What scripted technologies really need updating or development?

Portia Rembrandt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dear SqL Friends,

What LSL scripted technologies would you like to see developed or improved? I want to work on something that will be really helpful to residents, creators or merchants. Surely some of the scripts in use were developed a long time ago and could use updating? Integration with iOS? Inter-world communication? Give me something really challenging.

Mac

6 hours ago, Portia Rembrandt said:

Give me something really challenging.

From the example, it seems you're looking for a "puzzle" sort of challenge, so this probably won't appeal, but I think the greatest practical need right now is a fully compatible re-work of the open source AVsitter system to dramatically shrink the script count in furniture. Now, AVsitter is far from the worst offender even in the scripted sitting space, but it is the most ubiquitous, so a streamlining here would (eventually) make a real difference to grid performance.

There are many ways this problem can be tackled technically (i.e., there are some fun "puzzles"), but the challenges are really practical, all about adoption, making the replacement as plug-and-play as possible while still achieving some real improvements.

(Obviously the result would have to be full perm open source, not just for license compliance but because no other options can ever be viable in this space.)

54 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

And, must use 1 texture for all tiles. 😉

For the tile faces, not too hard with texture atlasing. There are 36 unique tile faces in a mahjong set and a 6x6 grid of tile faces can be made at an acceptable resolution for something the size of a mahjong tile within the limits of SL texture sizes. Probably even allowing for normal mapping to give the faces the proper incised look. It's a pretty close to trivial task to write a function that converts whatever data structure you use to define an individual tile into a texture offset to put the right face on that tile. If you're going to be picky and not permit the builder to skate on your one-texture requirement for the tiles sides and back and introduce a second small texture for that purpose that makes the numbers less neat as you'd need a partial 7th row for that, but you just make sure that your function to define offsets never overflows into that range.

• Like 1

I would really like to see HTTP on a prim work much better. There was a lot of work done on this years ago and having dynamic web pages as HUDs would be great. I have done a lot of work on this but those who worked on it before have gone on to other things and a lot of the media on  a prim scripts no longer work. I feel that this feature was a great idea and greatly reduces script resources needed on sims. Please feel free to contact me for more info. 

Nathan Zetkin

6 hours ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

For the tile faces, not too hard with texture atlasing. There are 36 unique tile faces in a mahjong set and a 6x6 grid of tile faces can be made at an acceptable resolution for something the size of a mahjong tile within the limits of SL texture sizes.

The challenge is to keep it under LI=9. Mahjong has 144 tiles. If you use a single face for 2 tiles, you'll need 37 x 37 (36 unique tiles + 1 absent tile) = 1369 double-tile combinations. If you can draw 36 unique Mahjong tiles on a 27 x 13 pixel grid each, then that can get away with a single 1024 x 1024 texture. The minimum LI would be 5.

(I just dug around in my old files. Mahjong has 42 unique tiles.)

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

45 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

The challenge is to keep it under LI=9. Mahjong has 144 tiles. If you use a single face for 2 tiles, you'll need 37 x 37 (36 unique tiles + 1 absent tile) = 1369 double-tile combinations. If you can draw 36 unique Mahjong tiles on a 27 x 13 pixel grid each, then that can get away with a single 1024 x 1024 texture. The minimum LI would be 5.

(I just dug around in my old files. Mahjong has 42 unique tiles.)

you're right, of course, because there are 8 tiles that are unique and not in sets of 4.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.