the doorway, and demo was right there too. I don't know if they've changed it, I'm not inworld.

Demos are a crapshoot that LL screwed up from the word go, and hasn't fixed (nor, does it seem, they intend to-apparently it's "working as intended"). We have been asking for YEARS to make the demo a drop down from the actual product page(and color/type variants too,) OR it's own category with subcategories(more complex, but still the code is already in places...but I digress, no one, especially LL,  likes my "they're breaking the MP" rants, lol) ..but alas..no dice. That's 100% on them not on creators (though it IS on merchants that circumvent those qualifiers, but, that's also neither here nor there). The fact that we can exclude them is not a good compromise, though plenty of folks think it is, it's not, never was, never will be. We're all stuck seeing it. Setting the initial search value (left side) to over $1L can weed out most demos, but not all, and ANYONE that charges more than $1L for a demo (and I say $1L only because you can't gift $0L things) is probably a money grab (albeit it a not well thought out one) and not worth your effort or lindens. 

DEMOs can be good, when implemented properly-LL is very, very bad at that implementation on the MP. I love demos-I mean, when/if I ever shop(for clothing maybe once every couple years, but I demo other stuff more frequently). They can help folks make purchases easier by ensuring the product works for them.

The MP can be frustrating, no one understands this better than merchants. But some things..we're all stuck with if we want to use it. 

Edited by Tari Landar

38 minutes ago, JulaMacArthur said:

Anything you type in search tab it NEVER finds the thing you look for, there is no category for mesh body or mesh head, finding anything is always a huge pain in the A. there is 16754 categories that say "avatar-something" whitch one has mesh body and head??? ALSO WTF WITH THE DEMO SPAM? why do i have to paste THIS* evry time i search for something?

* NOT DEMO NOT Demo NOT demo
NOT _DEMO NOT _Demo NOT _demo
NOT DEMO_ NOT Demo_ NOT demo_
NOT D  NOT E NOT M NOT O 
NOT *D*E*M*O* NOT *DEMO* NOT D*E*M*O

Yes, Marketplace needs more categories.  It's just as frustrating for sellers as it is for buyers.

Off the top of my head, I'd like a category for china (dishes) and curly hair.

Though people put items in wrong categories all the time.   Like non full perm items in the full perm section.

To try to avoid demos, type in the price category 2 to whatever top price you think you would pay because a lot of creators charge 1 linden for demos (not me though...never) I think that is ridiculous to charge for a demo.

I do not know which category to direct you for mesh body or mesh head.  

Edit:  Tari, Lindal and I posted at the same time...so redundant info there about putting a value greater than 1 linden.

Edited by FairreLilette

• Moderators

Greetings All!

New categories are added to the Marketplace every once in a while, although it has been a while since the last round.  Perhaps start a new Thread in the Merchants Forum section where everyone can add their suggestions for new categories so that the Marketplace Team will see the requests and see the demand?

Zero L$ items cannot be sent as a Gift. Many merchants set their Demo's at 1L$ so that they can be sent as a gift. At one time, although I do not personally know if it is still true, Zero L$ items didn't log the sales on the Merchants Sales Log, so setting the price of Demo's to 1L$ also helped the Merchant track how many times the Demo's had been purchased. 

There isn't a specific category, or set of categories, for Mesh products except in the Builders section.  There weren't separate categories for Sculpted items when they were originally released, either, again, except in the Builders section. 

Currently, the most appropriate place for a Mesh Body is the one of the appropriate Avatar categories, depending on how complete the Mesh Body is.  If it is just the body itself (or a Body and Head) it should be in the Shapes category. If it is a Body and Skin Applier, it should be in the Avatar Bases category.  If it is a fully complete Mesh Avatar (with or without a head), that has a body, skin, and clothing, it should be in the Complete Avatars Category.  

If you are looking specifically for a Male Mesh Body, go to the Male Shapes subcategory first, then enter Mesh as the Keyword to search for.  If you wish to eliminate Demo's, after doing the search for Mesh in the category, set the minimum price using the price options on the left by entering the minimum price and then hit the enter key on your keyboard. If you wish to eliminate 99% of all Demo items, set the price to 2. This will eliminate all Zero and 1L$ demo's.

The items can be further sorted using the Sort by option to see the Newest, Oldest, Best Selling, Highest, Lowest Price, etc. 

If the sellers themselves are complying with the Marketplace Listing Guidelines (no keyword spam, correct category for their listings, etc.), then you should have a better than 90% result on your search return. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

Zero L$ items cannot be sent as a Gift. Many merchants set their Demo's at 1L$ so that they can be sent as a gift. At one time, although I do not personally know if it is still true, Zero L$ items didn't log the sales on the Merchants Sales Log, so setting the price of Demo's to 1L$ also helped the Merchant track how many times the Demo's had been purchased.

As far as Zero Linden items, I wanted to get the info to you that yes they are logged both from Marketplace and inworld as well in Account > L Transaction History.  There it shows all zero linden purchases.  Zero linden items do go through as a purchase and are recorded.  

So, then it's only purpose to set an item at 1 Linden (currently) is for gift purposes.

Maybe some sellers should be sent a notice for this and may want to change their demo pricing back to 0 because a lot of people over-ride the 1 L demos as you can see from this thread.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Demos are usually no mod so I usually tick the little mod box. I make liberal use of the copy/mod/tran check boxes.

Oh...you know what though... even though I think this is useful at times...there is no way for the CONTENTS reader to read the contents inside any box used on Marketplace.  Meaning if items are put in a box.  Even copy and modify items, if the box is copy only, the listing is going to read the box only and read it as copy only because that is the permission for the box NOT the item.

This sounds like a riddle or something.  Hope anyone reading this understands what I am saying here...any boxed items will read the permissions of the box only not what's inside the box.   You need to read the DETAILS from each seller for that.  

HELPFUL HINT to anyone:  Check all hairs because a lot of hairs are copy and modify and you can tint them but because they may contain scripts which are no modify, they will read no modify in the Marketplace contents and in your inventory.  Any items with no modify scripts will read as no modify.  The object is modify; the scripts are what is no modify.  Hope that helps because I see a lot of people buy fatpacks of hair when sometimes all you need to do is buy white or blonde and then tint for other colors because the hair IS actually modify but few seem to read the details.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Oh...you know what though... even though I think this is useful at times...there is no way for the CONTENTS reader to read the contents inside any box used on Marketplace.  Meaning if items are put in a box.  Even copy and modify items, if the box is copy only, the listing is going to read the box only and read it as copy only because that is the permission for the box NOT the item.

This sounds like a riddle or something.  Hope anyone reading this understands what I am saying here...any boxed items will read the permissions of the box only not what's inside the box.   You need to read the DETAILS from each seller for that.  

HELPFUL HINT to anyone:  Check all hairs because a lot of hairs are copy and modify and you can tint them but because they may contain scripts which are no modify, they will read no modify in the Marketplace contents and in your inventory.  Any items with no modify scripts will read as no modify.  The object is modify; the scripts are what is no modify.  Hope that helps because I see a lot of people buy fatpacks of hair when sometimes all you need to do is buy white or blonde and then tint for other colors because the hair IS actually modify but few seem to read the details.  

I have bought boxed things that the creator did properly select the permissions on the MP for. When these are properly selected it should (key word) reflect what is in the box. The below is for a full perm item.

image.png.b708260d3b8f2a3b4d3e910d0943f139.png

Granted, not everyone uses those settings like they were meant to be used. And like you said people do need to read but even so, the creator doesn't always provide the information. Could just be oversight or it could be laziness or even lack of knowledge.

The real problem is MP was never set up like it should have been in the first place. It's far too "strict" with very little "wiggle room". MP has no real flexibility that I can see.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I have bought boxed things that the creator did properly select the permissions on the MP for. When these are properly selected it should (key word) reflect what is in the box. The below is for a full perm item.

image.png.b708260d3b8f2a3b4d3e910d0943f139.png

Granted, not everyone uses those settings like they were meant to be used. And like you said people do need to read but even so, the creator doesn't always provide the information. Could just be oversight or it could be laziness or even lack of knowledge.

The real problem is MP was never set up like it should have been in the first place. It's far too "strict" with very little "wiggle room". MP has no real flexibility that I can see.

Yeah, it is important to read the DETAILS.  I often include READ DETAILS in my titles or PLEASE READ DETAILS for ALL INFO in my pictures.

But, see the bottom photos of this hair...look at the Contents and how the Contents reader is reading the hair as copy only and how it is reading other items.  This particular seller does not box her items and neither do I.  That's why I say PLEASE READ DETAILS in photos and such.  And then in the details by the same seller it says 'Hair is Modify, and even says you can 'tint'.  See even when an object is sitting idle in your inventory and has no modify scripts in it, the object will read copy only because of the no modify scripts objects often contain.  It's the same if it's a mod/transfer item with no modify scripts, it will read as transfer only.  I gather this is why items were put in boxes to begin with to end the confusion somewhat.  But, I personally would prefer people see my contents and read my details than put things in a box hidden.  However, my copy/modify items will read copy only too if they contain no modify scripts.  All objects will.   

Screenshot (15).png

Screenshot (14).png

Edited by FairreLilette

32 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Yeah, it is important to read the DETAILS.  I often include READ DETAILS in my titles or PLEASE READ DETAILS for ALL INFO in my pictures.

But, see the bottom photos of this hair...look at the Contents and how the Contents reader is reading the hair as copy only and how it is reading other items.  This particular seller does not box her items and neither do I.  That's why I say PLEASE READ DETAILS in photos and such.  And then in the details by the same seller it says 'Hair is Modify, and even says you can 'tint'.  See even when an object is sitting idle in your inventory and has no modify scripts in it, the object will read copy only because of the no modify scripts objects often contain.  It's the same if it's a mod/transfer item with no modify scripts, it will read as transfer only.  I gather this is why items were put in boxes to begin with to end the confusion somewhat.  But, I personally would prefer people see my contents and read my details than put things in a box hidden.  However, my copy/modify items will read copy only too if they contain no modify scripts.  All objects will.   

If the permissions for the hair itself are set to mod then why not reflect that in the area I posted the image of? That is what is being paid for, the hair itself, the rest are just necessary items that need to be included and may or may not be reflected in the price. The box itself could be full perms but like you said the items in it are what shows up when you look at it in inventory, not the perms of the box itself.

That's just how I've always looked at it. YMMV, of course.

29 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

If the permissions for the hair itself are set to mod then why not reflect that in the area I posted the image of? That is what is being paid for, the hair itself, the rest are just necessary items that need to be included and may or may not be reflected in the price. The box itself could be full perms but like you said the items in it are what shows up when you look at it in inventory, not the perms of the box itself.

That's just how I've always looked at it. YMMV, of course.

I know it's confusing a lot and I mean a lot...but the reasons are mostly because there may be several items in a box which vary in permissions so the seller may choose to cross out the copy/modify and transfer areas altogether and check See Description.

For example, this seller below crossed everything out.  Since there is automatic redelivery now, the seller should update the listings to read copy and see description because if a seller doesn't check  AT LEAST COPY there is no automatic redelivery.  That is why you see no automatic redelivery listed for the item below because the seller needs to check at least copy and perhaps plus see description.  It is a rather confusing system and could use an overhaul.  To what, I don't know.  

I updated my listings so they can have automatic redelivery now.  I still need to give my listings a once-over again to make sure all are set for automatic redelivery because I found one a couple of weeks ago which I did not update.

As far as me, I included a lot of items for one purchase price in many of my listings.  Some of the artwork I do is copy only because it cannot be resized...so how can I have copy/modify checked if the purchase contains an item which is copy only along with a lot of copy/mod items?  

The main reason for problems to know how to list is because SL doesn't come with any instructions.  It's a lot of learn but automatic redelivery is important.  Wish there was an easier way to update this but as it stands now it has to be done listing by listing manually.      

Screenshot (17) - Copy.png

Edited by FairreLilette

6 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I know it's confusing a lot and I mean a lot...but the reasons are mostly because there may be several items in a box which vary in permissions so the seller may choose to cross out the copy/modify and transfer areas altogether and check See Description.

For example, this seller below crossed everything out.  Since there is automatic redelivery now, the seller should update the listings to read copy and see description because if a seller doesn't check  AT LEAST COPY there is no automatic redelivery.  That is why you see no automatic redelivery listed for the item below because the seller needs to check at least copy and perhaps plus see description.  It is a rather confusing system and could use an overhaul.  To what, I don't know.  

I updated my listings so they can have automatic redelivery now.  I still need to give my listings a once-over again to make sure all are set for automatic redelivery because I found one a couple of weeks ago which I did not update.

It's because SL doesn't come with any instructions.  It's a lot of learn.     

Screenshot (17) - Copy.png

If you are aiming this directly at me and not for the benefit of others, you're preaching to the choir.

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

If you are aiming this directly at me and not for the benefit of others, you're preaching to the choir.

No, most is just general information but I am also trying to answer your question below:

"If the permissions for the hair itself are set to mod then why not reflect that in the area I posted the image of?" 

Just now, FairreLilette said:

No, most is just general information but I am also trying to answer your question below:

"If the permissions for the hair itself are set to mod then why not reflect that in the area I posted the image of?" 

It was a rhetorical question, not meant to be answered. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

• Moderators

Greetings again!

A couple of things about Permissions on Marketplace Listings and Items. 

The Permissions on the right side of the listing are ones chosen by the seller themselves.  

The Contents Tab permissions are what the permissions are on the item that is linked to the Listing. 

IF the item is a box, then the Contents Tab shows the permissions on the box itself, but not the content IN the box.  This means if a seller boxes their content up, and the box is set to Copy, No Modify, No Transfer, but the items inside the box are Copy, Modify, Transfer, or any other combination, the permissions on the actual items is not shown.  The Marketplace does not report the permissions on the items inside the box itself.

If the seller has their items in a folder, then each of the items in the folder will have their Permissions shown in the Contents Tab, BUT the Marketplace shows the most restrictive permission on the item. 

This means if the seller is selling hair, or shoes, etc., with a resize script, and the resize script itself is set Copy, No Modify, No Transfer, but the hair itself is set to Copy, Modify, No Transfer, the hair will show as Copy only on the Contents Tab since the script inside the hair is No Modify. 

Why is the Marketplace able to "see" that a script inside something like Hair is no modify, but cannot "see" the permissions of items inside a box?  The box IS the item, regardless of what is actually IN the box, so the box permissions are what are used on the Contents Tab. 

With the folders, each item is actually seen, so the Marketplace shows the permissions on the item itself, keeping in mind that it will indicate the most restrictive permissions, so scripts that are No Modify will cause the item to show as No Modify, even if the item itself is Modify enabled, but it is the script inside the item that is No Modify.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Dakota Linden said:

The Permissions on the right side of the listing are ones chosen by the seller themselves.  

The Contents Tab permissions are what the permissions are on the item that is linked to the Listing. 

Thank you. That's what I was trying to say. IMO, creators should use the listing on the right side that are chosen by the seller to indicate what the main object permissions are set at. In other words set those permissions to whatever the item (not items) permissions actually are and let the system list everything else and those permissions on the Contents tab. That is how it's supposed to work, isn't it?

Say the main item is hair and it comes with different color balds and maybe an attachment or two. The hair is copy/mod/no trans but the balds and attachments are copy/no mod/no trans, you don't set the permissions on the right side for the balds and attachments, you set them for the hair itself which is copy/mod/no trans. Is this not correct @Dakota Linden?

• Moderators

Greetings Selene!

The seller can choose to report any combination of the permissions, they do not have to use only the main item itself when selecting the permissions.  That is why there is an option available to sellers that says "See Description" so that they can check that and then list the actual permissions in the Item Description itself along with any other items included in the listing. 

Having said that, yes, most sellers do choose the main item's permissions when they select the permissions themselves. 

If a seller has listed a Full Permission Mesh item and included a No Modify, No Transfer example, they will almost always choose Copy, Modify, Transfer (indicating the item is Full Perm) as the right side permissions. 

The No Modify, No Transfer example isn't the item being sold, and is included as a courtesy only by the seller, so it isn't required that they list the permissions on the example itself. 

They can include in the Item Listing Description that the example is included, and then list the example permissions, but it is not required for them to do so. 

When a listing is for a product that has multiple items with varying permissions on the included items, some sellers will choose Copy, Modify, Transfer and See Description, then list the permissions on the individual items in the Description. 

Just because the right side permissions show Copy, Modify, Transfer it doesn't mean that the item is Full Perm, but that items included in the listing have a combination of copy, modify, and transfer permissions on them.

The only time that there would be an "issue" with the permissions on a listing is when the permissions are clearly incorrect.  For example, if a seller has listed a Gacha item that is No Copy, No Modify, Transfer enabled, but they have chosen Copy, Modify, Transfer as the right side permissions. 

In some rare listings, the right side Permissions may indicate No Copy, No Modify, No Transfer, even if the item itself isn't No Copy, No Modify, No Transfer. 

This is the default when a new listing is created,  none of the Permissions options are selected, and seeing no permissions on an item listing can mean that the seller didn't select the Permissions when they created the Product Listing, and just skipped that section.  This is where the Contents tab can show what the permissions are on the item/s, if they are in folders and not a box. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Dakota Linden said:

The seller can choose to report any combination of the permissions, they do not have to use only the main item itself when selecting the permissions.

I understood that a long time ago. lol I mainly was hoping to get confirmation on the general use of the permissions on the right side which you have given me so thank you!

20 minutes ago, Dakota Linden said:

Having said that, yes, most sellers do choose the main item's permissions when they select the permissions themselves. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.