Locking an object to a house and like counts.

Jerilynn Lemon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1898 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Two questions:

1) If I were to lock furniture, pictures, general house stuff to the house I am currently living in and take it back into inventory, when I re drop the house back (as a coagulated box at either in a different angle or region) would the items remain in their original positions?

2) If I were to comment in a thread that is by all means going to get a boot due to an OP being so dense, they have no clue to what posters are saying is actually helpful (a recent one comes to mind), would any like I receive on that thread be eliminated? I can no longer see my response but does any like remain in the like count? (ok, three questions. My bad)

27 minutes ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

Two questions:

1) If I were to lock furniture, pictures, general house stuff to the house I am currently living in and take it back into inventory, when I re drop the house back (as a coagulated box at either in a different angle or region) would the items remain in their original positions?

2) If I were to comment in a thread that is by all means going to get a boot due to an OP being so dense, they have no clue to what posters are saying is actually helpful (a recent one comes to mind), would any like I receive on that thread be eliminated? I can no longer see my response but does any like remain in the like count? (ok, three questions. My bad)

1 yes ... BUT ( big  but) when you try to unlink, because linked animated stuff gets wonky... you will end with all your furniture de linked to seperate parts . for a exmple a 4 prim chair will end as 4 seperate rpims... a 25 chandelier will become a 25 seperate parts mess.

2 if your posts get deleted also the gotten "likes" are gone

• Like 1

1. I think you'd have to link them all together. Though depending on the amount of items you might exceed the link limit of 256? (someone correct me if I'm wrong.. like that wouldn't happen anyway..). Once linked together, then you can take the bundle o stuff up and re-plop it down somewhere. [ETA: oh yeah i forgot about the never being able to unlink them part..]

Locking just helps prevent you from accidentally deleting your floor and plummeting thousands of meters. Fine, that isn't all but it's what I use it for..

• Like 1

If you have your items locked (not linked) in edit mode you will not be able to pick them up until you have unlocked them.

If I understand correctly you would like to pick up your house with all furnishings into your inventory so you can rez it as a whole in another place.

You'd have to do the following.

1) select all items (house and furnishings) and take them into your inventory as an coalescent(?) object.

2) At the place you want to rerez your house go into edit mode first.

3) while still in edit mode rez your house and furniture object from your inventory. It will be in edit mode with all of it's parts selected which allows you to move it as one object into place.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Christhiana said:

select all items

this is the most suitable thing to do it, what i mostly see as very unhelpfull is that you can't see the exact angle and rotation when you start moving it, that works only with linking.
Secondary is 'selecting" often skips a few things so you still have to add that back manually

Have to try this a few times with some random prims or items.. tricky is also as soon you click one time on somthing else or make a wrong move with your mouse, everything is deselected. When moving on a empty plot it's ease to re-select, but if there already is landscaping or other items you end with kinda messy result. Only using a thing like area search will help to select the precise items on such parcels.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

Secondary is 'selecting" often skips a few things so you still have to add that back manually 

What I usually do to avoid this problem is drag select. Then I lift the selected items up a few meters in the air to see if anything that I didn't select stays behind. If so I put the selected items back down and either manually select or drag select the object(s) I missed the first time. It's has worked great for me so far. A bit more 'advanced way to do it would of course be 'using a rez box.

I believe the best way would be to link groups of no-animated items. Let us say a carpet, a table, a stack of books, a tea cup, a bowl of fruits and a lamp. When the lamp is the last added to the linkset, it still works on/off, right? I don't have that much experience with linking. I always changed interiors so often, there was no need.

You mention pictures, they are ideal to link.

Animated objects should always be selected so it appears as a coalesced item in your inventory. Coalesced items is harder to place, as already mentioned. I think I would work in smaller areas like rooms, not try a whole house with all furniture in one go. It is also very helpful to place the house exactly in the 90, 180, 270, 360 angle. Really helpful for me at least.

Take your house first, if you have edited it as you want. If you have not edited it, I would just delete it and rez a new one on the new spot. Then you have the furniture left, and it is easier to drag select room by room.

Rez the old house or the new house, and place back the furniture room by room.

4 hours ago, Christhiana said:

If you have your items locked (not linked) in edit mode you will not be able to pick them up until you have unlocked them.

If I understand correctly you would like to pick up your house with all furnishings into your inventory so you can rez it as a whole in another place.

You'd have to do the following.

1) select all items (house and furnishings) and take them into your inventory as an coalescent(?) object.

2) At the place you want to rerez your house go into edit mode first.

3) while still in edit mode rez your house and furniture object from your inventory. It will be in edit mode with all of it's parts selected which allows you to move it as one object into place.

First name a blank cube whatever you want the group to be called in inventory. Then select it last.

Not a good idea to actually link some scripted things because they operate based on the scripts being in the root prim, which would no longer be root.

People contact me often because they don’t understand that once they link and unlink, their stuff is just a pile of  prims. 

• Like 2

I believe if you lock an object and try to take it into inventory you will just get a warning window. You will need to click a button in the warning window to continue. To answer your question, yes you can lock furniture and take everything together as a coalesced object into your inventory AND rez that object back in world with everything in the same place as before. I do like linking unscripted furniture to my house. I leave scripted furniture unlinked. I also lock everything and always use an extra prim as the last object as Pamela suggests.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1898 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.