The Allure Of Campers & Camping - A Slightly Philosophical Thread

Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Dyna Mole said:

Is that a challenge?  😈

DO IT!

Especially since I just searched the MP and came up with not one single Daddy Long Legs spider. I would like some sort of trip-wire spawner thingie that will send a cloud of Daddy Long Legs spiders scurrying towards anyone who steps foot on my parcel. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think all the trailers should come with “daddy long legs” spiders!

We used to play with those little guys and let them crawl all over our hands & arms all the time when I was little, visiting my grandparents' cabin down at the lake.  I've outgrown that phase for sure.  While I can tolerate seeing them, I don't want them in my house and the idea of them crawling on me really grosses me out.

• Like 2

Kids tolerate a lot of things that adults have learned to think of as gross and icky.  I remember liking to sleep in the barn on a hot summer night, at least partly because the bats would keep the mosquitoes under control. At some point I learned that bats are scary (or maybe I learned that breathing dry bat dung can do weird things to your lungs).  I haven't slept in a barn for more than 50 years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

My partner's cousin lives near Toronto and he used to have a cottage on Georgian Bay, in Woods Bay close to Mactier.  We went up there to stay one summer and it was absolutely idyllic. A whole week doing nothing but taking the boat out, exploring the "Thousand Islands" and fishing. Oh wait, there was also that party. Somehow only I could go out into the middle of nowhere and end up getting invited to a party of about fifty complete strangers who all treated me and my partner like we were best friends.

Canadians are awesome.

This is a really lovely story. Thank you for sharing it!

I don't know Georgian Bay well, but I've vacationed a couple of times as an adult in the sleepy little former-fishing village of Southampton, on Lake Huron just south of the Bruce Peninsula. Maybe 140kms or so from MacTier, as the crow flies?

I'm not sure all Canadians are awesome (I know a few you can have, if you want them, except you wouldn't), but I've always found that the people of Northern Ontario, although a tad conservative for my taste, are really welcoming and warm. And there is this sort of odd but magical camaraderie that can develop, too, within the little pop-up communities that form during the height of "cottage" season. That really can make a nice experience pretty idyllic.

When I was young, I loved showing my friends things that were gross and icky.

As you've noticed, I still do.

Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome is serious business and I've endeavored to keep mice, bats, and squirrels out of my barn, as I use it for entertaining. I may have the only barn in Wisconsin with a central vacuum*.

*ETA: No, that couldn't be. There must be industrial versions for farm use.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

9 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

When I was young, I loved showing my friends things that were gross and icky.

As you've noticed, I still do.

Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome is serious business and I've endeavored to keep mice, bats, and squirrels out of my barn, as I use it for entertaining. I may have the only barn in Wisconsin with a central vacuum*.

*ETA: No, that couldn't be. There must be industrial versions for farm use.

Avoid bird poop too..multiple diseases including some that lead to blindness.. I myself contracted histoplasmosis when very young.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

On 9/23/2019 at 12:09 PM, Gregorian Chant said:
On 9/23/2019 at 10:17 AM, Luna Bliss said:

lol well I think that spider you posted caused such anxiety I could not explain the experience clearly.

Sorry about that. :(

No problem, I thought the funny meaning more than made up for my anxiety over seeing that creepy looking spider! Plus, look at the 'spider exploration' it evoked :)

Still looking at my headset...tapping my fingers.

On 9/23/2019 at 12:09 PM, Gregorian Chant said:

There's something to be said for minimalist living. Capitalism has drilled into people's heads with the idea of "whoever dies with the most stuff wins."  Those who let their material possessions define them tend to lose touch with themselves. People don't realize half the stress comes from spending too much time and money on maintaining their tchotchkes.  I know I get a sense of relief when I chucked the stuff that sat untouched for months off to Goodwill. Less things to worry about cleaning or stub my toe against.

So true, and I'm feeling such a need to downsize or at least get rid of junk, though most would see my house as pretty spacious as I hate clutter. I freak out after watching an episode of Hoarders, and it causes me to tuck away those few clutter items sitting in the corner..lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.