Dear Vehicle Creators ...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1828 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since getting a New Linden Home, I have noticed somewhat of a trend. Most of the vehicles sound like their authors only point of reference was a second hand tale from a passing traveler, who in turn picked up the story while stopping to rest one night in a Himalayan bar, from some dude who both looked, and smelt like a fermented yak.

The sound made by this

Image result for circular saw

is not a good substitute for 

Image result for helicopter

https://freesound.org have a huge archive of audio, all under various permutations of the Creative Commons.

• Haha 5

The sound of the Martian ships opening in the original radio broadcast of War of the Worlds was a mason jar lid being unscrewed from the jar...

held inside of a toilet bowl.

The sound effects chief was Ora Daigle Nichols *.

Foley sound effects are a range of live sound effects originally developed for live broadcasts of radio drama in the early 1920s in various radio studios around the world. Because no effective recording method existed in those days, a sound effects person had to create all sounds for radio plays live.

*See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_March_of_Time_(radio_program)

Our eyes and ears don't always see and hear what we think we see and hear.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For what it's worth all sounds I make are a combination of self recording (cats, Bovington), generated clips via various OS programs and mangled voice overs by a group member. This is SL - my ears my imagination.

Oh but yes. Have hours of them new electric cars if you want.

A good sound on a vehicle is something that's important to me. I'm not saying they should be 'rip-roaringly snarly', just not a drone (not the flying thing). I've had a couple of cars that looked great, drove adequately, but annoyed the hell out of me with their engine sound. They rarely come out of my inventory.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1828 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.