Problem with house rental :-(

Lluciiole

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello 🙂

A week ago, I paid for renting a house on a sim. Since the Lindens' deposit to the owner (via hippoRENT Rental Box) I have not received any confirmation, but the ''hippoRENT Rental Box'' indicates that I am a tenant of the house and that I have a week left (having paid for 2 weeks).

However, I did not get the rights to the house and the objects of the old tenants are still there...

I tried twice to join the owner (IM and Notecard)..... no news !!  no response from her !!  So I can not use my new home as I would like... and I still pay for the rental !  😞 

So, is there another option, either to join the owner in another way, or for a refund of the rental ??

I am disappointed in the situation... this is not the first time I rent houses, and it was always OK!  🙂

Thank you for your experiences and/or information sharing if you have some on this topic! ;-))

Lluciiole ☘

Edited by Lluciiole

15 minutes ago, Lluciiole said:

So, is there another option, either to join the owner in another way, or for a refund of the rental ??

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do except hope you can get in touch with the owner.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lluciiole said:

I tried twice to join the owner (IM and Notecard)..... no news !!  no response from her !!  So I can not use my new home as I would like... and I still pay for the rental !  😞 

I'm afraid that you can't get a refund, but if I were you, I would just stop paying rent and leave. I hope the rent wasn't very much.

After all, the Hippo systems (rent boxes, vendors, etc.) are no longer available or supported in SL, so the chances of renting with that landlady going well are very slim to begin with.

It's better you find out now that the landlady is no good than after months of paying rent, I wish you good luck finding a better home with a good landlord/landlady. I think you are better off this way.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Lluciiole said:

Hello 🙂

A week ago, I paid for renting a house on a sim. Since the Lindens' deposit to the owner (via hippoRENT Rental Box) I have not received any confirmation, but the ''hippoRENT Rental Box'' indicates that I am a tenant of the house and that I have a week left (having paid for 2 weeks).

However, I did not get the rights to the house and the objects of the old tenants are still there...

I am disappointed in the situation... this is not the first time I rent houses, and it was always OK!  🙂

Thank you for your experiences and/or information sharing if you have some on this topic! ;-))

Lluciiole ☘

This is a "live-and-learn" moment. Fortunately, you were smart and didn't pay more than a couple of weeks, so (I will presume) your loss is minimal. Here are some tips to consider while moving forward:

• Before renting (paying any rental box) for a place, contact the owner or manager first, perhaps ask if there is a discount if you rent for a longer period, such as a month. The purpose isn't to get a discount, but rather to see how responsive the owner or manager is to your contact attempt, and also how polite (or not) their personality is to your question.
  • Never rent more than the minimum, even if there is a discount or "free week" - never rent more than one week to begin. If the minimum is two weeks, put it on a list and keep shopping around. If the minimum is a month, run, fly, TP as far away as you can and put that place on your "never, ever, ever" list.
  • If there are other renters present, IM them and politely ask them if it's okay to ask about the place, the owners or manager, and what their experience with it is.

It's a lot like shopping for an apartment or rental home in real life: shop around, consider the neighborhood, talk to neighbors, talk to the manager, then the last consideration is the price and whether you start month-to-month or begin with a six-month lease (common in the U.S>, anyway). Do your research before you pay anything.

Edit to add; Then, if you are still there after paying weekly for more than four weeks, you'll know whether it's a safe investment to do larger chunks at a time. :)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello Lluciiole,

I did IM you in world, if you need a prefab home I do know people who are reliable that offer this. If you would like to have your own island I can assist you with this so that you have property that you have complete control of.

You can contact me in world.

Count Burks

On 6/10/2019 at 3:12 PM, Lluciiole said:

Hello 🙂

Lluciiole ☘

Yes, what others have said: hippoRENT has been out of business for years.

I wonder how the script can still operate and take money. I guess that's possible.

On 6/12/2019 at 3:58 AM, Alyona Su said:
  • Before renting (paying any rental box) for a place, contact the owner or manager first

this is the best advice ever for anyone looking to rent

the time it takes for a landlord to answer a would-be tenant, is indicative of the amount of time that the landlord invests in their property. And that if we never get a response to our query about renting then we can assume that we will never get a response to any subsequent support query either

8 hours ago, Mollymews said:

this is the best advice ever for anyone looking to rent

the time it takes for a landlord to answer a would-be tenant, is indicative of the amount of time that the landlord invests in their property. And that if we never get a response to our query about renting then we can assume that we will never get a response to any subsequent support query either

Bear in mind though that there can be time differences, I remember when I was landlord (commercial and residential) several years ago that I had a tenant that seemed to expect an immediate answer at 3am my time.  Unless you are dealing with someone that has support staff located around the world - or that work night shifts - it’s never going to happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fortyniner Beck said:

Bear in mind though that there can be time differences, I remember when I was landlord (commercial and residential) several years ago that I had a tenant that seemed to expect an immediate answer at 3am my time.  Unless you are dealing with someone that has support staff located around the world - or that work night shifts - it’s never going to happen.

I put that disclaimer on information notecards when letting parcels ... in the hope that people actually read them. :D

18 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I put that disclaimer on information notecards when letting parcels ... in the hope that people actually read them. :D

That's something I used to (and still do on the areas that I have now) do - but as you say, it's in the hope that people actually read the information  and tenants notecards.  Sadly some don't.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 6:31 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

Yes, what others have said: hippoRENT has been out of business for years.

I wonder how the script can still operate and take money. I guess that's possible.

The boxes that were already there before their website went down still work perfectly normally, but if you try to rez a new one (if it is a web enabled one) it will not work. I've still got a few of them out and they are fine, so I haven't had to change them. The web site was a really good way of controlling them though, and it's a pity it fizzled out. I only had 100 of their boxes anyway, because I'd reached the limit and they wouldn't answer my support case asking for more.

To answer the OP's question, it's always a good idea to get recommendations from friends, or try to contact the land owner before renting, to see if they are still active in SL. If they aren't online every day, you may as well give them a miss, because there are plenty who are online every day.

• Like 1

Recently while trying to reduce numbers of scripts and script time on a sim, I was flying around and I found the item on that sim that was the highest script time item on the sim -- a hippo rental box.

I understand it had multiple scripts. But even the one showing was a huge script time eater.

On 6/23/2019 at 4:27 PM, Fortyniner Beck said:

This is a good reason to make rentals self service with an initial group role to join to immediately set prims and home so that the tenant doesn't queue up waiting.

If at any time they are unhappy with themselves in their self-service, they can fire themselves and refund -- which I think should be mandatory for any good landlord. Everyone should be able to refund for any reason for a small early cancellation fee.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.