You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, MissBegotten said:

no. i wanted to learn what a dangerous script looked like.

sort of like a notecard with unreadable code ...but good scripts look like that too...
You'll have to learn scripting to see what it can/do/is

It sounds as if it an object similar to the "Angels Elven Ring" that is used to detect nearby avatars who are playing the "Progeny" vampire game.  Progeny vampires must be within 3 meters of you to "bite" you, so if you can detect them, it's easy to stay out of their range.

I would rather have a ring that would let me get IN range.  In range of vampires using silly HUDs so I can drive a stake through their hearts, sure...but even better, to get in range of hawt vampires like @Gabriele Graves, for...um, other purposes.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MissBegotten said:

no. i wanted to learn what a dangerous script looked like.

You would almost certainly have to decipher almost the entire script to figure that out and that can be hard work even for an experienced scripter. Besides, if the script is no modify - and it usually is, you won't even be able to see the code.

So, what it is, is simply an identifier to help active players locate each other. That's perfectly normal and often neccessary for role play - nothing sinister about that.

Still, you did the right thing by testing it first if you weren't sure the script did what it claimed to do.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MissBegotten said:

i was hoping to learn how to figure out what it is by looking at what scripts it contains. but i guess no one posting so far is that knowledgeable 

You have to rez the object on the ground to be able to see what scripts it has in it IF it is mod. If the scripts are no mod then you won't be able to see what it is they do IF you are familiar with LSL.

Now what were you saying about no one being knowledgeable?

11 hours ago, Mollymews said:

the most dangerous script is one that asks us for debit permissions to our L$ account balance. We have to be super careful when we encounter these scripts and make sure that we fully trust the person who gave it to us

This is correct except for the part about fully trusting someone. Even if you do trust the person who gave you the object that is asking for payment permissions DO NOT GRANT THE PERMISSIONS. The ONLY time you do so is when it is a vendor that YOU rez out of YOUR inventory that YOU purchased from a reputable vendor creator.

11 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If it's a radar,you can pick those up anywhere..you can probably get one on the MP for next to free..

A radar will show all avatars in the sim,their names and how far away they are from you..

Or you could use the built in radar in FS and other TPVs. ;)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MissBegotten said:

it's more specific than a radar. it only identifies avatars involved in the game. more like an area search for avatars wearing a certain attachment.

Area search is also built in, in FS and other TPVs.

How's that for knowledge?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

You can resize the window.... and the columns. Just like any other window and columns. :P

Yea,but I'm used to the one I used to use from mystitool,where you just had this little tiny dot down in the bottom corner, and the names  were about the only thing showing.

20 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It sounds as if it an object similar to the "Angels Elven Ring" that is used to detect nearby avatars who are playing the "Progeny" vampire game.  Progeny vampires must be within 3 meters of you to "bite" you, so if you can detect them, it's easy to stay out of their range.

I would rather have a ring that would let me get IN range.  In range of vampires using silly HUDs so I can drive a stake through their hearts, sure...but even better, to get in range of hawt vampires like @Gabriele Graves, for...um, other purposes.

Be careful what you wish for...

KWcVEiwEzuiFFWAHdL2QvJx8t5xstD6his1HHoUT

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.