Network Maintenance

KarraSue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

That is exactly why I am waiting before logging back in after reading that logging in has been enabled. Best time to get sleep and login later today. 😊

I did wait a little while before logging in, and things went well the rest of the day, peak numbers close to normal, a couple of sims seemed to have a loading problem, and the original 13th-to-16th warning was closed. Had they got it finished? I maybe read too much into this message.

Completed - The maintenance has been completed and services have been restored. 

No. Further work late on Tuesday. No actual shutdown, and I was asleep anyway. They've finished, but the messaging is better.

Update - The scheduled maintenance for tonight has concluded. (Tuesday) There will be no more work done until tomorrow evening. (Wednesday) 

I maybe should have expected the Tuesday-night session, but "completed" feels wrong. It's too final.

• Haha 1

Just as a final word, THANKS to all the LL guys (a non-gender specific term, note) for the hard work and long hours catching all those pesky hamsters and getting their wheels running again! :x

I'd been wandering around thinking that I hadn't noticed much improvement when I realised that I'd set my draw distance over twice the normal while taking some photos, and things were rezzing really quite well (!)   At my usual settings things are just great, so thankyou.  Gliding for 30 mins and a dozen or so border crossings, loads of TPs today...NOT ONE disconnect!!

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 1

@Aishagain

No disconnects while sailing, either, but had a few detachments from the boat. What really impressed me was that I could always do something that used to fail 9 out of 10 times: teleport to the next sim by double clicking the mini map. Before, doing that would have ended in a disconnect after some time, but not anymore. So yes, I believe that some good work has been done, and for that I'm thankful to the LL team who did it and to those who decided it had to be done.
We'll see if this is a lasting condition — I'm hoping it is.

Well I for one, cannot see how anything has changed for the better, but it is probably just me.  

1) Land info no longer shows

2) Groups no longer show up

3) Objects no longer rez from inventory on owned land

4) Can no longer tp to other lands

5) Chat lag is so bad in public, must resort to private chats

@Dollar Garnet:

The issues you list there are all signs of either a modem/router-cache issue (turn it off fully for at least 2 minutes) or a poor internet connection (that's down to your ISP), not SL failures. I know of no-one else with such severe issues.

So while I sympathize, I suspect your problems begin at home not in SL.

One thing I have noticed for the past day or so, and that is spells of bad chatlag, usually lasting less than 30 seconds, but awkward to say the least.  That I suspect is down to network issue, but since my partner and I (we have different ISPs but we are both in the UK) suffer it at different times, I don't *think* it's a server issue.

Edited by Aishagain
spelling
  • Thanks 1

Last but not least, this monster project has gone off without a hitch and the increase in performance is noticeable if you are familiar with the data of the Statisticbar. Why the project manager April Linden, however, feels bad because of the failures is a mystery to me. The downtime was indisputably necessary to be able to carry out the project in a secure network environment and to ensure the security of all data. A huge praise and thanks to all involved in the project for this great achievement they have done in the last few days.

10 hours ago, Miller Thor said:

Last but not least, this monster project has gone off without a hitch and the increase in performance is noticeable if you are familiar with the data of the Statisticbar. Why the project manager April Linden, however, feels bad because of the failures is a mystery to me. The downtime was indisputably necessary to be able to carry out the project in a secure network environment and to ensure the security of all data. A huge praise and thanks to all involved in the project for this great achievement they have done in the last few days.

Miller, I think I slightly disagree with part of your response to the recent work and the above comments.  April's comment reflected the fact that the failures were widespread and (some) had been going on for a considerable time.  I would think THAT was the reason for her comment and to me at least, it was justifiable.

That the work was done, and done with considerable feedback in the forum from LL staff (Grumpity in particular) was commendable and I join with you in praising the staff.

Looking at my statistics panel on my homestead I have to say I see no great change, especially in the area of script performance (rezzing was not an issue before and is not now), but at a mainland sim I do security for, I see a substantial improvement in rezzing  though no great change in script performance.  I think the work has improved the performance on regions that had, in recent times, become highly stressed and unpleasant - Wirtz was a classic example.  This may have been the aim and as such was successful.  Perhaps on more lightly loaded regions, such as Woods of Heaven, my home, the improvement is more subtle.

So the result to my eyes is a bit of a "curate's egg", that is, good in parts. I also notice that the ten-day restart cycle is being assiduously followed now with resect to my homestead on Main Server at least. This had NOT been the case until the last two or three weeks.

One thing I think we agree on is that the communication by April was very comprehensive and for my part makes me feel a whole lot better about Linden Lab and their attitude to their customers (yes, customers, not simply users).  I pay for my access and that makes me a customer.

Edited by Aishagain
additional text and improving the flow (oh, and not being so negative!)

On 5/18/2019 at 6:17 AM, Aishagain said:

Looking at my statistics panel on my homestead I have to say I see no great change, especially in the area of script performance (rezzing was not an issue before and is not now), but at a mainland sim I do security for, I see a substantial improvement in rezzing  though no great change in script performance.  I think the work has improved the performance on regions that had, in recent times, become highly stressed and unpleasant - Wirtz was a classic example.  This may have been the aim and as such was successful.  Perhaps on more lightly loaded regions, such as Woods of Heaven, my home, the improvement is more subtle.

Script performance is not so much a network issue as it is a server issue. The router updates were not intended to address script run time performance. Several people have been talking with the Lindens at the Server-Scripting UG on Tuesdays about the Script % Run. Oz Linden has said they are looking into it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Quite so, Nal, and I wasn't implying that server work had been done (or at least I hadn't intended to give that impression).  My third paragraph was perhaps misleading in that regard.  The server-side script performance issue is indeed being given a lot of attention by LL now, and I was surprised and pleased to see Rider Linden on our homestead, having a look at our set-up.

I was relieved to be told it all "looked pretty reasonable" and that the low script-run % was not something he expected.  He did, however, vouchsafe that they had "some potential fixes" in the pipeline, so I guess we should wait and see what happens.  I, for one, am greatly encouraged by this.  :)

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.