Airport runway lights - 256 meters mesh

Sunbleached

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello! there is a need to make the airport runway, the lighting to it, with the possibility to on/off, including some effects such as blinking. and for this i need a script. but so far it has not come to it, since an interesting problem has emerged. the length of the runway is 256 meters. uploadable objects have a maximum of 64 meters in length, linking a few 64 meter objects together does not work, because the objects are too far away. How do they usually act in such a situation?

Edited by Sunbleached

It's might also be worth noting that if you link together two prims 64 meters long, you can create a linkset with a total length of about 117.9 meters if you move the links as far apart as possible. So you could create the whole runway in 3 equal sections of ~85.3 meters, or by just using a megaprim assuming you can find one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Nonono you don't need to make them talk to eachothers when you can synchronise them on unix time.

As far as I understand it should blink in different patterns - so they might need to occasionally chat - but even then doing the sync with unix time might be a good idea.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fionalein said:

As far as I understand it should blink in different patterns - so they might need to occasionally chat - but even then doing the sync with unix time might be a good idea.

Probably do the approach lights as a texture animation.

"Sequenced flashing lights flash in sequence toward the threshold at a rate of twice per second." - FAA

If you make an approach light object in Blender, you can make the lights a separate material, set up the UV mapping in order, and use a texture animation to sweep a full-bright area over all the light materials. No script overhead when it's running.

Anything else you have to change is slow - on/off, taxiway selection, etc. So scripts and messages can handle that.

Quick reference to the FAA standards for runway markings. Good diagrams.

https://www.faa.gov/airports/southern/airport_safety/part139_cert/media/aso-airfield-standards-quick-reference.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Yeah but that's fine, if you sync everything on the unix time you can have 1 part do a certain thing every even beats and another do one every odd beat, and so on.

And even if it's more complex, have everything starting on the same unix beat should keep everything in sync, for example:

• Part 1: Blink1, Blink 2
  • Part 2: Sleep, Sleep, Blink3, Blink4
  • Part 3: Sleep, Sleep, Sleep, Sleep, Blink5, Blink6
Edited by Kyrah Abattoir
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, animats said:

Probably do the approach lights as a texture animation.

"Sequenced flashing lights flash in sequence toward the threshold at a rate of twice per second." - FAA

If you make an approach light object in Blender, you can make the lights a separate material, set up the UV mapping in order, and use a texture animation to sweep a full-bright area over all the light materials. No script overhead when it's running.

Anything else you have to change is slow - on/off, taxiway selection, etc. So scripts and messages can handle that.

Quick reference to the FAA standards for runway markings. Good diagrams.

https://www.faa.gov/airports/southern/airport_safety/part139_cert/media/aso-airfield-standards-quick-reference.pdf

Texture animations and placement are things many of us don't think about enough. I was recently building a control panel for a device with dynamic buttons - the labels would change, they would light up in different colors etc - and like a complete idiot I started by making a texture set for each button state, with the resulting lag and texture load delays on each state change! One extreme facepalm later, the textures for each state of each button were stitched together into an atlas and only the offsets changed...

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.