Save my Creations from my Inventory to Computer

RoseannArabia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1920 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I want to export my creations that are 100% mine to my computer, how do I do that?  I'm not really understanding why this is a difficult thing since all the creations that I'm referring to are designed, created, and owned by me - shouldn't I have full access and digital rights to download it to my computer whenever I want and without feeling like I'm trying to steal my own creations?  :(

Edited by RoseannArabia
Typos
  • Like 1

Thank you Lindal, I will definitely check into that.  I'm really wanting to download my items because I lost them off my computer a long time ago and have no way to work with them now.  I don't want to have to recreate everything I've made from scratch and I can't edit them in SL or other virtual worlds.  Again, I will try that tool though because I do use a blank private world that allows me to upload all my content for free so I can try it before uploading it to SL.

Edited by RoseannArabia
ugh...typos

If your items are mesh (or all prim) you can download them to your computer via  a third party viewer (I use Firestorm). 

Choose COLLADA for mesh and then import into a new file. You may or may NOT be able to save the textures (depends if you still have them) but you should be able to save the mesh and the UV mapping.

If you item is a prim build choose "Backup" and it will save your item as a linkset of prims (the same texture comment applies).

I have used both methods and they works well. The prim builds were for Opensim. You just import a LINKSET to get them back.  

Good luck .

Opps. Forgot the graphic :D. 

image.thumb.png.97c593db8bc0c47aadcc55ed8694ea14.png

Edited by Chic Aeon

52 minutes ago, RoseannArabia said:

Chic, that did work.  In my version I have to rez inworld and choose save-as from the pie menu.  I'm still looking for the animation solution.  Thank you!

Not the version; you just have the pie menu enabled as a choice :D. Been that way for years and years and years.  Most third party viewers have the export option for mesh and prims.   

4 hours ago, RoseannArabia said:

Chic, that did work.  In my version I have to rez inworld and choose save-as from the pie menu.  I'm still looking for the animation solution.  Thank you!

If you created the animation  you'll be able to get the UUID of the animation.
You can download the animation from the CDN with http://asset-cdn.glb.agni.lindenlab.com/?animatn_id=UUID

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let's be totally clear in this thread, for readers just tuning in.  We are talking about saving content THAT YOU CREATED to your computer.  Exporting ANY other content, even if you purchased it, from another creator, is a violation of that creator's intellectual property rights.

The only kind of content that's created in world is prim builds, and (possibly) scripts and some textures (e.g. snapshots).  If you're the creator of a mesh object, an animation, or most textures, you already have that original content on your computer and should not need to worry about downloading the content from SL.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2

The creations I am referring to are primarily ones that I created on my computer and uploaded to SL.  However, my computer had to be recovered a long time ago and I lost all of that work.  As far as in-world creations from prims and images, those I did create inside of SL, are still my own work according to SL's TOS so long as I am not using other work derived from  other creators (including Linden Labs).  I also have mesh and animations that were created in-world using gadgets that creators have built to make 100% original works (not ones that change your name to the owner - that's illegal). 

With that being said, SL is a creative platform that provides 'tools' to make your own creations.  Similar to a graphic, 3D, animation or any other design software programs that you use to create with,  all creative work belongs to you.  You can use any program with creative tools to make illegal works of art (broadly used) that infringe on others rights.  The point being, if you use any creative works that you did not make entirely from scratch then they are not 100% your own.  If you make something that is entirely yours it belongs to you whether it was created inside SL or any other program.  SL is a platform for creating and should never be used for stealing.

So back to all the help I've received so far.  I did find out how to save my creations and download so that I can back them up, but not work with them on my computer.  I have the latest Firestorm viewer and it was as simple as loading the items in a box, right clicking while it is in-world to bring up the pie menu > click more > ..more > save as Collada (mesh) or Backup (everything else).  The only files that I can work with directly on my computer are the Collada files, but everything else is exactly what it says, 'Backup' in case of loss like I had.

These are for objects that are created by you without the aid of any other designer works whatsoever.  I can take my backup files and upload back to SL or my other VR world through OpenSims.

6 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

If you created the animation  you'll be able to get the UUID of the animation.
You can download the animation from the CDN with http://asset-cdn.glb.agni.lindenlab.com/?animatn_id=UUID

I got a UUID from one of my old animations and got the file from your URL, but I can't see any way to use it.  Won't import and looking at it in notepad I can't see much use.  Likely I am missing something?

image.png.f9eb387a7eae19750fa64353eadb95f7.png

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I got a UUID from one of my old animations and got the file from your URL, but I can't see any way to use it.  Won't import and looking at it in notepad I can't see much use.  Likely I am missing something?

image.png.f9eb387a7eae19750fa64353eadb95f7.png

I think it was converted to the "guess how it works" undocumented internal anim file format... I don't own avastar so I have no idea if it's a legit anim file.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

If you're the creator of a mesh object, an animation, or most textures, you already have that original content on your computer and should not need to worry about downloading the content from SL.

Those of us that have been creating for a decade have certainly lost things over time. I have had at least six computers in that time and even though I make extensive backups, things have disappeared. So having the ability to download and uploaded mesh CAN be a very important feature.  You don't get everything always and you of course don't have an active file, but it can save a lot of time and effort.

TO BE CLEAR the download and backup features in the third party viewers will NOT let you export files that were not uploaded by the avatar trying to download. 

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, RoseannArabia said:

@WhirlyFizzle  I tried the link you gave for the animations but it turned up a syntax error when trying to load the page.  Can I get that link again?

Read the link. You have to replace part of the link with the animation's UUID that you can copy from your inventory.

For example, and this is an animation I created: http://asset-cdn.glb.agni.lindenlab.com/?animatn_id=21bbda13-f47a-e080-3f8a-d5a88c68167e

P.S. Pointing out this url is kind of questionable, since animation UUIDs are very easily seen in-viewer even if you don't own them.

Edit: Or I guess not. The downloaded file is 1 KB, so it's not valid.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

2 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Read the link. You have to replace part of the link with the animation's UUID that you can copy from your inventory.

For example, and this is an animation I created: http://asset-cdn.glb.agni.lindenlab.com/?animatn_id=21bbda13-f47a-e080-3f8a-d5a88c68167e

P.S. Pointing out this url is kind of questionable, since animation UUIDs are very easily seen in-viewer even if you don't own them.

Doesn't matter. Doesn't work :D.  And yes I had thought the same thing about "use". 🙃

It would be a wonderful thing to have --- IF it was only for the creator's use AND it gave you the bvh file!

Edited by Chic Aeon

@Wulfie Reanimator  Oh, I see!  Thank you!  Years ago I was able to download the text version of my animations, but I'm clueless how I did it now.  I guess I'm going to have to dig a little deeper on that topic.  I'm pretty sure if I can get the animation's code I can bring it into Blender to work with it.  If I figure it out I will let all of you know.  Thanks again for all the help.

I really wish that Second Life would provide an export ability along side uploading for this very situation.  I just can't see why they haven't done it yet if they are your own creations. :((  They've had features way back that were very useful and became obsolete over time.  If anyone knows why this is let me know so I can have a solid conversation with them about it.

2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

I think it was converted to the "guess how it works" undocumented internal anim file format... I don't own avastar so I have no idea if it's a legit anim file.

Yes it's an .anim file.
I think Avastar allows editing .anim?

2 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Edit: Or I guess not. The downloaded file is 1 KB, so it's not valid.

That works.
Add the .anim file extension & you can upload it.

2 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

They shouldn't be, unless you go trawling through viewer logs, which gives the URL.

1 minute ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Yes it's an .anim file.
I think Avastar allows editing .anim?

That works.
Add the .anim file extension & you can upload it.

Oh, duh. I forgot about ol' anim. (Hence why it looks like jumbled mess in a text editor -- it's a binary file unlike BVH which is human-readable.)

1 minute ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

They shouldn't be, unless you go trawling through viewer logs, which gives the URL.

I meant more like Developer > Avatar > Animation Info or llGetAnimationList and copypaste to new-found URL. But there are easier ways to do this if you wanted to I guess. *shrug*

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

I don’t understand the difference between backup and saving as collada. I have done the latter only. 

Backup as I said is for PRIM builds, not mesh.

And  (not to Pamela) an anim file won't help me any LOL.  But that's OK. I like making poses and animations; just don't do it that often.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

I don’t understand the difference between backup and saving as collada. I have done the latter only. 

@Pamela Galli  me commenting on this is a little like the blind leading the blind, but I do know that collada files coincide primarily with 3D software programs and seem to work best when using it for mesh.  I did see that some animations can be exported using collada, however, it has issues with some bones made up in parts of the animation.  I just wanted to at least give it a shot at answering your question.  Backing up seems to work best with most everything else.  *shrugs* I hope this helped at least a little.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Backup as I said is for PRIM builds, not mesh.

And  (not to Pamela) an anim file won't help me any LOL.  But that's OK. I like making poses and animations; just don't do it that often.

Thanks. I have exported prim builds as collada, not sure how backing up would have a different outcome.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1920 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.