You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1803 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know there are things in SL that when used may turn over control of your avi to someone else. I was given something and I am afraid to use it. However, it is something that could be very helpful to me if it is what the giver said it is. I don't know the giver though and don't feel like i can trust him. Can anyone help me?

12 minutes ago, MissBegotten said:

Can anyone help me?

To give you a recommendation, it would be easier for us to know, what its about.
But you gave the answer to yourself already by stating, you dont trust him. So delete it and tell us, what you need. :)

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
typo

difficult to advise when you don't say what is the thing that could be helpful to you. Perhaps if you say what the name of the thing is and what it is supposed to do according to the person who gave it to you. Then we can maybe tell you more about what to do

edit: what Resi said :)

if you don't trust the person then best to delete and forget.  You can still tell us what it is that you wanted though, and we may be able to point you at something similar that we know we can trust already

Edited by Mollymews

47 minutes ago, MissBegotten said:

I know there are things in SL that when used may turn over control of your avi to someone else. I was given something and I am afraid to use it. However, it is something that could be very helpful to me if it is what the giver said it is. I don't know the giver though and don't feel like i can trust him. Can anyone help me?

If it's a regular rlv device, you can always log off and switch off rlv in your viewer. That'll get you out of any regular rlv trap. Alternatively, if you're still able to teleport, go to a no-script area and remove the thing.

There was however a very rare more agressive variant that would also mess up your password and contact email address. I don't know the details and I don't think it still exists but I believe it only worked with some special viewer. All I know is that there was a discussion about it a while ago and that @Soft Linden told us LL knew about it and were willing to assist victims to recover their accounts. Better not fall into the trap though, so testing it out on an alt first seems like a good idea.

17 minutes ago, MissBegotten said:

haha think what you want about it. anything is better than me talking about it.

I'm afraid you already did. The "don't talk about the fight club" rule was originally just as much about not bragging about it as about keeping it secret. ;)

But don't worry, we won't tell. :)

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

given that you don't want to talk about it then if its not a RLV enabled viewer then its a copybot viewer yes

If shes using a copybot viewer I doubt she would be here asking about something that was given to her and if its safe to open.  Maybe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissBegotten said:

i'm involved in something like fight club. rule one is don't talk about fight club. what i've decide to do is create an alt and give it to him and see what happens.  but i am grateful for your input.

You are not allowed in any way to share your account (even its its just an alt) with another person. Dont do it.

2 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

You are not allowed in any way to share your account (even its its just an alt) with another person. Dont do it.

Shes going to give her alt the package the fight club guy gave her. Is how I read that. Not shes gona give a alt away.

I could be wrong.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ananoelle said:

Shes going to give her alt the package the fight club guy gave her. Is how I read that. Not shes gona give a alt away.

I could be wrong.

Right, i didnt think that far... If the alt is going to be a male, the sentence works for me.
Just hope for her, the suspicious addon has transfer rights :)

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
typo

12 minutes ago, ananoelle said:

If shes using a copybot viewer I doubt she would be here asking about something that was given to her and if its safe to open.  Maybe?

more than maybe.  Its  just that I don't get OPs like this

somebody gave me a thing. I am worried about what it will do to me. I can't tell you what it is. I don't trust the person who gave it to me. But I would like to have it anyways. Please help ?!

maybe it's a p****

Edited by Mollymews
maybe

1 minute ago, MissBegotten said:

i was hoping to learn how to figure out what it is by looking at what scripts it contains. but i guess no one posting so far is that knowledgeable 

:D

you want us to guess which one of the millions of scripted objects in SL you got from someone else

1 minute ago, MissBegotten said:

no. i wanted to learn what a dangerous script looked like.

the most dangerous script is one that asks us for debit permissions to our L$ account balance. We have to be super careful when we encounter these scripts and make sure that we fully trust the person who gave it to us

• Like 2

Just now, MissBegotten said:

i don't write scripts so i wouldn't know. i thought there may be something i could look for. sorry if i am uninformed.

you did the right thing by testing it with an alt account. Better to be safe than sorry :)

• Like 2

Just now, MissBegotten said:

i don't write scripts so i wouldn't know. i thought there may be something i could look for. sorry if i am uninformed.

You are asking for help with leaving those you are asking help from,just clues..So it's hard to tell what it is or what you know,B'cause of fight club..hehehe

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1803 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.